True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  6:34:10 PM  Show Profile
Does anybody miss me yet? Huh? do ya?
You girls are utterly amazing. I feel like I've contributed nothing to this thread/chapter. omigosh, the farm market, and going out of town.... and then I am on this forum night and day anymore... I want so badly to meet you all and share smiles and hugs and seed. I just cant say enough adjectives about how strongly I feel about all of you. All of you came into my life at the perfect time. You are so precious to me.
Lillian, congratulations. I am so proud to call you sister!
Okay, so once we get familiarized with heirloom seed and why its important, I think we should make up a brochure of some sorts to maybe hand out when we are at farmers markets or maybe smaller grocers. I'd be happy to compile the brochure for us, or even get it printed off.
Tina, I will open a checking account in the name of the MAvens and we can link paypal to it, with the helping hand of Alee.... of course.
Have a good night! I've been visiting all night and relatives have fed me so much I am about to burst. I will check in tomorrow!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  6:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn who??? Just kidding! So glad you're havin' a good time. You deserve it.

FYI: I posted an invitation to the Mavens henhouse in the Farm Kitchen forum under Alee's Frankenfoods thread. If you haven't read it yet, check it out. It's a good-ern (as my papa used to say).

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  6:48:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm in. I just educated my hubby about MONSANTO. He didn't know anything about them. I am still waiting on my sisterhood approval. I signed up over the weekend - how long does it take? I am so ready for this. Wouldn't it be cool to march on Washington in aprons, floppy hats and garden trowels?

Thanks,
Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Too cool for words! So glad to have you here! Farmgirl Power...Unite! (Does anyone from the 80's remember the Wonder Twins?) Karen I'm having cartoon flashbacks again!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Lora, I'll grab my hat and join you shortly
Dawn, I really can't wait to meet you either.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Off topic... you ever wonder what someone looks like from their posts? I had Alee pegged soooo different before I read her blog thingie!

Lora, I'm on board too!

Karen: so nice that I'm easily forgotten....brat!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:27:18 PM  Show Profile
I'm in. I am just waiting on my Sisterhood approval. How long does that take, anyway? Let's do something!!!!!

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:37:08 PM  Show Profile
I am new to gardening and this was my first year with a garden. I would love to grow heirloom. Our garden this year was year was organic but we had some trouble with pests. I still have alot to learn. I will be looking into the book on saving seeds and would love to participate.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  9:24:35 PM  Show Profile
http://gene-watch.org/programs/safeseed.html
http://www.geocities.com/nowhitelist/whatis.html
Some more info, some of it dated, but interesting and worth reading, some what scary when you think about it all.

And lots of beautiful old fashioned plants to dream about and make wish lists of
http://www.fragrantpathseeds.com/

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  9:54:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm not the Maven queen, but I wanted to welcome all of my fellow sister Mavens and invite you to send me links and book recommendations for our information section of our soon-to-be site. I'm taking care of links and books so toss them to me! This is such a powerful group to belong to, I'm in awe of Maven Queen Dawn for taking us all on and will do everything in my power to help out in getting us the knowledge that we all need to be seed saving heirloom Mavens.

Teresa Sue ~ I think we can all embroider our own patches we don't have to worry too much about that. I hope to gain an embroidery badge out of this one!

Ruth, we'll all be learning together for the most part

I just got a catalogue from these people and there are too many flowers to want to plant WOW! no photos but not bad prices per packet.
http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

I think that we need bumperstickers, pamphlets, etc. to hand out at farmers markets and next summer at farm fair! I'm on a roll tonight with too many ideas bouncing around in my head. Dawn, you mentioned making brochures...

Gosh, I feel all dressed up and no where to go tonight, so to speak.

I think that while our main game is to preserve endangered and heirloom food plants, I personally want to also save native wild plants, and heirloom flowers, as well as trees. My dream of a nursery is getting less and less far-fetched as I work with all of you.

I think that whoever suggested that we put our goals and reasons for joining the chapter in our bios was on to something. Easily looked up and likely inspiring to read why so many sisters are drawn together for this cause. I am just nattering now. I'm all excited about the chapter and don't really have much more to add tonight.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:24:56 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Lora and Ruth, I'm so excited to see you both here! And Lora, welcome to the sisterhood! I'm looking so forward to learning from the two of you. And I have a special trowel to bring when we take off on our march. I was so worked up about Monsanto last night if I'd thought about marching on Washington I probably would've taken off right then.

And I just got the "if it ain't red..." line! Now all we need is an Allis-Chalmers farmgirl and I think we've got the big bases covered!

Ruth, there are several of us that are just getting into gardening. I had my first garden this year - a little herb and flower garden. My husband had a little vegetable garden last year and a little bit bigger one this year. Next year we're shooting for mine to be at least twice as big and the vegetable garden at least 4 times bigger. I'd love for it to be 10 times bigger but I dream big.

Annika, you just keep on rollin', girl! I had so many thoughts in my head last night that I almost got out of bed to post. I really couldn't have typed too much though as I burned my fingers flipping the pot for our bakeover last night. I usually wear two oven mitts but I've been doing pretty good flipping the pot with one hand. I'm using a 10" skillet we have so it's bigger than MaryJane's but it does a fine job. Until last night when I reached for it with my bare hand intending to support the mitted one but there was a bare spot and my fingers found it. It took three ice packs and lots of Young Living lavender oil (DO NOT put anything less than 100% THERAPEUTIC GRADE essential oil on a burn - the oils on the health food store shelf are not the same) but when I woke up this morning the pain was GONE! Just a little sensitivity where at the bend on my middle finger. Now even that's hardly noticable. Young Living oils are my first aid kit. They are to drugs what heirloom is to genetic-engineering!

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:40:50 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Lora (again), great job on educating your husband about Monsanto. That's how we're going to make a difference - one person teaches another who teaches another and on and on and on.

I think it was the Frankenfoods post that mentioned how Monsanto almost had approval by the FDA until the issue was brought to the people. That's how the big M has gotten most of their agenda accomplished - keeping the information away from the people because they know if we find out about what they're proposing, we won't buy it, literally and figuratively. Like the Monsanto spokeswoman who said, "We don't inject rBGH into the milk, we inject it into the cow. It doesn't effect the milk." That's like saying, "I'm pregnant but I can have a drink now and then because it's going into my stomach, not into the baby." H-E-L-L-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....anybody home?

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I miss so much in such a short time!! I am saving it to my memory card and will read all later!! Will we have a specific badge for the henhouse or are we making our own? I was reading fast and not sure what I picked up on!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:44:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Wonderful Annika, I'll use my badge for the embroidery badge also. Like I said before as soon as our henhouse is up I'll start organizing the Badgebadger thread, cause we are going to rockem at the BBB. It would be a great way to bring attention to our chapter and what we are trying to do. It also promotes what Mary Jane is trying to do , so it's a win-win accomplishment.
You know, if everyone was interested we could start a thread in our henhouse akin to Oprah's Bookclub, only it would be the MJ's Heirloom Mavens bookclub. We could use the books Annika is gathering for the Mavens must have list. If we were diligent we could all aquire a lot of knowledge about heirlooms that way,plus bounce ideas off each other with discussions. Not only that, as we all read these books, each of us would probably find areas of heirloom seed saving that we really clicked with and each of us could then pursure to a greater degree that interest. That way our chapter would have members that would be very versed in all aspects of heirloom seed saving. We would know who to ask for whatever aspect of heirloom seed saving we had a question about. Not to mention it would be a fun way for all of us to connect and learn on this wonderful journey of Sisterhood.
Of course we missed you Dawn! I can't wait to meet you also. I hope all of us can meet someday. I can't tell y'all what an incredble pull I have toward y'all and the closeness I feel toward all of you. It's bewildering and facinating at the same time, LOL
I want to join Annika in welcoming any new members, it's what we're all about, Mavens. Bringing new farmgirls into the MJ's Heirloom Mavens fold.
I really should not try to cook when I'm on the computer at this thread because burning food is not a good smell for my kitchen. HAHAHA. Whew, gotta get out a bowl of vinegar and get rid of that smell!
Karen, GREAT Idea posting us in the Farm Kitchen Forum.
Well, I've got a work horse of work to do today, DD,DSIL,&DGD coming down today to help with firewood so I have guest beds to make up and food to cook and bake.
Oh, that idea about going to DC with our hats, aprons, and trowels, rock! Maybe while we're there we can dig up the White House lawn and plant a garden like that one website that was recommeded is advocating, lol.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Marcy Jo, yes I'm working on a MJ's Heirloom Maven badge. I'm working out the wrinkles, so to speak. Also I'm going to peruse the Sisterhood Badges and see which ones we can all get to support our journey in this most wonderful Chapter. When our new Henhouse is up and running there will be more on it.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:03:40 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I just got goosebumps readying your post, Teresa Sue! I feel like the world will know who we are by this time next year! There is a synergy (where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, like 1+1=3) with this group of women that is absolutely amazing.

And TS, GREAT idea about the Mavens book club. I so love studying something together. It creates.............SYNERGY!

My question for the day: what are you doing towards planning for your garden next year? I bought the latest edition of Mother Earth News today (hubby's new favorite magazine) and it has a article called "Gardening for Keeps: Wide corridors together with permanent beds and paths are your best options for anefficient and productive food garden." (Hopefully that made sense - I have a cat walking in front of my face) So I'm going to start planning the layout for our garden tonight. AND I'm going to go to Wal-Mart(s) this week to get cardboard to start lasagna layering after I figure out the layout.

Well, goin' out to look for walnuts. Later..........

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 22 2008 09:05:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
P.S. TS, I "think" I posted a list of applicable badges somewhere in this thread. It's on page 4 (Sept 12 06:53:02 AM). That might give you a head start.

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:16:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
You know what else that would be really cool? The whole cycle of life is one big circle of seasons, we could set up a Seasons section, things to do at different times of the year(I think this would really help our new gardeners), such as fall, prepare garden for spring and all that that entails, winter, purusing seed catalogs, planning gardens,etc, Spring preparing to plant, cold frames, etc, and of course Summer, taking care of garden, of course I just threw that out, it would be much more detailed for each season. Of course the aspects of seed saving would all be detailed according to season.
Does anyone out there feel that Autumn is really the beginning of the new year as opposed to Jan. 1st? I always feel so invigorated in the fall. I want to clean, plot& plan, decorate, and I just feel so full of life at this time of year.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  10:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Karen I will check out what you said about the badges, thanks, I can't wait to meet you ;)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Yea, me too! Fall is so much more about beginnings for me than January. In January it feels more like shutting down - the holiday season is over, the weather is C-O-L-D (in Missouri anyways), the sun is hiding most of the time,........ In the fall, the days are cool enough to spend a lot of time outdoors without having to change clothes three times a day (from sweating!), the school year is beginning (I think that feeling is psychological conditioning from our childhood), I love the colors of fall, it's time to start the special decorating for Halloween/Thanksgiving/Christmas.......

I like the idea of a seasons section. For some of us it's second nature and for others (like me) I have to really think through everything since we're just starting out (sort of).

Keep rockin' it out, girl! Can't wait to see what your next brainstorm is!!!

How will we all be able to stand to wait til the BBB to meet??? We need teleconferencing!

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 20 2008 11:17:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
And Dawn, we miss you, can't wait til you're back, doing our best without you, struggling on, love you, whatever, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blahblah, blah, blah, blah,...............(I am so gonna pay for being such a smart aleck!)

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Sep 20 2008 4:48:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:24:14 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Teresa Sue,
can you fix my wrinkles too :) LOL

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
ROFL. Man, wish I had those kind of POWERS!!! I wouldn't have to look like the turtles species mascot,LOL

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  12:44:43 PM  Show Profile
Heehee! turtle species mascot...
Fall is all about the beginning of the year to me too. I always have more zip when autumn arrives.
The world is getting ready for it's new cycle and I love the energy that autumn has, always have.
I just got several of my books from Amazon and can't wait to read them and yeah, we need to at least buy the basics of plant propagation, seed saving and heirlooms. I am constantly updating my book list. This is being a lot of fun.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  2:18:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey Karin are you coming to the BBB? If so I'll throw the same invite to you that I threw out to Dawn(page 12). ;)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page