Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic film on canning jars? Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  6:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hi Gals -
I'm still a little new to canning but I've never had this problem until this summer. After washing the canning jars, I boil them for 6 minutes. Only 3 fit well into my pot at a time, and only the first three come out clean without a film on them. I have to chuck the water and start over to do the next three.
It looks like a mineral film of some kind, something in the water I suppose. My hubby says not to worry, the jars are sterile, but... YUCK! Who wants a jar with a film on it, no matter how easy it comes off?

Any ideas on what it is, and if it's a problem? I can't imagine that this film isn't there in very minute amounts even in the first three jars. Nothing has had trouble sealing and nothing I have canned earlier in the year appears to have turned bad or anything.

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  7:02:29 PM  Show Profile
I would guess it's the minerals in your water and wouldn't be harmful, but you may want to call your local extension office and get their opinion.
Good luck!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  9:00:50 PM  Show Profile
I have the same problem Lynn, particularly when I use the pressure canner. We have a deep well and Sharon is right, it comes from the minerals in the water. It's harmless, just not asthetically pleasing.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  11:08:52 PM  Show Profile
I would add a little white vinegar to the water..it helps alot! I always put a little in my pressure canner water and also my water bath canner water. We have really hard water here and in no time there is hard water film on my jars. Do you mean on the inside of empty jars or on the outside of full jars that you already have food in, and are canning?

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  12:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Mine is on the outside of the jars. A little vinegar in the water will prevent that Jenny?

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  03:17:07 AM  Show Profile
I get this too if the jars air dry. It's on the outside.

It's most evident when I drain the canner and wipe out the inside

I get this white powdery residue

We are on well water and get heavy mineral deposits

like the other gals say, a little white vinegar really helps
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  08:51:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Thanks gals! I knew you all would know and maybe have the same issue - will try the vinegar and see if it helps (it should). I should have thought of that, as I do run our water through a distiller and have to put vinegar water in it every few days to loosen all those deposits and city chemicals.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic film on canning jars? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page