Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Trying to do better today...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Trying to do better today... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  07:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I have been really working on going organic, using less toxic cleaners, just being more environmentally, pocket friendly while be very conscious of everything I do, from recycyling, buying less, what I do buy, buy in less packaging, no more ordering offline, buying local, buying animal/planet/packaging/people friendly products and again, buying less, using my reusuable bags. I have been using up alot of the things in the house, like soap, dishwashing liquid, clothing etc, and today, I am finally close to my BIG shopping trip for the year, I have my list that I have been making for weeks. I sat down this morning and realized I could do better, a LOT better.

I crossed off about 7 things already, I made notes by certain items likes diapers and wipes (Buy bulk, buy organic if possible) and I also am trying to stick within a budget. It seems like a lot to keep thinking about while shopping, but I am going to try.

I have hit a snage though because Walmart is A LOT cheaper than the Texas owned grocery chain here in town and I can get EVERYTHING at Wally World. What I would spend in gas to go across town is not worth it, so I have to compromise somewhere. It is frustrating because we don't have a lot of choices.

My goals right now are to shop for food every 2 weeks, so stocking up on milk, bread, cheese, lunch meats, vegetables and some fruits. Fruits are the hardest because they just don't last that long.

My second list is wants, things like a Cowboy hat, cloth bags for produce, board games, toys for Charlie, things for Scott...all going into a Christmas list. Instead of just buying, I am really working on saving this stuff as gifts. I have a set budget for each of us and I am comparing that against my lists. I think we may be able to get away with Christmas costing us less than $300 this year, which is huge for us.

So, today I am trying to be a lot more greener and wiser, be more conscious, park a little farther away (exercise), go a little slower (enjoy the walk/ride) and just be.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  08:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Heather,
Thanks, such a great reminder for all of us... I keep telling myself, "do what you can", and change the rest as you can"....Baby~steps are OK, as long as they are headed in the right direction, Right?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  08:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Most definitely about the baby steps - everything starts from one small decision or action!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  08:12:19 AM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Heather, I agree with Rene'. Besides guilt and frustration will just add to your stress and make you sick eventually, so "do what you can" and be kind to yourself. I have had to come to terms with it myself, and do as the budget allows, just pick your most important things first and choose the best you can for what's left on the shopping list...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  08:51:20 AM  Show Profile
It was good for me to read this thread, I too was feeling guilty about not being able to do it all at once! Once again, Thank you girls!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:15:42 AM  Show Profile
Well, even though I only shampoo with baking soda, only wash every thing with baking soda or vinegar. I don't use airfresheners (baking soda and vinegar again will kill odors). I only use cloth diapers. I only buy things I need. I try to buy locally as much as possible, or at least things that people have made or grown themselves even if I do buy online-I find I HAVE To buy cloth diapers online, don't have a choice it seems.

I do still go to walmart. No matter how good it would be for the comunitee for me not to, it is not good for my family. We wouldn't be able to keep our heads above water here in NYC with out it (price wise). Things are literally only 1/4 of the price there that they are at our regular stores. And we barely can continue to live on our income as it is. Not to mention many local grocers here are filthy, and I refuse, flat out refuse to eat after rats-before walmart came, our grocery stores often had rats, and they eat on the bread, and other perishables in the store, and it was always so gross to me. To have to buy bread tha thas rat bites out of it. Let alone pay 4 times the price for the priveledge of eating after a rat.

So for me, it's do the best you can, where you are. And when you can do better, do better.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:30:15 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I just got back from Wally world. It was CRAZY because I didn't realize how many evacuees were still here. OH BOY!! I set a budget of $100 for what I had on my list. My secret goal was $75. I spent $77. SO that $23 will go automatically into savings. We have a separate account for Charlie which draws higher interest, so we stick it in there. YEAH!!! Other than fruit, I should be able to make it 2 weeks with food. I only bought hair color, hair spray (IT's a Texas thing) and pull ups for Charlie on ther personal stuff list. I almost broke down and bough the most lucious looking lip gloss but decided I had still had my tinted Burt's Bees left. YEAH!!! Most of the stuff today was some fixings for what I already have at home and supplies- butter, canola oil, salt, mozarella cheese (can freeze half), stock up bacon (3 large packages = 6 meals) and spaghetti sauce (use to make my own but with peppers being 88 cents piece, cheaper to by the jar stuff.) I also am trying that eco Palmolive dish washing soap. It is actually pretty cheap and they had lavendar scent. We shall see. I also bought the cereal bars Charlie likes in a super big pack. Not perfect but doing better. And for the first time in a long time, I wrote down prices as I went.

And yes, I do take the plastic bags because picking up poop, it has to go somewhere and I can't just throw it in the community dumpster and the occasional Charlie poopy pants needs to be wrapped up.

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:53:43 AM  Show Profile
Once a year, I go through the shopping and take this-
http://www.organizedhome.com/printable-price-book-0

I use a clip board, that I have a rubberband on with a pen, and write every thing down and then I can price compare.

I also always have a list. I like their shopping list on that site too.

I print it out on paper, BUT, I only use "scratch" paper to print it on.

After I'm done with all paper, where I have used it to the best of my ability I let my daughter color on the paper, as she don't care what's already wrote or what ever on it. lol She's only 2. lol

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  09:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Oh Thanks Heather!! I Like things like this...ooooooohhhhh!! : )

Heather

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  10:16:56 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, I also like their shopping lists to print up and menu planners! :)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  10:22:25 AM  Show Profile
I haven't printed them in a while, so I had to go back and find the exact pages I use, I use these-
http://www.organizedhome.com/image/tid/93
and BOTH these recipe pages for my menu planning-
http://www.organizedhome.com/printable-forms-menu-meal-planning

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  12:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Every little bit helps, Heather! You are making good choices to be more conscious!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  2:48:00 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I really like the organized home site, great printables for organization! Thanks!

Barb
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  3:02:53 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Barb. I've been using those printables for about 5 years now, and love them!

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Trying to do better today... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page