New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Honey Next Topic  

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  11:33:05 AM  Show Profile
Last Sunday I bought honey from a bee keeper here in my village. It is NOT the liquid kind but the other kind, the not runny kind (no other way to describe it, lol)

WHAT to do with it, other than putting it on a sandwich and enjoying it?
I know about the fluid honey, I can use that in many many products etc. But the other kind I just don't know anything about.

Any suggestions??

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  3:58:42 PM  Show Profile
You could cook with it. Instead of sugar. I make bread and it calls for honey. I put it in hot tea. I also use it to make syrups when I can fruits instead of sugar. Also, if you have allergies like I do, take a spoonful every day.

That sounds so interesting, a bee keeper from your village. I'd love to hear more about where you live. I've been wanting to ask you to tell more about it when I've seen you on other threads, but this one is yours, so you can do that now. You probably have already but I've only been here a few months now. I'd like to learn more if you've got time.

Thanks, Kris
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  12:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Is it just in a jar and hard? But you can still scoop it?
We have honey like that here from the bee keeper on the ranch. I have 2 big jars, I've had them since last spring and only partly used the one up! I can scoop mine out with a spoon and will put it in a dish and heat in the microwave for 5 seconds, maybe 10 but no more. That makes it runny and easy to drizzle.

The cook at the feedlot just puts it in the squeeze bottles and will heat it in warm water every few months to keep it flowing.

I will also take a spoonfull to stir into my warm tea.
Does it really work for allergies? I would try that!

HTH
Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  1:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
What kind of honey are you talking about that is thin? Is it from the grocery store? You know they actually water down the honey from the grocery store.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:34:51 PM  Show Profile
It is the solid kind of honey. I can scoop it and I know i can use it in tea. But there are other uses too, and I just don't know them, lol.
It is a very good quality, natural honey and it tastes very good!

And no, I bought it from the bee keeper himself. He makes the honey, well the bees do, lol. But he puts it in the jars and sell it from his home.

AND I will tell more about my country. But it is 2.30 AM . Just had my friend and her sister over for a fun girls eve. so am tired and go to bed, lol.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  5:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, natural honey is so delish, I have a local beekeeper I get it from too. I know there are cookbooks just for honey. I'm going to get me some because I'm not going to buy the sugar that is Genetically Modified. I refuse to! I know if you use honey in your bread it helps keep it moist. I adore it in tea also, but I have to be a good farmgirl, because I end up with more honey than tea, ;0)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey, Dutchy, I just came up with a new one. Last night my tummy was going a little crazy, so I got a glass of my homemade buttermilk and put a tblsp. of honey in it. It is really good. My buttermilk is really thick, almost like plain yogurt, so that wuold work, too.

I watched a documentary on fair trade coffee a while ago. Very informative. I learned that it all started in the Netherlands! Around 1987 I think they said. A Father Franz Van Der Hoff. Ever heard of him? He got the ball rolling.

Have you heard of the Max Havelarr Foundation? That was mentioned,too. It was really interesting. It's called "Buyer Be Fair- The Promise."
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:16:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
OOh Kristin, could You tell me how you make your homemade buttermilk?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  1:36:46 PM  Show Profile
Marian, I would be interested in your village/country and how you live over there, as well. It's always fascinating to learn about other cultures and how they do things.

Elise, honey is a great way to combat allergies. But it has to be local (or fairly local) honey and raw honey is even better because it would contain most or all of the pollens from your area. If you are ingesting the local pollens, you build up an immunity to them and allergies subside. Store bought would be worthless for that purpose and it is overly processed anyway.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  2:07:11 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, I have goats so I use raw milk. You need a culture to start with. I just used store bought buttermilk. Once you get it made, you just keep some to start more batches.

Just take a quart jar, add 1/4 cup buttermilk and fill the rest of the way with milk. (you can use cow milk, too). Put a lid on and put it somewhere that's not hot but not cold, either. I put mine in my laundry room. Check it after 24 hours. Sometimes it doesn't take that long, sometimes it takes longer. You just want it the right consistancy for you. When it is done to your liking, refrigerate it to stop the action. (I can't think of any other word for it) And that's it.

You always want to keep at least enough to make a few more qrts.

I did forget to say you need to use local raw honey for the allergies. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Honey Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page