susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  7:39:42 PM  Show Profile
We just moved to our new house (today!) and I'm just dying to get out in the garden and do something, anything. Is is too late to plant any fall/early winter vegetables? I'm thinking maybe some kale or chard or carrots? I don't have a lot of experience in trying to really extend the growing season, so I figure now could be a good time to start gaining that experience. We live in south eastern PA. Forget the fact that I have at least one million boxes to unpack, I'm so excited to finally have a yard after a couple of moves over the years from "balcony-only" type places.

You all might think I'm nuts as you're beginning to work on putting your garden to rest after a long growing season, but just thought I'd throw the question out there! Feel free to tell me to just chill out and wait for spring

By the way, it's been SO great to catch up on all the chatter since I've been away from my computer for a few days during the whole moving ordeal. Man, it's good to be back!

Susan

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  8:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
The best resource to ask would be your county extension agent. They know the micro climate where you are at. You very well might be able to! If you can afford to, I highly suggest putting up the Greenhouse the MaryJane put instructions to in one of her latest magazines!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  06:01:10 AM  Show Profile
Susan, Alee's suggestion would be best. Being formerly from WNY I would say you could probably plant chard, lettuces, spinach and other cold short-season veggies (45 days or less). But do yourself a huge favor and get your garden dug or built and amended before snow flies so it'll be ready to go in the spring and you can hit it running then! Have fun. I can feel your excitement. I know what it's like to have only a balcony or second story porch for a yard and crave actual growing space.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Time left this season?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page