SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  6:26:00 PM  Show Profile
I found some more of the Little House on the Prarie books that I didnt have at a yard sale. I still love to read these and watch the shows "over & over". Will always be one of my favorites!

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  7:34:22 PM  Show Profile
Me too Susie - I re-read them every year in the winter. When you read about the hardship of The Long Winter it puts things into perspective, and I never fail to re-examine my values and work ethic after reading them either. I also have a book of articles that Laura Ingalls wrote for a paper in Missouri - really interesting stuff.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  7:44:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You too? I LOVE re-reading those books! It always inspires me to want to do more things for myself! When I think of the beautiful hand stitching they did and all the wonderful things they did to survive! Wow!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rhondacate
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Rhonda
Janesville CA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  2:36:12 PM  Show Profile
A couple of years ago, I found a boxed set of these at a thrift store for a couple of dollars. Great find!

I love them, and they make me wish I had learned how to do more things as a kid.

~Rhonda
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  3:59:06 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to dig out my childhood copies and reread them. Has anyone read the ones written by her daughter? Or I think there are some about her mom? Are they as good?

whiteraven

farmgirl Sister #320

Life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  4:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I love these books too! My favorite one is Farmer Boy, which is the story of Laura's husband, Alonzo's, childhood.
Warmly,

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  5:53:08 PM  Show Profile
I love those books! I even have the other ones that have Laura's mother and grandmother in a series of books. At the moment they are packed away for my grandkids, I use to have them set out as decoration. I am an avid book collector.

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  05:39:28 AM  Show Profile
I so love her books too! Does anyone have the "I Remember Laura" book? On the cover it says, "I Remember Laura...America's favorite storyteller as remembered by her family, friends and neighbors. It is such a great book. It touches on her life from her childhood, to when she wrote the books, to when she passes away. The book also has recipe's, photo's and other tidbits that are so wonderful. If anyone is interested in her life, other than reading her books, I highly recommmed it.

Farmgirl #170

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  06:10:33 AM  Show Profile
I love them too. They are a good way to learn more about that aera.
I will read them again this winter lol.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG.
I have added "new" creations, take a look :)
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  07:31:09 AM  Show Profile
I just re-read Farmer Boy yesterday. I love the descriptions in that book, especially the food! He makes all that food sound soo delicious. Even when he's just talking about bread and butter, it's described in such a way that makes one hungry all over. Laura's childhood is really about pioneering and homesteading, whereas Almanzo's is real farm life. The amount of work that they had to do! Makes me glad I don't have to hoe three acres of corn, or put up three pigs and one 'beef' in a day!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  07:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I love the story in Farmer Boy about when it was a Sunday and you know in those days you did nothing on Sunday and they got caught sledding by their father. I jus ROFL when I read that part and I must have read that book a half a dozen times.
I took one of the parts of the book and typed it up and framed it and it hangs in my kitchen. To me it is the very spirit of what makes our country great. This is it:

"A Farmer depends on himself, and the land and the weather. If you're a farmer, you raise what you eat, you raise what you wear, and keep warm with wood out of your own timber. You work hard, but you work as you please, and no man can tell you, to go or come. You'll be free and independent, son, on a farm." A quote from Almonzo Wilder's fater around the mid-1890's, taken from Laura Ingalls-Wilder's book, FARMER BOY
This is true if you stay away from big banks, Monsanto, and chemical/fertilizer companies,lol
Warmly,

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  5:01:40 PM  Show Profile
I am reading the books to my kids at bedtime. We are about half-way through Farmer Boy right now.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Little House books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page