Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Darning Eggs Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  11:24:29 AM  Show Profile
I have noticed several different types of antique darning eggs on ebay recently. I think they are beautiful in their simplicity. Can some girls who are more expert seamstresses tell me what they are and how they are used? I am just always curious.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  2:20:18 PM  Show Profile
They are for mending socks. You slip it into the toe (or heel) of the sock so you can darn the holes. I am trying to get DH to carve one for me. :)

Annie
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16394 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16394 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  2:41:15 PM  Show Profile
If you haven't time to carve an egg for darning socks, you can always use an old light bulb. In some ways I like a light bulb better because the stem serves as a handle.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  4:28:13 PM  Show Profile
There are also small darning eggs made for little ones to mend their own socks. I have a cute one which I think is around 85 years old. It is painted to look like a "flapper girls" head complete with the marcelled hairdo. Tiny darners were also made, many in sterling or ivory. They were used to mend fingertips on gloves.

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2005 :  7:37:45 PM  Show Profile
When I wanted to learn to sew, my G'ma said I had to learn to darn socks and sew by hand first. So I did. I have three eggs of differnt sizes and shapes. G'ma is gone, but I darn not throw a mendable sock away, I would hear the loud clucking of her tongue in my head till I darned the sock.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2005 :  5:53:00 PM  Show Profile
my favorite 'darning egg' in my antique collection is a sweet little pink one for doing baby socks.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Darning Eggs Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page