Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
Rancho Cordova California
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  10:43:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi there! I am just now introducing myself. I am new to the site, I've been here for about a week just checking stuff out. My mom introduced me to the whole experience. I do live in the city, North Hollywood to be exact. But I have a small little container garden on my little patio that is doing very well. On top of that I sew, cook, crochet, and work full time. I have a degree in costume design which is why I am in Hollywood and feel so out of place here so many times. But I am finding ways to enjoy my stuff.
So I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. If there is anyone else living in the area or close by I would love to meet you. I don't find too many other people like me in these neck of the woods.
Have a great day!
Laura Marie

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  12:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Welcome to the Forum, Laura! Your container garden sounds like a wonderful way to enjoy a bit of farm life in the city!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  12:06:51 PM  Show Profile
You are most welcome Laura! Your container garden sounds lovely. I am not a designer, but I adore costumes and love to make in-period pieces now and again for the fun of it. You will fit in just fine here and I hope to get to know you better. Have fun and post away!

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  1:51:41 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura! I am glad you found us...you will find alot of "city farmgirls" here I bet. It will be fun to get to know you here...this is a wonderful place!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  2:21:28 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
A big hug and welcome to ya Laura! Your work sounds way cool!
I hope I get to see some of your designs one of these days.

Melanie

~blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  2:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura Marie! We are glad you joined up. My husband's family is in Laguna Niguel & Diamond Bar. His cousins husband works as an animator for Disney. I'm sure you'll find lots of shared interests here.

Tell us more about your container garden! Are you able to keep it going outside all winter long?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  5:00:48 PM  Show Profile
hi laura .. welcome! you may not live in the country right now .. but city life can be incredibly exciting too! i do sometimes miss being no more than half an hour away from museums and movies and live theatre and book stores and coffee shoppes .. and great stores to shop at! tell us more about your costume designing! xoxo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  7:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Hi Laura! Welcome! My sister used to live in North Hollywood...she lives in Calabasas now and I used to live in Manhattan Beach! Do you do costuming for the movie industry? I work as a Studio Teacher for the movie industry....New Mexico has become a big Movie making place as of late! Jump right in and have fun!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  7:55:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kiddo,

Glad to see you made it! We are going to have sooooooo much fun here!

"Mommy"

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Chives
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Victoria
Shelton Washington
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  8:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura, What do you have growing in your garden? You are going to love this forum. Vicki #280
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  9:18:23 PM  Show Profile
Hello Laura, and Welcome! Hope you will have a great time here. Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Linda
Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  9:30:33 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura!! Iam not that far from you me and Farmgirlof4 live out in Canyon Country in the Sanar Clarita Valley. So welcome welcome!!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  9:44:48 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a warm welcome from everyone. Thank you! To answer some of your questions my container garden right now consist of tomatoes, sugar snap peas, leaf lettuce, radishes, sunflowes (which aren't doing too great), basil, parsley, mint, chamomile, lavendar, rosemary. I've actually only been doing this for about a month or so. I buy a little something everytime I go to the garden store or Target. But right now its doing pretty good. I enjoy it so much. As for some of my design stuff I have my own website going, still in the process of getting more pictures up.
lauramariedesign.com
Thank you so much! Can't wait to join in in all of the fun!
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  10:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Laura,
What a wonderful selection you have for your container garden.
Great job girl, you do what you can where you are at, it counts!!!!!
Welcome to the forum,
Carol Sue

listening to the quiet moments
Farmgirl #39
www.Quitemoments.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  05:23:16 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura! I have a feeling your costume design skills are going to be a great help to all those who sew here.
Georgiann

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  08:16:02 AM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Hello Laura, just the farmgirl spirit to make the most of where you are, so congrats and welcome to this special place. You will find lots of kindred spirits here and I am looking forward to getting to know you...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  8:56:17 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura,

I know what you mean about feeling out of place. So Cal and even more so where you live is not the normal stomping ground for farmgirls. But, this is a great site for anyone who feels those down to earth yearnings.

BTW - check out pathtofreedom.com They are an urban homestead in Pasadena that you fight find inspirational. They do some pretty cool stuff.

Welcome aboard.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  10:33:06 PM  Show Profile
and besides you are not that far from great farm country...Ventura County!
Jenn lives there and I use to, and remember you can just scoot up the 101 or PCH to Santa Barbara as well as Santa Maria,,,infact twixt & tween Carpenteria and Santa Barbara is a lovely Rose Farm(it was featured in Victoria Magazine several years ago) and they do tours & teas..so even if you are a City Girl you are just a stones throw from the country.
Hugz & Welcome to MJF.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  10:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Laura and welcome to the sisterhood :) So many nice folks here and from all over the world. Newbie here too but way over in Wisconsin. I have a small yard so do some container gardening also. Your life sounds very exciting to this midwestern gal :)
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  09:42:22 AM  Show Profile
Grace,

I love that rose farm (Rose Story Farms, I believe). DD, sis and I went a few years ago for my bday and had a great time. The walking tour was wonderful and they gave us a little book so we could write down the names of all the rose varieties we liked. Even DD had pages and pages of roses she wanted in our yard. The tea was lovely under a huge tree on the lawn. Very restful. That's where I found my favorite French gardening hat. Now I wanna go back
Go to Top of Page

Laura Marie
True Blue Farmgirl

419 Posts

Laura
USA
419 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  12:22:55 PM  Show Profile
I've never been nor have I heard about it. But I want to go. I am going to look into it and find it. I have a friend who is in to tea time and loves roses. So I think I might have to go and expereince it and let you all know what it's all about. Thank you for the recommendation! I'm excited about it now!
Go to Top of Page

wild daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

503 Posts

Madelynne
Billings Montana
USA
503 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  2:56:38 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Laura. I'm also a newbie to the group but I have been and farm girl all my life.

Madelynne
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  9:20:04 PM  Show Profile
Laura,
just type in 'Rose Story Farm', they have a lovely website and wonderful products for sale.

Jenn, so glad you got to experience it for your B-day. I tried to get some of my girlfriends together to go have tea & tour but they felt the $25 was a bit pricey so I never did get to go. Bummer!

Hey Madelynne, welcome aboard.

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New from California Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page