Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 making felted insoles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic making felted insoles Next Topic  

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  09:03:06 AM  Show Profile
Anyone ever make felted insoles? Just wondering if it would be done with needle felting or wet felting.

Thanks Michele

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  1:31:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele

Both techniques work well - just depends on what you are more at easy with. I personally like to wet felt a sheet then cut the insole. Le dry and then go back in and needlefelt the edges and if you wish to plump up any areas. You can also needlefelt if the insoles get worn. Have fun.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  4:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michele,
I like to wet felt a thick sheet of wool felt, then draw around each foot and cut out to go inside the boot. I like my insoles to be cushy and as I wear them, they get thinner, then I needle felt to thinner areas. So warm in the winter. Great if your feet sweat.
Sarita Coffman
The Spinning C

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  5:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Michele

I almost forgot something - last year I look a very heavy sweater I found at the thrift store, thru it in the washer and felted it and then I cut out inserts for my wet willies and they were wonderful. Bouncy, thick and just the trick. The machine and scissors did all the work - I just took the credit.

Keep those toes warm and dry

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  8:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks for the ideas! i hadnt even thought of making my own insoles!! we use them in everythign in the witner. i even put them in my mukluks. i will keep a look out at the "transfer mall" for a suitable wool sweater to wash and try graces idea. thanks again!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  04:17:33 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Grace and Sarita for the ideas. I did google it at work yesterday, and found the same ideas you had. I like to ask people who have actually done this, to see what works best. I have never wet felted before, so I think that is the method I will try.
I have been using a drum carder. Would wet felting the wool off of there work? I read you are supposed to do several layers, in different directions. Making sure there are no lumps and bumps. They said to take soapy hot water, and just press with your hands until it holds together. Then rub it on a washboard, or use bubble wrap to finish it. I also like the idea of needles felting the edges, and worn spots. So cool! Thanks for the ideas

Happy felting'
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  04:42:27 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I use my drum carder all the time preparing the wool. With insoles it is extremely important to use clean wool, the tiniest little seed that you don't get out can cause discomfort when you wear them. When wet felting, I use bubble wrap and old bamboo shades or table mats. After patting the layers of wool with hot soap and water and it is holding together,I lay out the bamboo flat and then I lay out the bubble wrap flat on top of that and then the wool that has been patted and is holding together. Then I start at one end and roll all three layers, secure with nice heavy rubber bands when it is all rolled up. I roll this back and forth putting on my weight, sometimes I even put it on the garage floor and rolling it with my feet. I unroll it off and on to check the process, add more soap and water, if I have thin spots develop, I pat on more wool to make it an even sheet of felt. I continue working with it until I get the felt to the right thickness. Did you know that in the ages past that people would pick up wool that was hanging in the bushes from the sheep flocks that roamed the area and put the pieces of wool in the shoe to make their sandals and shoes feel better and the friction of walking and the sweat and moisture from their feet over time would make felted insoles? (Sorry...an unsolicted history lesson)! After felting insoles, you may want to try boots...Spin Off Magazine has a couple of back issues on felting boots.

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  12:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info and the history lesson!
About how long would you guess that the felting takes? Or how long do you roll it around? Do you just pour some soapy water on the felt, and go back to rolling?
Sorry about all the questions. :)
I do have 2 spin off mags, but not the ones with felting boots. That sounds interesting.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  6:04:32 PM  Show Profile
Michele, how long depends on the type of wool and I don't flood the wool...just keep adding hot water to make the wool wet. I use a shampoo or liquid soap from the bottle and work up a good lather. I rinse in cold water but felt in as hot a water as I can stand to work with. I just keep working it then checking on it...you will know what works for you once you felt a couple of things. Just go for it and have fun.

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  06:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Michele, please let us know how the insoles work & feel when you are done! I hope they keep your feet warm this winter.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4190 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4190 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  10:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Well I plan on giving this a try this fall. Will see what happens.
I usually suffer from cold feet, so I hope it makes a difference!

MIchele
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic making felted insoles Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page