JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Hi All:

Just wanted to drop in and say hello. My name is Jena, and I am 35 with a 8 yr old daughter. I am a yoga instructor and have been for about 6 years now. Nice to meet everyone!!

The body has no limits...

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:26:49 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Jena,
Welcome.... I love your tag "The body has no limits", well guess you havent met mine.. hahahah.. actually I believe that statement is Oh SO true! The body is amazing isnt it. I have 4 kids, all boys, ranging in ages of 21-11.....they keep me running. I took a yoga class 2 years ago and stopped because my work load.. but I am planning on getting going again this fall as I loved it and really felt a change in my body with the classes.... and my stess levels. GREAT to have you here.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  4:53:13 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jena, always glad to greet another Washingtonian. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  5:00:16 PM  Show Profile
Nice to have you Jena.....Welcome!!

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  5:34:40 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Hello Jena, Nice to have you here, this is a wonderful place and you will enjoy it so much. Come often and share your world with us...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

Heritage Farmstead
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Brenda Lee
Pavilion NY
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  6:31:47 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jena! I'm new here too...we're the same age, I have an 8 yr. old daughter, a 5 yr son and am in desperate need of a fitness/relaxation plan! lol

Enjoy!
Brenda Lee

Keepin' my dreams alive!
Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  7:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Thanks to all for such a warm welcome! Age and body types have no limits either ladies! Your body can withstand 10 times what you think it can, so you would be very surprised how well you could/can adapt to short session yoga and stretching. My parents live on a Farm, and I can even drive John Deere with a front loader, and a CAT! ha!:) I would love to answer any questions if anyone has any.

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  8:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jena and welcome to the farm! This is such a wonderful site and I know you'll love it as much as I do. I've done some yoga before. Used to do it at home with a video and then I went to a class and was hoping to attend more however I have adhesive capsulitis in my shoulders and fibromyalgia and I ended up hurting so after one session I had to stop Hoping to one day be able to attend a session again and I truly enjoy yoga. Fairly new here too and just became a full fledged sister today...yahoo!

Happy farmgirl sister #353 Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  8:51:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jena,
Welcome aboard and pull up a yoga mat & join in the fun!
I too have tried yoga at home but my cat's nearly hacked up a hair ball from laughing so hard at watching me that I decided it was best saved for a gym or yoga studio... lol!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  06:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Its so unfortunate that I hear the first yoga sessions are not comfortable, more often than not. That just comes down to a uneducated instructor. Yoga is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. Some instructors will try to get you on a fast-track so to speak, and just try to force your body to do positions or stretches that it is just not prepared to do.

The cat caughing up a furball was hysterical!..haha

I have very recently inherited a 1965 VW bug, and a 1969 Camaro. Has anyone here ever had an older car, that could "fill me in" on them? I like the VW a lot!

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  08:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Jena, welcome from Ellensburg! I bought a couple of yoga DVD's, hate the one and enjoy the other. The one I love is very simple and quick...the second one is way too intense and boring. Her monotone about kills me...I swear at her while I'm doing it if that tells you anything.

Look forward to getting to know you better.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  7:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Hi Jami! ( I like that name BTW)

I completely understand the DVD description. Most of the ones I have seen are boring! The ones that are most productive and the simple and quick ones as you mentioned. People that are advanced do not need DVD's to do their workouts. By then, they have their own routines, and know what works best for their body type, and mind. Music is key as well, as it can be a guide for how much time you want to spend doing it. Maybe two songs, or 10! It just depends. Jami, if I may ask a personal question,what is your body type?

Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  7:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jena and welcome from Ga. I just saw you on the thread about gas prices. I left instructions about starting a bug for ya!! Nice to meet you and hello to your daughter, too.

I don't like to exercise. I get all I need in the gardens and wrangling critters. Try picking up a 150 lb goat onto a milk stand or try to get a 260 lb calf off your foot! Now that's some good exercise. And quite fun, too.

I have heard that yoga is very peaceful. I might need to try it after all.

Nice to meet you. I'm sure you're a nice person if you have a VW!
Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  9:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Hi Kris,

Thank you for your nice compliments! It does sound like you have your work cut out for you with the animals! I would love to do that again! It has been a long time!

Let me know if I can answer any questions regarding yoga for you, and anyone else as well!

Thanks for the vw starting tips too. I did respond to your suggestions! Im sure you can relate to the hard starting mornings in a vw!

Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  06:13:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey, Jena, i just thought of one more VERY important thing about OLD VW's. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ever rev up a cold engine!!! You can give the gas a few pumps but that's it until it starts. Then a few GENTLE taps to keep her going. But never rev up the engine. Also if she's too hot she won't start. I was just about born in a VW. That's all my dad ever had. We traveled all over the country in a Van when I was a kid. Great memories. Thanks.
All VW's have their own personalities for sure. They think they're real. Sounds strange but true. You'll see.

Have fun with her. Have you named her yet?

Kris
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  06:14:40 AM  Show Profile
Oh, one more thing then I'll stop. Find a really good VW mechanic. You'll need it!!
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  08:01:46 AM  Show Profile
Hello Jena,
That is so cool that you are a Yoga Instructor!

You are
Welcome
to visit
My Serenity Garden
Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  08:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Hey Kris!

You are good with VW's! I tried what you said, and it worked! I had to pump the gas pedal quite a bit after sever attempts, but on the last try, I just kept pumping fast, and it finally caughed and started! Yay! So, I did not rev it, but I did let it idle and warm up for a bit. It hasnt been started in a while, so I guess that was a normal start up. I have not named her yet...any suggestions??

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile
hi jena! i'm new here as well, but absolutely love the warm hospitality! i LOVE that you are a yoga instructor. i thought about becoming one after getting out of the navy, but havn't pursued it yet. i'm working on becoming a tried and true farm girl, then maybe we'll see where i go from there. i've been doing yoga off and on for 5 years. it's been a life changing experience because doing yoga (and like minded activities, such as tai chi) you can REALLY appreciate what your body has to offer. i agree... i had a great teacher who took things slow and let breathing be the guide. but whenever she had substitutes, they always seemed to merely concentrate on hard poses and going through them quickly. they also forgot the calming effects of relaxing music and lighting like my regular teacher. since then, i've been busy with college and havn't practiced as much as i would like to. but i found some poses that really help my back problems, so i use some poses as back therapy.
my dad restores classic cars... i currently own a '65 mustang and my first car was a '67 dodge coronet. so if you have any questions, i'm sure i could help you out!
anyway, hope you enjoy yourself in the forum!
Go to Top of Page

JenaYoga
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Jena
Washington State
16 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  1:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Send JenaYoga an AOL message
Hi Becky, thanks for the compliment! I look forward to chatting with you soon!

Hi Elizabeth! Yes, I agree, it is hard to find instructors that can understand the level of their students. I try to get to know all of mine, and know their limits. Hard poses are for the advanced, and if an instructor is teaching an advanced class, that would be appropriate, but for beginners, and intermediate, its still mainly the basics. Yes, the ambiance is important as well. Quiet is great for thought and needed concentration.

Yoga, and tai chi are great for back problems, you just need to be consistant with your exercises, so the muscles will pick up the stress of the troubled areas. Have you tried inversion boots? That is great to take the stress off of the spine and hips. I have an inversion bar, and boots that I use almost everyday too. I mainly use it for slow concentrated sit-ups.

The Camaro had a dead battery, so I just bought a new one. I havent tried to start it yet, but I will after I put together my new lesson. Will starting it be similar to the VW?

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Jena from Seattle Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page