Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Looking for a quilting starter kit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Looking for a quilting starter kit Next Topic  

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  2:44:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend that really wants to learn how to sew, and she has her heart set on doing a little quilt! and I think that a simple quilt is not a bad way to start. Do any of your farmgirls make/sell something like that? with pre-cut pieces and some directions? I can get her going on the sewing machine, I'd just love to have a little kit I can get her to start on.

I'd especially love it if I could barter! anything in my prairielandherbs.com website is up for barter, as well as good from my etsy store: girlwithasword.etsy.com

or i can do handspun yarns or rust-dyed fabrics???

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  6:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Maggie,
The 2 first blocks that I sent to you with the BOM club could be used for a whole small quilt and they are very easy. Just a suggestion. Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  12:06:08 PM  Show Profile
It is a LOVELY suggestion Beverly, I was just hoping someone woul dhave one ready-made with precut fabrics!!! :) I can dream, huh???
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  8:17:07 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I'm a little embarassed to admit this but I taught myself to knit, crochet and quilt all using the various books from the Klutz series meant for young girls. It comes with very clear instructions and the materials to make a small project. It's an easy way to learn a new craft without a large investment.

The quilt set even came with some fabric that was premade with dotted lines on where to cut. It also had templates to use on your own fabric too.

Carla

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  07:15:45 AM  Show Profile
i don't think that's embarassing, I think it's pretty cool, and a great suggestion!!
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  10:39:10 AM  Show Profile
That is a good idea Carla! I will look for one with the quilting for me ;)

And I know what you mean, they are easy. I saw one with the elastic loops with the loom, to make pot holdres and such, I had one when I was little. I thought about getting it! My dd is almost 5, but I thought it would be fun for me too! lol

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile
Carla,

I think that is great! I personally love the 'Idiot' books myself! I have so many that my kids goof on me, lol.

Farmgirl #170

Today well lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness, and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  7:24:27 PM  Show Profile
I have Dummy books, Idiot books and I didn't know about the Klutz series....I'm going to google them! I just love to learn and whatever makes it clear to me has my vote! Thanks as always for all your great inspiration and trading of ideas here!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

poverty girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kristin
Fremont Ut
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  09:30:56 AM  Show Profile
Maggie,
I use the charm packs to make my baby quilts. They are packs of precut 5 by 5 matching fabrics. You can usually find them in quilting stores or online. I order most of mine through www.fatquarterquilters.com. They are listed under Charm packs on the left hand side. Super easy to use and I'm really not much of a sewer, just started about 1 year ago! I also ordered a kit from www.mountainpatchwork.com. The kits have instructions for doing a quilt block by hand to frame or doing a full quilt, they also come with pre-cut fabric for one quilt block. They material they use is very old fashioned with alot of calicos. They turn out super cute!! Hope this helps!
Best of luck,

Kristin
Farmgirl #334
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  6:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Kristin thank you for sending those 2 websites! I, like Maggie, am wanting to start quilting and at the same time I need something to do with my hands in the evening while watching/listening to television. I looked at both sites and LOVED them both. I like the kits at Mountain Patchwork and think I will order one. They say everything is included except for the thread. Do you know what kind of thread their kits calls for? Which one did you order? Are you working on it yet? Have you done other kits from them? Thanks again...I am excited!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  6:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Just a thought... If you can't get something already cut in pieces, you could use some pillowcases cut in strips with regular scissors. Get them at the thrift store or through freecycle. Just be sure to measure and mark carefully. Then, when you're done sewing those strips together, you could cut them in blocks, turm them around however you'd like, then sew the blocks together. It's nothing too too fancy, but it would be great for a beginner.
Go to Top of Page

poverty girl
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kristin
Fremont Ut
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2008 :  10:25:14 AM  Show Profile
Sandra,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you! Motherhood you know =0) I can't remember which kit I ordered it's been a couple years. I believe it was the log cabin and square dance kits. The square dance kit was super easy, the log cabin took a little longer. I used just regular sewing machine thread, it was all I could find at the time, the only store in the county doesn't have much of a selection, and it was my first sewing project! Let me know how yours turns out!! Good luck!

Kristin
Farmgirl Sister #334

"There ain't no time for looking pretty when you've gotta slop the pigs."--Haddy Rennet
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Looking for a quilting starter kit Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page