graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  5:38:55 PM  Show Profile
My original idea on the seeds was that since none of us really needs a whole packet of lettuce seeds, let alone maybe oh, 4-8 that I wanted to try, maybe we could coordinate our seed buying. That is, if we are planning on trying something particular and will have extra seeds we could post and let everybody know what we have extra and share from there.
I think a few hundred posts later:) somebody suggested we go in on ordering together to save postage but I don't remember who, and I don't remember if we decided anything official (I also sincerely doubt if I could find that post again). It seems like we would end up spending enough in postage to each other that it wouldn't necessarily save us $.
So anyhow, I am planning on ordering the seeds that I want to try, then offering the extras to y'all. Then, next year when we are all seasoned seed savers (nice alliteration, no?) we can trade what we have saved.
Any other ideas?
Corinne - I love that you saved the kitty!! I talked to my folks, we are going to be in Paris from March 3 to March 8, leaving the 8th for Normandy. Have you found out when you are moving back yet?
Annika - the co-op lunch is still in the planning stages, Rene will have to let us know when she will be in town again, then Diana too.
I will chat more later, missed Tina's e-mail last night so didn't get in on the real live chat, anyhow DH is making dinner and he just informed me it is "T minus 5 minutes"
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  6:43:32 PM  Show Profile
I too think it would be less confusing for everyone just to go ahead and order what they want to grow..and then say in about a month or so have a seed swap with the extras.
where we list out our "haves" and then swap around that way.just a thought and probably less confusing and time consuming to whomever was going to have to try and keep track of everything seed list wise.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  6:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Oops I ordered my seed already, guess I didnt listen well enough. I have the problem sometimes.

Hey Dawn, so cool about Local Harvest, love that!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  7:00:42 PM  Show Profile
No Rene - I think that's a good idea. I was racking my brain trying to figure out how to coordinate everything and couldn't come up with a good idea plus Marcy Jo had volunteered to keep track of wish lists etc, so I thought since we are all just starting we could order what we want, then trade - like Tina just said - I'm really good at restating things endlessly:) And babbling evidently - just reread this and it doesn't really make sense
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jan 20 2009 7:06:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  8:30:25 PM  Show Profile
Amy I love your tag line..All this talk about ordering seeds... Gosh I haven't even bought or ordered any yet.. But Heck there is snow all over my garden spot yet.. I can't even stick a trowel in the soil.. I will go back to making lists of what i am going to order...when its time.. :)

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  8:39:43 PM  Show Profile
Good night Mavens, it is morning here in Kuwait and today is Sue's birthday.
Happy happy happy birthday dear Sue, hope this year brings a lot of joys small and large and that the Mavens friendship we all share will bloom bigger having you with us.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  8:49:06 PM  Show Profile
can someone please let me know when we are scheduling the chat with Lynn.thanks

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2009 :  8:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Annika and Amy Grace, thanks for your kind words, yes this fur baby was lucky and my little heart is content.
Dawn, Cardinals are amazing, I am so glad you were there for this one, and you are so good to let the nature of life follows its course, a lot of thinking in your kind words.
What a neat idea to want to do something more that what you are doing at the moment, no point in being miserable at work. go girl I am sure you can do many things that would make you happier, and school might be one option.Amy Grace, I've put the Paris dates on my agenda.
I do not dare telling you that we have to exit the house on the 30 th of january and nothing has yet be done. I am packing my most precious items in bubble wrap, collected all the things, clothing included and pictures I wan to carry in the checked in luggage, have a suitcase designed to my quiting things and have handed over to a nice lady who doest the animal transfer paperwork our cats papers, so .... just have to wait and see.
We haven't found yet a home for Samba the outside cat we rescued 4 months ago and he is still living in Rana apartment upstairs and both she and I have started crying about the separation. she has been a wonderful friend for me and i will miss her terribly. I am so proud that she has built her house in Sri Lanka so when she leaves Kuwait at the end of this year to go back home, she sill have a place to stay. We will be in close contact for sure since she has a computer, but I will miss her all the same. She is going to grow vegetables and I will provide her with seeds adapted to the humidity and heat of her country and within 2 years she hopes to be able to sell the seeds she sill grow for an additional income.
Sweet dreams to all of you,m you are dear to my heart.
Karen, I've emailed Cristine about her info a couple of weeks ago and did it again a few minutes ago, haven't heard anything yet. Julie is on the list I've sent you, the last one since her birthday is december 26.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  06:11:26 AM  Show Profile
Corinne - I am thinking about you as you prepare for this huge transition in your life. I hope all goes smoothly
Dawn, silly, of course we miss you!! I had a "desk job" for a while, it was working for Kettle Foods, who makes the natural potato chips and it was a great company to work for. Very inclusive of all employees, environmentally and socially responsible, and I was very well compensatied BUT.... I am really not cut out for a desk job, got very bored sitting at a computer, so keep your options open and know that we are all rooting for you!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  06:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning/evening Mavens,

My thougts are with you Corinne as you do your preparations to move. It is hard, I know, I've done it many times. If it helps, I am sending you huuuugggggsssss!

Tina, I hope to firm up the chat plans today with Lynn Coulter, I will let you know as soon as I know.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  06:31:04 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Teresa Sue!!
What are your plans for the day?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  06:36:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
wellll, I guess I'll go find something else for breakfast cause I burned my oatmeal because I was on the computer, lol

I have to work on my quilt block, pick up the house, and hopefully I can work on our Maven badges today. Oh, I have to talk to Lynn Coulter about our chat. Nothing much, lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  06:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Are you as sick of this fog as I am?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  06:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Oh yes - I am tired of fog, it seems like all the weather patterns we have had over, say, the last 6 months have stayed on. We can't just get a monster snowstorm, we get 3 weeks of monster snowstorm, now 3 weeks of fog and inversion. Crazy
I am going to try to get the house in order - I should have it to myself most of the day with the guys at work/school, then they are going to an EWU basketball game tonight. For some reason I have a hard time starting any projects or even working on them when the house is a mess and I got derailed from my 30 minutes a day plan when we were carpooling so it has built up.
I have lots of projects I would like to do - might read the MJF lifebook for a bit, that usually provides some inspiration
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  07:12:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean, when DH is home it is so hard to stay on track with a project, cause he wants me to come look at something, go somewhere, help him, etc. I always have to cook a lunch, when I'm by myself I just throw some leftovers togeter, if I even eat lunch. Yes, I love my days alone. Hoping to gather some inspiration today also, you have a good day off!
This fog is aweful, I'd take snow any day. If I don't see sunshine soon, I might have to do something drastic!!!!lol
Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Jan 21 2009 07:13:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  07:20:35 AM  Show Profile
Amy Grace- It's the weather, I just can't seem to anything done either! Our fog finally went away but it is cold. Now they are saying it is supposed to be 35 for the high on Monday with rain! YUCK!

By the way Hello Everyone!

I too have bought my seeds already. I usually have enough to get me through 2 seasons, so I will have a few extra if we swap seeds.

Cheryl- The sooner you purchase your seeds the better. I have found through experience if you wait too long then you don't get what you want. Dh and I are thinking about a trip to the Southern Oregon area this summer to search for property. We had seriously been looking at Southern Arizona, but I kinda have a problen with 14 varieties of rattle snakes. Also I am alergic to bee stings and sure enough I would be the one to stumble upon Killer bees.

Dawn- You will know when the time is right for a change in your life-it will just happen! I am not made to live in the corporate world either. I spent 10 years waitressing (I am a darn good one too.) then 2 years working for a well known weight loss company. I really was not happy doing that job and DH asked me to quit my job and stay home. It was a hard decision but I made the choice to quit and never looked back. I have never been happier!!! When the time is right it WILL happen!!!

Well girls I am off to start my day. Hope to check back later.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  07:53:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping to pay off my debt (only 3 grand) by then middle of next year, and then just work part time to take care of child support. Once that is done, I'm just gonna do something to take care of the cost of feed and call it quits. I've been working full time since I was 13 years old. Yes your heard me right. Retirement at 40 is not impossible.... I've already decided I want to write or photgraph things. I've already written a short dessert cookbook, so we'll see.

I too am sick of this weather. Its been bitter cold here in Ohio and they are calling for more snow later this week. I have zero ambition and zero personaltity. Ask my hubby.... haha.

I think I am going to coordinate seed purchases with Lora since she is closest to me and coming to OHio in March to pick up chicks. I'm sure we will share what's leftover. I did post a little of what I need in the henhouse.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUE! I am a dork. I still have your card in my mailing pile... heee heee... I really, really need to get to the PO.

Gotta run. C-ya!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  07:59:40 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Sue!!
Dawn, I don't think you could ever be accused of lack of personality!!
Yep, the weather is definitely a drain on my spirits but I am optimistic I will get some things done around here - the problem is our house is not well set up so I have all these rooms that don't really have one specific purpose, just a collection of random stuff and furniture so everything just gets dumped. The laundry room/pantry is my nemesis at the moment. I really want to go to the dump but we don't have a working truck - we do have a truck but it is mostly a driveway decoration (don't ask, kind of a sore spot)
I have to go through the seeds I bought but never got to plant last year before I order, they are all Botanical Interests and I am sure I will have some left over.
Hope to chat with you all soon
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:11:43 AM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Sue! May it be a good one with lots of love and happiness abounding.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning, another "grey" day in the valley..I am about ready to stick myself under some grow lights :)

Tina,
I passed on Lynn's info for the chat to TS.. and she has that all under control. Hopefully you have noticed that I sent her to your email gardengoose as well.

I also visited with Emilee Gettle of Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Company and invited her to "jump in" on the Maven conversation. I suspect she will.

Blessed Day everyone.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:31:32 AM  Show Profile
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SUE!

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:31:53 AM  Show Profile
Ohh! Rene, you are such a gem! Thank you for inviting them to visit us, how sweet that would be.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:32:39 AM  Show Profile
Rene-That is so COOL! Emilee Gettle!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  08:42:46 AM  Show Profile
HAppy Birthday Sue...
Lillian. Southern Arizona is HOT all the time.. There are scorpions also & snakes..and not to discourage you more but... You will have a real problem growing veggies too.or any thing GREEN.. and the water tastes yukky..
It was 126 degrees (yes that is hot) the day we moved into Fort Mohave 5 years ago.. We decided to move to K falls because there is not so much rain here and we get 300 days of sunshine..mild springs and falls & not as hot summers. I could not do Wet rainy days , I need the sunshine & four seasons. Today the sun is shining and althoughh it is cold. 28 degrees right now. We love it here. Today Dh & I are going to go out to the bird refuge & over to KLamath Lake for a day outting. Have a good day everyone.. I"ll check in later...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2009 :  10:33:21 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Happy Birthday Sue!!!!

Its ok if we all just share our leftover seeds!!! We could have our seed bank and then swap from there! Whatcha think? IT just may be easier that way to have a seed bank.

I too, have just no ambition when it gets real cold. But once I get started on something I want it finished.

I stopped by work today to put in my application (they terminate you after 60days of layoff) and they still dont have everyone back to work from the holidays. They said maybe by feb 2 but they arent taking any apps until then!! I guess that gives me more time to work on projects.

Hey I started a blog!!! Maybe you can check it out!! I am very new to that so it will be trial and error. If anyone has any suggestions please tell me!!!

And theres more news!! We found out over the weekend that my DH has a son!! He is 11 and I am hoping to meet him someday. Although it is a bit strange DH has to be relieved but wont talk much about it. Plus the mom waited all this time to say anything. I know it is a good thing but sometimes I feel like so many outside sources are testing my marriage --kinda like Job and I really am tired of it.

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page