Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 From which person have you...........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic From which person have you........... Next Topic  

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  11:38:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
~~learned most in your life and what are some of the things?

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  03:44:01 AM  Show Profile
I learned the most from my farmgirl mom and both farmgirl grandmothers -- cooking, gardening, canning, needlework, animal care, home care, you name it. But the most important thing my mom taught me was to be a good person. She always said, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" -- that's the lesson I have had the hardest time with!

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  03:48:46 AM  Show Profile
My mom and my brothers, my Opi and Omi (my grandparents from mom's side)
They taught me all I know.My Omi (grandmama) taught me always to be a lady, wether you were home alone or in company. Meaning not to belch, pass gas etc. etc :D I try to honor that.
My mom taught me how to cope alone.
My brothers taught me they loved me, unconditionally even though they were not around when I grew up.
My Opi (grandpapa) taught me to stand up for myself. I SO wish I had done that earlier in life :(

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG

Edited by - dutchy on Sep 05 2008 07:58:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  04:00:57 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
I would say my Maw Maw. Bless her heart. She is long gone now but I really miss all the neat things she used to do. Canning, quilting, baking cookies, and cooking. YUM! And the crocheting! She was awesome. She is my inspiration to keep all the above alive.

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  05:05:03 AM  Show Profile
Grandma taught me how to cook, bake, garden, crochet, sew, care for animals, canning, to be nice and about God. Mom taught me to be strong and have a sense of humor about everything. Uncle Roy taught me how to ride and care for horses. Uncle Butch taught me responsibility, the value of hard work and money. They all taught me to honor and respect my elders. They're all gone now, but I hope that I still make them proud in all I do.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  06:17:25 AM  Show Profile
I learned the love and respect of nature from my paternal grandparents and also my parents. They're responsible for my love of flowers, gardening, and critters. My mom taught me how to cook and sew, and I used to help grandma make jelly from the grapes she grew. My parents taught me about God, and my faith is strong to this day. My family is filled with practical jokers, so I've learned humor. My children and grandchildren have taught me unconditional love, as well as patience. My friends have taught me loyalty. And last but not least, all the farmgirls here have taught me too many wonderful things to mention! I am truly blessed!

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  06:48:56 AM  Show Profile
Hands down MY DADDY!!! He is the smartest man I have ever met in my life! By trade he is an engineer, and the best Dad ever! I talk to him everyday; even to just say hello. I wish he would take better care of himself though and be smart in that way!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

vintagetag
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Linda
Cheyenne WY
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile
I would have to say both my mom and dad. Mom taught and has been an example in taking care of home and family, baking, sewing, and being a giving person. Dad has taught me how to fish and camp, gardening and most all of the home repair skills I have learned.

Linda
Cheyenne, WY
USA
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  07:51:33 AM  Show Profile
my nannie and my daddy! (they were brother and sister) my nannie took my brother, sister and me in to lovingly raise when our own momma left. she taught us profound LOVE .. to care for one another .. and that our family extends well beyond the bounds of blood.

my daddy, though mentally ill all his life .. i swear .. was one of the most intuitive and kind souls god ever put on this earth. through his illness .. we saw and felt 'the love' my nannie preached.

i miss them both on this earth dearly. xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  08:10:24 AM  Show Profile
There is not just 'one' person but many that contributed to help me through this life. Of course my Mother and Father. My dad died when I was just a kid but he was the most kindest person EVER. My mother, bless her, at 94 has taught me about embracing life and that no matter what happens in life we must move on. and then I had a best friend that i met as a 17 yr old young bride that befriended me. She and her young family lived across the street from me and my husband in our first house. We have been friends ever since. She alread had her four kids and I learned a lot just observing her family. She always had a heart condition but we just did everything. and 3 summers ago we visited MJ's Farm and spent the night and had a blast and 13 days later she died of a heart attack. Her daughter told me the MaryJane trip was the highlight of her life and she was so proud to go. I miss that girl and I keep expecting her to come roaring in the driveway and say 'come on let's go somewhere!!'.Her name was Nita Mae and she was 'farmgirl' all the way. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  5:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
I would definately have to say my Dear Mother and Father!!...they were loved and adored by so many people .... both family and friends, because they were such sincerely caring and giving people! I feel blessed that they left me with such wonderful memories!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  11:29:27 AM  Show Profile
My Grandmother "Mam-Maw" taught me many things. She was my heart and is my guardian angel even thought she is not with me any longer. She taught me about God, Cooking, gardening, respect, love, giving to others who are in need. I could keep going on and on..... Several thing today that I am doing that she taught me; making biscuits and spoiling my grandson!! Today is grandparents day....Happy Grandparents Day my Mam-Maw!!!

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  3:11:37 PM  Show Profile
My DADDY! I had an older brother but seems he was always in the house. I was outside with Daddy. He did not teach me how to garden but the love of gardening. He did not teach me how to raise hogs, chickens or cattle. He tought me to make sure they had clean fresh water when it was hot. He was way ahead of all the positive thinkers of the world. He was the most positive person I have ever known. The main thing he tought me was not to worry. He said,"there is nothing important enough to worry about. Either you can do something about it or you can't. If you can do something, do it, if not don't worry about it." He was more of a Christian than anyone I know but rarely went to Church. He was a Christmas, Easter, Mother's day kind of guy.
The only musical instriment he knew how to play was the Saw. The only song he knew was The Old Rugged Cross. But he loved music. Especially Lawerence Welk and The Grand Old Opary. I am ME because of HIM. He is right up there with Jesus.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  4:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
My Nanna and Papa, for keeping it simple and full of love.

I never had any other family members because my family is so messed up but I do look to others as mentors.I tend to dwell on the celebrity type people but that is who I turned to when I was lonely, so here goes. Katharine Hepburn for owning her style and living life her way. My newest is Dara Torres- 41, rocking body, Mom and a 12 time Olympic champion yet acts like Mom to everyone- she rocks!! The women of the WAVES or any other woman who served so I could have the chance to do so myself. I like women trail blazer, Coco Channel, Amelia Earhart, Mary Jane...I relate A LOT to them!!! They are my heroins.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  4:55:36 PM  Show Profile
Interestingly enough, from my daughter. She has taught me so much about love, loyalty, love of God, and truth. As she grew up I watched her tell the truth when she knew she would suffer for it, and she did not even know I was aware. I never expected that a child could teach a parent so much. I feel that even though I raised her, along with her daddy, she kind of raised me up too.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic From which person have you........... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page