prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  3:05:51 PM  Show Profile
we planted 3 cherry tomatoe plants this year, not knowing they would produce so well. so now i have more than i can use... any suggestions for yummy recipes including cherry tomatoes?

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  3:15:48 PM  Show Profile
Yummy! My cherry tomatoes did not do as well as usual this year. I think it is due to the fact that we tried to do them in containers. I really love them just plain but I had planned on drying some this year as I spend a small fortune on sundried tomatoes each month and I thought it would be fun to try making my own. Once they were dried I was going to try storing them in some olive oil with italian herbs. I also love soaking fresh cherry tomatoes in a bit of balsamic vinegar and then eating them with some fresh mozzerella cheese and fresh baked bread.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

jinia
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

jinia
mo
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile
YUM..toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400ish. Roast until they have burst and deflated. My favorite grown up grilled cheese is to toast a crusty bread, top with goat cheese, basil, and lastly roasted tomatoes. Hot or cold it is amazing!!. Another favorite is to roast with other veggies and toss with a hardy pasta like penne' topped with parmesean..Now I am hungry..Have fun!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  3:57:01 PM  Show Profile
christina, how do you sun-dry them? and both your recipes sound absolutely delicious! i can't wait to try them!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  4:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Make salsa!!! They are sweet and yummy and work just great in salsa..I do it all the time. Seems like the cherry tomato plants always produce the best. I have got to where I only plant one yellow pear and one regular cherry along with LOTS of regular size ones..I still end up with alot of extra cherries!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  7:40:16 PM  Show Profile
I did some sun-dried tomatoes a few months ago and put them in jars with EVOO and herbs, too. I had no idea they wouldn't last on the shelf, though. I just assumed that if they were in a jar with EVOO they would be preserved. NOT!!!! I guess they need to be refrigerated asap. I started smelling something horrid a few days later and realized it was my tomatoes. So how would you process them if you wanted to keep them indefinetely? Just refrigerate?
The mozzerella and Italian is good, too.

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  08:26:16 AM  Show Profile
Believe it or not, I actually canned up some in pints (I think I need to get out more). I might use these with macaroni and tomatoes. I do like to make this fresh salad: wash and cut cherry tomatoes in half, add 3-4 T. olive oil, 2 T. White vinegar, fresh garlic and onion chopped, black olives sliced, feta cheese (however much you want), add whatever spices that you like and chill for an hour. Yum

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com

Edited by - doglady on Sep 22 2008 08:27:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  11:46:54 AM  Show Profile
I freeze mine! I have a whole box in the freezer and use them in my pasta sauce, yumm

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  07:07:35 AM  Show Profile
Kris, i'm surprised and wonder if the tomotaoes weren't fully dried. I dry cherry tomatoe adn have seen it in several of the magazines talked about here. Cool dark place is needed too.

For a recipe, half the tomatoes with some chard or Kale and fry with olive oil. It was just lovely and I got greens!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile
You can sun dry the tomatoes on a screen outside in the sun. That way the air can circulate around them while they dry. I have found it much easier though to just dry them in my oven. I lay them on a jerky screen on top of a jelly roll pan. The humididty here in Nebraska makes doing them in the sun an almost impossible feat. Plus, all the critters try to eat them before I can. Then I use foodsaver to store them in once they are all cooled and dry.

When I put them in the olive oil and seasonings I only do a small batch at a time because without proper processing they won't last. I am just a beginning canner so I don't know how to preserve them correctly yet.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic any ideas for cherry tomatoes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page