Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  08:48:49 AM  Show Profile
he's 14 and is having trouble sleeping at nite which in turn makes him want to sleep all day so school work is getting behind. Does anyone know of a natural remedy that is a sleep aide? Thanks Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  09:00:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can buy Melatonin supplement. Melatonin is the natural sleep chemical that our brains produce when the light dims. It helps to put you to sleep and into REM sleep. Doug and I have used it in the past. It is great because it doesn't give you that "morning after" feeling and it is not habit forming. We usually use it for 1 to 2 weeks until our sleep patterns are were they need to be.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:40:18 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Alee, also sleepy time tea by celestial seasonings.

A good routine.

No TV, pc or video games in the evening. (it keeps the brain running). Turn out all lights. Can his room be very dark at night? Light keeps people awake (brain chemistry). They say even the light from a clock can be enough to disturb this chemistry!

Working on this in the summer would of probably helped more. (I know too late now).

But, work on a very scheduled routine, of getting up the same time every day, having shower same time, meals the same time, and lights out the same time.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:41:19 AM  Show Profile
oh a therapist told my mom that warm ovalteen was good for my nephew to get him to go to sleep too. And it helped!

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
And make sure he isnt drinking caffine or eating sugar in the evenings.. he may be one of those that just has a hard time shutting his mind off at night too.. I do that... I am learning deep breathing excersises and they help a great deal...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

"Despite the gardener's best intentions, Nature will improvise. ~Michael P. Garafalo
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  11:33:15 PM  Show Profile
I use Melatonin and sleep very well.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  06:35:24 AM  Show Profile
I agree Rene.

There is some CDs you can buy that help for sleep. I think they work great. (get you into shutting your mind off for sleep). I don't care for the sublimigal (sp) message ones. They never have worked for me any way. But, the kind where it tells you what to do and think out loud, those helped. Like say, it will be a soft woman's voice and tells you to imagine you are in a garden, now imagine a deer comes along, etc. Slowly your mind goes into the fantasy of what ever they are talking about in the garden, and next thing you know you're out!

Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  10:28:25 AM  Show Profile
Try a lavender dream pillow or a few drops of lavender oil on a tissue in his pillow case. Good Luck.

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  07:43:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all for the great advice. I really appreciate it and will try the suggestions until I find one that works. We dont drink much caffine, I buy decaf tea. and he has a sheet over his blinds for darkness. So we will go from here. Thanks again! Karen

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Son can't sleep Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page