Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 How do I get the film off old blue fruit jars????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How do I get the film off old blue fruit jars???? Next Topic  

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  6:10:55 PM  Show Profile
I went to an old farm estate sale yesterday and I purchased a basket and 1 box of blue quart and 1/2 gallon blue fruit jars and a few brown quart jars. They have been in a shed and very dirty. I rinsed them out and then let them soak in amnonia water and then cleaned with brush and cloth. That didn't take the cloudy like film off them so then I washed in hot soapy water...rinsed in clear water and vinigar water...no luck, anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of the cloudy film and get them to shine? I usually don't have this problem. Help!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  6:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarita- I would suggest soaking them in straight vinegar. If that doesn't work it might be permanent.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  03:03:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee, I didn't want to hear that. I also have some rust scattered on a few and I am not getting that off either.

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  06:43:17 AM  Show Profile
If you have rust, a paste of lemon juice and salt might work or there is a product called Whink (at the grocery store)that will take it off. It is a bit caustic, so wear gloves. But if you love the jars, it may be worth a try. You might also want to try CLR on the jars to see if that works on the film if the vinegar doesn't. I hope you can get them clean. It makes me sad when a jar or nice piece of glass cannot be rescued.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  5:32:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, gals. I am soaking 3 of the jars in vinegar right now. I will see if I can get Whink...I don't remember seeing it. One of the jars that I thought was an old clear 1/2 gal jar is a very light rose color when I got it cleaned up. I have many blue jars now and use them to store everything: beans, macaroni, etc in the 1/2 gal jars. I just love them. I also fell sad when I can not restore jars to be usable. I better get busy, just another basket and the rest of the box.
Thanks again
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  6:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Don't give up until you've tried baking soda. Soak them in warm water with a lot of dissolved soda, then use a little elbow grease and sprinkle baking soda like cleanser.
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  09:49:30 AM  Show Profile
Zud works great for rust, too. I make a paste w/water and put on stubborn stains to soak.
Go to Top of Page

handyam
True Blue Farmgirl

394 Posts

Ada Mae
Greensburg KY.
USA
394 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile
Lime Away worked for me on some jars and a couple of old glasses that my grandmother had rooted flowers in. Took it right off.

www.adasadorableaprons.blogspot.com

This is the day that the Lord has made.
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  5:26:16 PM  Show Profile
Vinegar didn't work, Greased lightening didn't work. I will try baking soda and Zud. I forgot to get any CLR or Lime away...just have 3 jars that I can not get the film off. All the rest are very shiny.
Thanks for all the ideas.
Sarita

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  9:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
You might try denture tablets. I have read that this works great on hard water build up in flower vases.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  05:07:15 AM  Show Profile
Is it a film or are they just so old, the shine has wore off?

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2008 :  10:08:04 AM  Show Profile
What about an SOS pad to clean them?
Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2008 :  9:28:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
I agree with Alee. Whenever my canning jars get a build up of lime or other things, I pour straight whit vinegar in the jars and let the soak for at least overnight.

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic How do I get the film off old blue fruit jars???? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page