Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 what is your fav type of "HUMOR"?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic what is your fav type of "HUMOR"? Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  7:48:17 PM  Show Profile
i do NOT like 'slapstick' .. i do like woody allen type of humor. i like spontaneous humor that just rises up .. not planned .. but 'meets the situation' .. i do NOT like MEAN-SPIRITED humor or the kind that EVER EVER EVER makes fun of people who are in any way disadvantaged.

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  7:49:19 PM  Show Profile
oh! i do love GOOD HUMOR (you know the kind that has vanilla in the middle covered with a thin layer of chocolate!)

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  8:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I love me some dry sense humor...Tommy Lee Jones delivers every single time!!!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  8:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
love Good Humor too Frannie LOL!!! Is that a bell ringing down my street???
Ha!
Until Later,
Audrey

ps...besides ice cream sandwiches :)... hmmmm ..one would be Seinfeld!

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  11:11:37 PM  Show Profile
ohhh .. i love tommy lee jones' one-liners in his movies!!!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  11:30:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Don't know why I posted just Seinfeld....I meant his type of humor and I also like Larry David (sometimes)...ever watch his show Curb Your Enthusiasm? It was really good the first couple of seasons but not so the last. I still, most of the time, think he is an absolute hoot! Yikes..it is getting late...I think I am starting to ramble....sweet dreams everyone!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  03:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes when we are watching a TV sitcom, I look at my husband and wonder if he sent that story to the writers, or if there is a hidden camera in our house. There was an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond in which Ray didn't vote for Deb for an office in the PTA -- that really happened a few years earlier to us!
So, I guess I love that family humor -- Ray, Jeff Foxworthy, Jim Belushi kind of thing.

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  03:50:12 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, don't you think slapstick is boy humor? (OK, I know there are some girls who like it, as well!) I don't care for it either, but I do love when my boys (son and DH) are laughing like crazy at slapstick -- now, my grandsons love it too! They develop that love early, I think.

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  03:51:46 AM  Show Profile
I love humor! Not mean spirited or just plain ugly. But good natured.
I like to laugh WITH someone, not AT them, but with them.

I do NOT like slapstick either, SO dumb :)
I like to watch romantic comedies.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  04:59:28 AM  Show Profile
Right now, I'm in love with the humor that comes from my 8-year old.

The other day we were out shopping at Hobby Lobby. Came around the corner and saw (literally) hundreds of penguins...penguin table toppers, ornaments, cups...you name it. I hollered at my son to come and look, he comes around the corner and says, "Wow! It's penguintopia!"

Later on the way home, I'm complaining (and a little whining) about how bad my elbow hurts (tendonitis) and he asks, "Why does your elbow hurt so bad today?" I reply, "Because of all the lifting I've been doing and all the shopping." He says (without skipping a beat), "Well, I guess you better quit shop-lifting."

This kid is going to ace his verbal scores on the ACT!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  05:14:43 AM  Show Profile
I love a good sense of humor. I sort of like watching episodes of Seinfeld, although some can get a bit dodgey. I have to say that Christopher Walken can deliver a line or give a look that just cracks me up. I don't think I've ever seen Tommy Lee Jones in anything. I think I'm missing something! Like StarMeadow, my kids are the best source of humor in my house. They make me laugh all the time.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  06:44:06 AM  Show Profile
I kinda like silly, or 'bonehead' humor. I haven't seen these in many years, but I caught Laurel and Hardy while channel surfing, and laughed out loud! Also, I can appreciate the Three Stooges...I guess stupid, slapstick humor gets a laugh from me. Then there's Seinfeld...a few episodes were really good. The episode which Kramer takes on a horse cart driver's job and feeds it Beefo'roni, in which he had too many cans. The horse had a gas problem....and Kramer and the riders of the cart got a noseful! LOL... Ok....a cheap laugh, but works every time. Dry or wry humor is good too...if I'm sharp enough to catch it!

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  06:47:27 AM  Show Profile
Larry David's 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' is great, too! Also, some of Woody Allen's movies.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main

Edited by - junkjunkie on Sep 05 2008 06:54:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  07:29:18 AM  Show Profile
I like slapstick too. The one kind of humor I don't like is when it's really "painful" humor...like Funniest Home Videos when people do things and you know it results in an injury and I can't figure out why the audience is laughing.

The fun thing about old slapstick humor like the Three Stooges is that they never showed them getting hurt. A board would hit them in the head and they would just smack their face and move on...same with Laurel and Hardy and Abbott and Costello. Those are faves of mine too.

I don't understand Woody Allen humor and never have. Guess I'm a really simple girl. Frannie, you're a deep thinker...that sort of humor fits your personality very well.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9362 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9362 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  07:35:01 AM  Show Profile
I prefer clean humor. I like Jerry Lewis and just recently we watched Mr. Bean Takes a holiday. The scene where he lip syncs opera is hilarious. At least to my family's sense of humor anyway.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  07:54:22 AM  Show Profile
audrey i love watching seinfeld re-runs .. a fabulous show about 'nothing'!! never saw Larry David or the Curb your Enthusiasm show. HA! i always have a hard time doing that!

i also love the 'dry' wit in shows like Everybody Loves Raymond .. and King of Queens. I love some of the older silly sitcoms too!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  08:02:18 AM  Show Profile
Georgianne .. i think these shows are funny because we can all 'relate' to them! OH how often i will see me or my honey-man in a scene from lotsa' 'married couple' shows! And it makes me LAUGH!

marian .. i adore romantic comedies ... ben stiller in Meet the Fockers and Meet the Parents had me giggling all the way through!

T .. what precious stories! and i do believe you are absolutely right .. the funniest and dearest humor just pops out naturally from children .. they have SUCH an insight that we seem to outgrow sometimes.

Karen .. is Christopher Walken on a show? i'm not familiar with his name either. But sometimes, i'll not know a 'real' name .. but will know the TV name.

oh judy! i remember that episode. i swear each character on that show was so perfectly developed!
and i thought it was amazingly astute of Seinfeld to quit while ahead.

oh jami .. i remember LOVING the routines of abbot and costello many years ago. i heard their 'who's on first' routine on XM radio last week and it still made me laugh.

denise .. i also remember all the kids gathering around the newest TV on the block to watch Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin!

adopt a 'rag-chile'

Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile
Seinfeld is a classic isn't it? Although I can't take Kramer sometimes...he just is too over-the-edge for me.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  08:09:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey, what about Tim the Tool Man show...can't remember the title but I thought that was a great show because of his "accidents"...you could always see them coming before they happened. And Wilson was a hoot...the partial faced wise man neighbor.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9362 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9362 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  08:20:46 AM  Show Profile
That was Home Improvement and my husband and I loved that show especially Al. And they really had quite the going with Wilson

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  09:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Frannie- Christopher Walken is an actor who played rather creepy characters for most of his career. He actually started out as a song and dance man, believe it or not!

Here's a little something he did a few years back. The song is not that great, but the dancing is super.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com

Edited by - Mumof3 on Sep 05 2008 09:24:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  09:25:47 AM  Show Profile
Home Improvement was a great show...I liked how the wife would put him in his place with her wit...very smart! It sort of poked fun at the macho mentality. Also, 'All in the Family' was a classic. It was ahead of its time and poked fun at ourselves with our ingrained prejudices. I remember sitting with my father watching it, and he would practically roll on the floor laughing! His laughter would set me off! I also enjoyed 'Carol Burnett', and 'Mary Tyler Moore'. Those were the must-see shows of the 70's for me. I loved 'Cheers'...really silly barroom humor and 'Cosby'. I wanted to live at their house. lol

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  09:33:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah....'I Love Lucy', of course! You really got me thinking of my favorite shows.... :)

Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  10:16:07 AM  Show Profile
I Love Lucy of course!! I do think that my humor is rather dry at times.....

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  1:13:23 PM  Show Profile
I don't like sitcoms (at all) but I really liked Everybody Loves Raymond. His mother IS my mother-in-law.
I really miss I Love Lucy and Carol Burnett. Now, That's funny, I don't care who you are. Yes, I like the blue collar comedy guys.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  1:47:15 PM  Show Profile
I love the 40's and 50's old time radio. Jack Benny is my favorite. I also love Fibber McGee and Molly, Ozzie and Harriet, My Favorite Husband (I am a huge Lucille Ball fan) Martin and Lewis (love both of them) The Life of Riley and so on...

Farmgirl #170

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic what is your fav type of "HUMOR"? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page