Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 pricing hand spun yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic pricing hand spun yarn? Next Topic
Page: of 2

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  6:15:17 PM  Show Profile
How do you all price hand spun yarn? I would like to sell some of mine, but how do I go about pricing it? I have seen some that is very nice merino for what seems like a good price and then I have seen some that to me looks like the most outrageous mess of yarn for a LOT of money! So how do you all price handspun yarn?

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  6:57:39 PM  Show Profile
I'd see what comparable is selling for on Ebay and Etsy and go from there.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
Smoky Mountains Tennessee
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  7:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Hey Monica,

As for the outrageous mess of yarn pricing..it usually has silks, angelina fibers, tencel, bamboo and lots of other additions that drive up the price and turn it into a novelty yarn and it's also attractive to the needlefelters as well as the knitters and crocheters.

As for the straight forward smooth wools and the novelties I would think you'd be looking at how much your fiber cost was to begin with then build in a labor fee for your time. You can look at other's products and see the yardage yeild, the type of fiber and price and figure what they are charging per yard. Hope that made sense. :0) Just simply divide the price by the number of yards to get your cost per yard.

Good luck to ya!

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.blogspot.com Vintage & Modern Fabric, Fiber & Yarn Blog
www.dreamkingdomdesigns.com ~~~~~Go Shopping at my Website Catalog!!
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  8:28:00 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie and Bonne, Thanks for the input!

Stephanie, I understand what you mean about figuring price per yard! I hope what I said about the outrageous mess of yarn doesn't sound rude and I mean no offense to anyone it's just not my cup of tea. I guess deep down inside I'm a neat freak although you would never know it if you saw my house!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  9:51:56 PM  Show Profile
quite alright Monica :o)...no offense taken. Unfortunately, my love affair with yarns and wool go from one extreme to the other! omg, what's a girl to do when she sees "something" in all of it...LOL On one end of the spectrum I'm in love with fingering weight superwash wools (merino's mostly)... but any fine fiber in that weight will get my attention...so if you get into spinning that weight please look me up!!

Stephanie
www.queenofdreamsz.blogspot.com ~~~Crochet, Sewing, Life Collections & Recollections Blog
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  07:01:09 AM  Show Profile
Monica
The calucaltion is correct, material, time, wage and then retail and wholesale considerations. Also, there is the issue of skill level and techniques. The single yarn is not a hard technique so each time the yarn is passed thru the orfice or added a structure to the yarn requires to be counted in the price. Even if we might not like the technique that skill level exceeds the single spun yarn. When also considering price - if you have dyed, blended or even raised the fiber that is considered into the price. Last but not least a spinners reputation and standing will also add in the price. Hope that helps...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  08:31:04 AM  Show Profile
Stephanie, As soon as I figure out what fingering weight superwash yarn is I will probably spin some!!! I love to spin very fine yarn and right now I am spinning silk thread! I will say be careful of what you google! Luckily the filtering on my computer blocked the Adult sites from popping up, which is good because I don't think I would have been prepared for that this early in the morning!

Grace, where can I find out all the technical stuff like what worsted means and the staple length! Oh I wish I lived closer to you! I would come to one of your classes!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  09:14:19 AM  Show Profile
Hey Monica,

Here's a link to some yarn explanations
http://www.sewingitall.com/knitting-yarn.html

I'm sure Grace will have info to for you..

Have a great day!

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Monica
The book you have from me does if I remember talk about that..
Here are two more books that I just love
Alden Amos The Big Book of Handspinning
Encyclopedia of Handspinning by Mabel Ross
and then to get you up to speed on the basic techniques of designer yarns is : Spinning Designer Yarns by Diane Varney

Hope that helps. Keep reading it is all out there - just be patient, this is not a skill you learn overnight. Remember some of us have been doing it a while and still learn each day. Enjoy the process......

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Grace, I am enjoying this so very much!! Spin It does cover staple length,but I am still trying to understand what worsted means and all of the other stuff! I really do appreciate the help and I will probably always have a million questions for you!!
Speaking of questions; Is there any trick to shearing Bam Bam with scissors!

Stephanie, thanks for the link! It has better explanations than I have found so far!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  10:24:12 AM  Show Profile
Monica, I'm just enjoying seeing what all you are getting into. LOL
Lookit there~you already have a customer for the fine yarn you intend to spin!
I'm looking to do bulkier lumpy and bumpy yarn. It usually is used to make things that are "fast" "quick" "easy". Those are my favorite words. I'll leave the detail-oriented projects up to you~that's what makes the world go 'round, ya know?
Do you remember the old 60's movie with Julie Christie, "Far from the Madding Crowd"? She has a sheep farm, and they have a sheep shearing contest in it and it's fascinating to see how fast a person can shear a sheep.

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:19:02 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, I love little detailed stuff! My husband always says that I don't have any big things, just a million little things! I will try to post a picture of the silk thread I am spinning now! I must say I think what I am getting into is "in over my head"! I hope that some day we could all meet up somewhere! I like the barbecue idea!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  12:29:44 PM  Show Profile
Here you go Monica~I found the jewelry for YOU!
http://www.mapasspindles.com/category.sc?categoryId=6

(they also have dirt cheap spindles and niddy noddys. Plus go to their
woodshop page and there's a link to video instructions http://www.maandpasspindles.com/Work.html )

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  1:49:29 PM  Show Profile
Monica, I've gotta see this silk thread you are spinning!

Stephanie
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  8:05:47 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, here is a picture of the thread and of my first 2-ply yarn!

Bonne, I love the jewelry! I made a niddy noddy out of pvc pipe for really cheap, but not as pretty as theirs!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Sep 12 2008 8:20:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  8:07:30 PM  Show Profile
Okay now can anyone tell me how to transfer smaller pictures from photobucket!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  11:56:00 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful Monica!! Bravo!!! ;)

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  12:36:40 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, thanks! Did you get your spindle yet? You will have so much fun! Are you going to get the wheel from Grace? I am scrambling trying to save up for mine!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  3:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Monica, here is another link for spinning. It has about worsted yarn and carding wool. Bonne, it also has something about drop spindles...

http://www.interweave.com/spin/spinoff_magazine/

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

The people who make a difference in your life are NOT the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones who care.
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  6:12:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Sarita! Great files from Interweave. I ordered a sample copy of Spinoff.

Monica, I got a drop spindle from Sarita today!!(AND some luscious fibers!)
Plus my Mother Marion kick-wheel arrived. Ck it out here: http://www.heavenlyhandspinning.com/e-commerce-solutions-catalog2.html

I haven't gotten a chance to try anything out today~too many other things going wrong at my house related to remodeling. Soon.

Go to Top of Page

queenofdreamsz4u
True Blue Farmgirl

3845 Posts

Stephanie Suzanne
USA
3845 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  7:52:00 PM  Show Profile
Ooooohhhhh Bonne...need to see pictures of all the fiber you've accumulated in the past week! and see the drop spindle..I know you'll get it all up on your blog soon..sorry you are still dealing with the remodel inconvenience!

Monica, where is the picture of the silk thread you've spun..there wasn't an email attachment so figured it's in some topic here??

Stephanie

Edited by - queenofdreamsz4u on Sep 13 2008 7:52:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  4:35:46 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie, the pictures are on the first page! I wish I could have made them smaller, but nothing I did on photobucket would make them copy smaller!

Bonne, I love the kick-wheel! I may have to look at getting one of those! The spinning wheel from Grace may have to be on hold for now unfortunately! I got pulled over on my way to church this morning for my windshield being cracked!! I just got a warning, but I have a week to get it fixed so there goes any money I would have had! It was the nicest cop though because for some reason I didn't have a current insurance card on me and he could have cited me 500.00 for that!! I think I am going to have a big sale on etsy!!!! I went to the spinning guild meeting yesterday and now I really want a wheel!!!

seriously, If anyone sees anything on etsy they like I will take 25% off!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  5:03:00 PM  Show Profile
There's always SOMETHING that wants to take a person's "crafting $$" away. grrrr...

"Will work for spinning supplies" lol

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  6:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, I love that web site! I am wondering whether or not this is payback for being a part of getting you stuck on spinning! I bought a pound of olive and burgundy blended merino yesterday for an order I have so I can't do any shopping for a while!

Stephanie, check out this website www.thesheepshedstudio.com. They have a lot of colors of superwash wool! I don't know if it's merino, but it is superwash! Let me know if you see something you like and later on when I have some $ to buy some I will get some and spin some fingering yarn! I like all of the colors so I figured I may as well start with a color you might be interested in! I love to spin really fine yarn!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  9:10:42 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
monica let me know how that kick wheel works! looks like it would actually fit into my crowded little cabin lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  9:33:41 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I haven't got one yet, but Bonne did get one! She has pictures on her blog of what she has done so far!

Bonne, you must not have any kids!!!! It has taken me a month to get done what you have! It looks good!!! Isn't it addictive? I am dying nylon roving right now with kool-aid so I will post pics if it comes out okay! Isn't this all so fun and I have to say I love your drop spindle out of a canning lid! That is too cool!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic pricing hand spun yarn? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page