Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic mailbox paint? Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  1:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I hate my mailbox.
It came with the house, it's just a cheap green metal, and about to fall off the half-done post the previous idiot had it on. Nothing in this house was done right, not even the mailbox.

Anyway, I came across this:
http://www.dianemorgan.com/Mailboxes/mailboxes_country.html

And thought "why can't I just paint my mailbox?" Rather than spend $200 on a new box, I've got some creative talent, surely I can paint on it?

Any suggestions/experiences with painting on metal? Any outdoor paint brands people have tried - cheaper or better ones than others?

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile
What a fabulous idea!! Growing up we always had such a wonderful little mail box. My grandpa was a concrete worker and made us the most beautiful mail box planter. It was always my job to walk to the end of out lane and water the mail box plants. It's such a fun part of our homes to add a little farmgirl charm!! Thanks for sharing!!
Kate

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.....unless they are spelling mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  2:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Greyghost,
We have 6 mailboxes in a stand that DH and I built for the neighborhood...and I have to paint all 6 every year or they look like..well crummy.Seems it is my job for ever. My hubby calls me The Little Red Hen..it is the story of my life!

use Rustoleum spray paint from the hardware store..home depot, whatever. Sand off the flaking paint,spray paint it first with a really good coat of Rustoleum primer, then what ever color you want.The trick with spray paint is take your time, do many thin light coats..if you try too hard to cover it all in one spraying, you will get drips.
Then if you want to paint cute stuff like the other boxes, you'll have to use oil based paints in a tube. Water based will go bye bye. Like wise if you decopauge, use a marine varnish.Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  4:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Thanks Diane, that's a great help!

Where can I find the marine varnish? Decopauge is a cool idea, so long as the colors do not fade underneath it. Will I have to revarnish every year? It's okay if I do, I just want to know the ins and outs before I do so.
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  9:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Local lumber store should have marine varnish or something near it. Anything which is not water based should work, just lots of coats well dried in between.I don't know about whether you have to re-varnish every year or not.Probably.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic mailbox paint? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page