Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  7:09:39 PM  Show Profile
I didn't know where to post this but I am so happy...mother gave me a couple of grandma's aprons. They are old and faded but mean so much to me. I just wanted to share with you...pictures are on my blog. I just had to get them out and take pictures and just to touch them and remember my little grandma. Priceless memories. Now how am I going to display my aprons?

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9361 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9361 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  7:19:07 PM  Show Profile
Sarita,
How nice that you have those things to bring the memories back to you. Beautiful aprons and lovely handwork. They will be things to cherish!

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  8:12:23 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, the aprons are so pretty! How special it must be to have those! I wish I had some from my grandma because I remember that she always had one on! I am so happy for you and good luck displaying them! I am off to dye yarn now, wish me well!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  07:00:49 AM  Show Profile
Apron s and memories, they go so well together....If only I would have had foresight when my mothers were thrown away, becasue "they were worn out"... :(
Oh well, time to make new ones.....

Farmgirls are Farmgirls no matter where or how we live.....
frocksfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  07:22:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh Sarita, what a nice blog entry about your g'ma, and what beautiful aprons and memories! I have memories of my g'ma and her aprons too, but nothing tangible. I do believe that I'm just about the first female in my family to have a senitmental bone in her body! My g'ma and mom just threw everything out or gave it away when it was a little worn, or they got something new. No thoughts about passing then down - "who'd want that trash" is what my mom said when I asked her about it.

My MIL just gave me my DH's g'ma's treadle sewing machine. When I showed my Dad, he said that his mom used to have her mom's treadle in the TV room, but she just threw it out when she got an electric machine. HOW SAD!!

Me, I'm at the other end of the spectrum--packrat to the N'th degree! I keep every paper and scrap and old "whatever" just in case my kids or nieces & nephews or potential grandkids may want it someday. Anyway, it's wonderful that you have those aprons to keep your g'ma's memory close!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  08:27:38 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Kathy that they threw out some memories. Isn't it funny how we all look at things so differently? I was thrilled to get these aprons, my mother thought I had lost it. This is no lie, when mom told me she had these aprons and asked if I wanted them...I almost cried but when she put them in my hands and I saw the material, memories of grandma just over took me. The only thing missing is the smell of grandma's kitchen. It had its own fragrance, a mix of her Ivory dish soap, fresh bread, a pot of beans, the smell of cured ham and bacon and the wonderful coffee that she perked on the back burner of her stove. I think I had a strong attachment to grandma because I was born at home...weighed over 11 lbs....then my mother was very sick and didn't have any milk so grandma fed me sweet warm Lipton tea....grandma laughed many times about my beginnings....still don't like milk...still love sweet hot tea or sweeten ice tea!

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  11:16:50 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you have some of your grandmas aprons, my mom just brought me an apron back from her trip to NY, it was her grandmothers, my great grandmothers, I am thrilled to have it an think I will frame it to hang in my kitchen, she hand made them all. Its awsome to have a piece of history, just imagine what grandma did while wearing the apron, all the gardening, cleaning, baking etc...

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  11:49:40 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, how are you going to frame it? In a shadow box or under glass? I am racking my mind how to display grandma's aprons?

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Grandma's aprons, Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page