Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Is anyone concerned about the whole bank crisis?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is anyone concerned about the whole bank crisis? Next Topic
Page: of 3

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  2:08:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm not so much worried about the banks but the whole of America's economic systems. It all seems to me to be a house of cards since we went off of any kind of monetary standard. Our money is basically worth only what we imagine it to be worth. And if you recall, that was one of the speculated reasons behind the terrorists hitting the World Trade Centers, is to bring our entire economy into collapse. Then there was speculation that China was also trying to destroy us by making our economy falter. WAYYYYYY to scary for me to think on for very long. And yes, I believe that's why I'm interested in self sufficiency. I'm not sure how long my government will be able to hold things together so I need to start preparing. The up side is that if America's economy goes down so does a lot of the rest of the world since we are all interrelated now. If that happens I think I'll hitch-hike west and move in with Aunt Jenny!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Edited by - acairnsmom on Sep 22 2008 2:09:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  2:32:45 PM  Show Profile
We got a letter from our bank (Wachovia) saying that we would only be allowed 7000.00 dollars withdraw a day. So the idea that you'd get your money "up to 100,000" is quite false. We read also where a man was denied his 15000.00 because "we simply do not have that cash at the bank sir".
Buy rice, build a green house, stock up on dry milk and dried beans and peanut butter, and get ready. It's about to get really dagum bad. The dollar is worth diddly, prices will go up up up and we'll afford less less less. I think in a twisted way it's going to be good for America. IMO we've been getting to big for our britches and this will knock a few teeth out, and make us get some muscles.
That's my 2$(use to be 2c, see how the dollar is worthless?)
P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  3:30:15 PM  Show Profile
I spoke with my Financial Planner last week and he told me "sit tight" while everyone jockies around for the next couple of months. I thought of taking money out, but he advised not to because that affects the banks solvency. I do have my cash on hand for emergencies which I'll increase as I get paid, but for now I'm just gonna hang in and watch what happens. I'm hoping my regional bank doesn't get bought out, cause I like them.

I too am hoping good things come from this and people start to realize that taking care of themselves and their families is much more important than having it all - on credit.

I do get angry about the bail out though. I've worked very hard keeping up my mortgage, paying off my bills and being a good steward of my money and financial responsibilities and noone has offered people like me anything. Sour grapes I guess

BTW - you can see how your bank rates at rateyourbank.com
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  4:20:44 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by La Patite Ferme

I spoke with my Financial Planner last week and he told me "sit tight" while everyone jockies around for the next couple of months. I thought of taking money out, but he advised not to because that affects the banks solvency. I do have my cash on hand for emergencies which I'll increase as I get paid, but for now I'm just gonna hang in and watch what happens. I'm hoping my regional bank doesn't get bought out, cause I like them.

I too am hoping good things come from this and people start to realize that taking care of themselves and their families is much more important than having it all - on credit.

I do get angry about the bail out though. I've worked very hard keeping up my mortgage, paying off my bills and being a good steward of my money and financial responsibilities and noone has offered people like me anything. Sour grapes I guess

BTW - you can see how your bank rates at rateyourbank.com

Jen, I am in complete agreement with and am doing everything pretty much as you've said as well. Especially the bail-out piece of it. Of course, many economists saw this coming, and as far as I'm concerned, this is precisely why de-regulation was a huge mistake (apparently the S&L fiasco of the 80's taught some people nothing). *sigh*

"I believe in God, only I spell it Nature." -- Frank Lloyd Wright
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  07:01:39 AM  Show Profile
Does any one remember "It's a Wondeful Life" That was one of the problems in the film at that time, folks wanted all their money back then. Definietly have some on hand, several hundred if you can pull it, but in the long run sustainablility as is discussed through out these pages is key, food stock, making your own soaps, etc.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  08:38:26 AM  Show Profile
What I don't like is that all the "big guys" in these banks and firms are getting million dollar bonuses every year. My husband works for a bank and it is ridiculous what the big guy in his bank would get as a yearly bonus~last year 6 million dollars and then my husband is told he can't order more pens for his department because they need to keep the budget down. Ridiculous!!

If we bail them out then noone should be getting these bonuses. What about accountability. When will they pay for the huge mistakes they have made? I think alot of this had to do with greed.

Just my two cents.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  08:56:54 AM  Show Profile
Paige-- I had to laugh at your closing comments. Too funny, but, sadly, also too TRUE!!! We Amercians are just so SPOILED!!! (Some really SHOW IT!!!)

I have been watching the "trends" for a long time and when that whole "housing boom" began, my husband was ALL FOR jumping on the wagon. I had this sense of impending DOOM over the whole thing (God was tapping me on the shoulder saying "uh-hu! DON'T do it!!!). Hubby and I had quite a few FIGHTS over the whole situation, but in the end, he finally agreed with me. I think he's glad that he finally listened! Now he's seeing the affects with his own two eyes (and felt it in his own pocket!!).

His sister bought a house during that time-- one that needed more restoration than she and her husband ever imagined (he's a contractor and they did all the work themselves, but there's so much more to DO!). They also already HAD a mortgage on another house (WHY BUY ANOTHER ONE WHEN YOU HAVEN'T PAID FOR THE FIRST? I just don't get that.... ???????). Well, when the "bubble" EPLODED, they were stuck between a rock and a hard place. WE had to give them $1500 to hlep them out (my mother-in-law contributed quite a bit too!) so they wouldn't lose their home that they'd been paying on for several years now. The thing is-- they aren't LIVING in EITHER of them! The one they were aleady buying is being rented out (they couldn't sell it after two years on the market) and the other house is basically stalled in the restoration process. They have been living with my Mother-in-law for the past 6+ months or so. (HUH??????) Oh well. I just look at their situation and think-- "Man, WE sure dodged a bullet!"

Now if I could just convince my Husband to SAVE money instead of spend it like he won't be here tomorrow!! OH the FRUSTRATION!!!!! But, I'm prepared! We've got critters on the farm that can feed us in more ways than one (plenty of sheep and miniature Dairy goats, and horses for transportaion! LOL!), and I've been saving heirloom and op seeds for years. Also, we have chickens and plenty of storage for other foods. No worries here mates!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  09:34:24 AM  Show Profile
Ruth thats how I see it to, Why should we tax payers have to pay for the big dogs, We are trying to keep a close watch and when we dont feel comfortable we will pull ours out. That might not be so good for the banking buiness but if anyone spends my money I had rather it was me. I am definately against the bailout. We have been thru some tight times to and no one bailed us out. I think everyone that dipped their hands in the pot should have to spend one year working on a farm. Maybe they would learn where money comes from

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2008 :  4:26:57 PM  Show Profile
The bailout should be only under very strict reforms and regulations regarding the CEOs and their obscene bonuses and other Wall Street fatcats that created this whole mess with their greed. I think that's a huge part of this downward economy, but also the mentality of the "American dream" and keeping up with the Joneses that over extended credit a lot of people just couldn't handle. The past couple of generations (starting with the boomers) has become so spoiled and alway felt they were "entitled". Maybe a good kick in the arse is what everyone needs....but hopefully not in such a drastic way (like a 2nd depression). I don't want to get political, but I will briefly. It doesn't matter which party...but lobbyists and special interest groups from big corporations have bought so many politicians that they've looked the other way for a very long time... not to go against their contributors. I have a really hard time believing anyone anymore, including the two candidates running for president. The whole thing is very complicated and everyone from the top to the average joe contributed (me included....gotta get real!). As far as doing anything with my bank, I'm sitting tight...but one stock fund I had I changed to an annuity. I need to keep my money stable as I'm not that young and have 20 to 30 years to recoup.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

chickabella
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

D. A.
Austin... ish, Texas
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  03:18:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by shepherdgirl

We've got critters on the farm that can feed us in more ways than one (plenty of sheep and miniature Dairy goats, and horses for transportaion! LOL!), and I've been saving heirloom and op seeds for years. Also, we have chickens and plenty of storage for other foods

Reminds me of a survivalist joke, along the lines of "you might be a redneck if"...

You might be a survivalist if you have emergency rations for your pets, and see your pets as emergency rations.

On a more serious note, I'm worried about all that's going on as well. I'm hoping for the best (economy stabilises, etc.), but am preparing for the worst. If all else fails, I'll have a more self-sufficient lifestyle that is also easier on the planet. Can't go wrong with that!

Farm blog: http://farmnatters.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dasparky
Heart of Texas Farmgirls Chapter; Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #275

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  11:41:21 AM  Show Profile
I am all for the government NOT passing the bailout bill. I know the whole economy will crash. Maybe that is what we need. Start over. How many times have we personally, had to do that? We would all be wealthy if someone came along and fixed all our $ mistakes. No, we dug in and fixed it ourselvs. The country and big business can do it too. I heard this a.m. that "they" are wanting to bail out credit card co and bad student loans in this same bill! We may all wish we had planted a bigger garden.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  12:16:57 PM  Show Profile
we also watch fox news and several of the financial guys say that the government should stay out of this mess......let the people who are going to fall---well, fall! the sooner they do, the sooner things will start to fix themselves up again. frankly, i'm so sick of feeling like i'm being taxed to death to support so many people who really don't care and aren't concerned enough to want to take care of themselves. i know there are certain instances, like people who are sick or disabled.....but for the many who are just too plain lazy and think, what the heck, it's no sweat off my back if i don't pay my obligations......that's what makes me mad.
Go to Top of Page

pasofino
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Claudia
Stony Creek New York
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2008 :  4:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Send pasofino a Yahoo! Message
Interesting is an understatement !!!!!....I live in the Adirondacks....so many people cant pay there taxes or there LAST years fuel bill...contrary wife said it..... Its very scary....I now have my own hens...garden...rabbits.... and horses for transportation....Wake up...

Happy Trails,Claudia
Sisterhood #328
www.wolfpondstables.com
www.friendsofwolfpond.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  8:13:23 PM  Show Profile
As of tonight, the death knell has rung for WAMU, Washington Mutual is no longer.
Your money is still good as it's deposits were sold to a live bank, but wamu is kaput. Oh, and did you hear the FDIC needs money to keep it afloat. Isn't that just the worst!

P~

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  4:02:53 PM  Show Profile
wakovia looks like it'll be next to bite the dust. i started moving money out of there yesterday, hope to get more out on monday. i'm concerned because i have to pay the taxes on my house in november and don't want to take a chance that i'd have to wait to get any money if they have to reorganize or anything. i don't feel like we are paranoid or panicking, but i'm just trying to think ahead to avoid something stupid happening. good luck to everyone.....but i know that farmgirls are smart and think ahead!!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  5:33:48 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you guys that sometimes things just have to hit bottom before they can get better. You know what? When I wanted to buy a house, we SAVED money for two years and spent not one dime without having first put it in the bugdet. No extra food, no extra gas, NOTHING. My dad said to get only the amount of mortgage that we could pay with one salary because you never know what could happen. Thank God we listening because within one year, my first husband was diagnosed with cancer and unable to work for sometimes months at a time!!

I am tired of paying for people who do not put limits on themselves, yet expect others to pick up their pieces. Time to put the money in the mattress!!

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  8:57:42 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn that is the exact same mentality we had when buying a house. It took us 3 years to save for this house and we figured that we could still pay the mortgage if we only had MY salary as mine was the lesser of the two and dh's job was more hazardous and more likely he could get hurt. That very thing has happened more than once and dh is in the middle of another major injury now. I'm so glad that we were smart enough to do that or we could have lost our home a long time ago.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  3:16:26 PM  Show Profile
The Food Preservation class was awesome. Had a good turnout.
Oct 11 & 18th I'll be teaching Frugal Feasting at 2 local library's. I'll post the handouts on my blog after the class.

Alee, Thanks for asking!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  3:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad it went so well, Kristine! Your classes are _exactly_ what people are needing right now!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  3:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Here's what Thomas Jefferson said on these topics:

"I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against any form
of tyranny over the minds and lives of men. To preserve our
independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt.
We must take our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and
servitude. If we run into such debts, we must be taxed in our meat and
drink, in our necessities and in our
comforts, in our labors and in our amusements. If we can prevent the
government from wasting the labor of the people under the pretense of
caring for them, they [the people] will be happy."
-- Thomas Jefferson

Very interesting and true! Oh, boy, we may be in for a ride.
At least our lives won't be boring.... :)

Blessings,

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  3:36:11 PM  Show Profile
I do some of my banking at a local savings & loan. They do not sell the mortgages like those huge banks have been doing. The mortgage I have on my house was sold five times before GMAC bought it 10 years ago. I certainly hope they are on solid footing. I would like to pay my house off and save the payments for future use--remodeling.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2008 :  4:09:49 PM  Show Profile
Kristene I wish we had some more Thomas Jeffersons running our country now,If we ever figure out what happened to COMMON sense I think things would get better

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  05:58:57 AM  Show Profile
i can't agree with you more, miss wilma. if, instead of jefferson, madison, washington, we had the current clowns in Washington, DC meeting in that bar in Philadelphia back in 1776,...well, we'd be singing "hail to the queen"!! i wish they would realize that they should think of the country as a whole instead of their own personal pocketbooks.
Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  07:48:23 AM  Show Profile
I guess Sue we are just going to have to do what we can to survive. You know I look at it this way as long as we try to do whats right there will be away made for us,When I hear and see all of the deceit and crooked dealings it just makes me more determined to try to keep what little I have close to me, seems like the greedy can never get enough . But look at it this way they may do wrong now but sometime there will be a reckoning in their lives and they will have to pay

Farm Girl #96

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2008 :  09:11:45 AM  Show Profile
The wonderful thing about this country, it was formed for freedom and more than just survivial, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.

May we have FARMGIRL JOY in our lives everyday, at our own farms and in our family's...as the world goes on with it's drama.

Blessings,

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Is anyone concerned about the whole bank crisis? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page