Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Yay Organics! Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  11:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
In the last few weeks it seems my little grocery store is finally "getting it," and ordering more organics! Now I can find organic butter (salted and unsalted), mozarella cheese, the occasional veggies (one week celery, next week maybe carrots), and the occasional chicken.

The hard part is it is SO expensive! $5 for butter, or $10 for a whole chicken. It's hard to spend that much on these things, but I know the more it gets bought by me and others, the more it will get cheaper.

I'm very excited - yesterday my neighbor gave me some deer meat after his morning hunting, and another neighbor gave me some fresh-ground grits and oatmeal! Yummy!

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  6:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Oh that's good news Lynn. My local store here carries quite a bit of organic foods but like you said, the veggies aren't something I can count on. Sometimes they have apples, other times not, sometimes it's bell peppers, other times it's carrots. They ALWAYS carry the dairy products but the mozzarella cheese comes preshredded in a bag for 5.00 and the butter is 5.99 so it's still pricey here too. I do my best but have to admit I can't afford the butter or cheese. I do buy the milk and yogurt and sour cream and veggies when I can. Hopefully your store will expand the organic section even more!!!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  05:15:12 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'm thinking I should just make my own butter from the organic milk? Never done it before but it's explained in a few places on the site. It would be half the cost...

I only bought the organic butter for use on buttering bread - I still use margarine for all the baking and cooking, I use olive oil as much as I can instead.
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  06:06:24 AM  Show Profile
It's nice to have that option at the grocery store! Now if they would not package it in plastic, it would be even better.
You will need to use cream to make butter. It's a little bit of work but if you don't use much, you might think it's worth it. I took margarine out of our diet years ago. Our bodies don't know how to digest the stuff. What are those things on the ingredient label anyway? It would be nice if more people saw the value in purchasing organics. I salute you!

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  07:00:52 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I hear bad things about both margarine AND butter - so I never know which is worse for you!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  07:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Yes, make sure you use cream not milk. My store has organic cream, and I'm guessing yours does too if they sell the milk. It's not hard to do at all just when you look at the price of the cream and then look to see how much butter it makes, it's really not that big of a difference in price. Still it's a VERY good way to use up extra cream.

I too NEVER use margarine. It's basically like spreading softened plastic on your bread. Butter is more expensive, rather you buy the organic or not but at least you know what's in it. My FIL heart doctor says the brand Fleismans is the best to use and you should never use butter!!! WHAT??? I know it has saturated fat but my gosh, I would rather cut WAY back on how much butter I ate rather than eat plastic!!! Anyways that's all they use in their house, it's bad enough that when they come visit my MIL brings her own margarine because all we use is butter . We use olive oil most of the time anyways and rarely eat butter on our bread anymore. We always drizzle olive oil and then spread fresh roasted garlic on it. YUMMY!!!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  09:06:10 AM  Show Profile
The butter vs margarine debate came to a quick end around here when posed with the question, "Do you trust a cow or a scientist"? We use butter...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  09:20:25 AM  Show Profile
We use butter too..I just don't see how margerine can be worse for you with all those mystery things in it. I can't wait to make butter from Mona's milk after she calves!!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  09:28:09 AM  Show Profile
When your choice is what God made or what man made, it's easy to pick! Natural, untampered-with is always best.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  10:09:39 AM  Show Profile

yup...just organic butter and extra virgin olive oil here......
nuttin' else!!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

Kate
MaryJane's Farmgirl

135 Posts

Kate
Moscow ID
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  10:17:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure if you gals have Yoke's Fresh Markets near you or if it's just a Pacific Northwest Store but my mom said that they are trying to go all natural and or organic. It's a major food chain so that’s really promising! They have slowly integrated in organic foods over the years and like you all have mentioned they must have received great feed back. So keep shopping organic!!
Oh and Good Beautiful November Morning to ya'll!!
Kate

Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it.....unless they are spelling mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  11:15:56 AM  Show Profile
I've noticed when I go to the "regular" grocery store -- Albertsons, Safeway, etc -- that more and more organic items are appearing on the shelves. Looks like the big food companies are finally getting the picture but it's more like they just want to make more money! I will continue to buy my organic items from local sources as much as possible.

On another note -- I have been using PAM, or similar non-stick sprays, for years. I ran out several months ago and have not purchased any. But I found out a couple of days ago that these sprays contain silicone. When I went to the store I read the label. Sure enough, it lists silicone as an ingredient supposedly to help cut down on foaming. YUCK -- it grosses me out to think that I had been eating food cooked in this stuff for years!

The only time that housework comes before sewing is in the dictionary!
http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  12:34:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
EEEwwwwww...... silicone? Blech!
I was trying to find some made with "real butter" but all of it is artificial... so I didn't buy any. Glad to know about the silicone!
And the FDA approves this stuff??
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  3:08:16 PM  Show Profile
Do you all use those refillable spray bottles you fill with oil? I wonder if they are worth the money?
I like that - God made or man made. Definitely God made! I try to choose food as close to it's natural state as possible. No margarine can beat the taste of butter anyway, even using just a little. Butter is the secret to delicious cooking! I found a little store that has organic butter today but at $5.99 for 1/2 pound, I think I'll keep looking.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  5:57:25 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by prairiemaid

Do you all use those refillable spray bottles you fill with oil? I wonder if they are worth the money?
Call me old fashioned.

I do!!! I got mine for either 6.99 or 9.99 at Linens and Things. I fill it with olive oil only and it works great. You do have to clean the tip pretty often or it gets clogged but worth the effort for sure for me and my family. As far as PAM goes, I quit using that several years ago after a neighbor of mine was doing something where the PAM got sprayed on the cement (sorry don't remember the specifics), the next day there were small holes eaten in the cement where the PAM was!!!! And people eat that???? NO thank you!!

Edited by - lonestargal on Nov 08 2005 5:57:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  11:16:34 AM  Show Profile
Now that you mention it, I also made an inadvertant switch a few months ago. I keep a can handy, but more and more reach for the olive oil. I even use it to bake cakes rather than use the regular cooking oil. With the eggs we get from our chickens, and the olive oil, the cakes rise and are so fluffly, you have to stop yourself from just about eating the whole thing.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2005 :  11:56:05 AM  Show Profile
I read that margarine is 1 monicule(sp)away from being plastic!
And they have spray olive oil now, wonder if it has silcone in it ?
yuck
shirley in Oly
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  4:14:28 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Spray olive oil also has silicone.

Hey all of a sudden we're getting MORE organic stuff - my hubby came home from the store and said that there are organic granola bars now. Not sure I believe that - did the law change as far as what can be deemed organic? I seem to remember something about 2 months ago where the FDA was getting involved and their standards would not be the same. Anybody know?
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  5:44:43 PM  Show Profile
Diane, I love your choices of trust!! Surely a cow is more trustworthy! No offense to any scientists out there. On our daily walk, we paused to visit with the cows and they are such beautiful creatures. And there is nothing like a fresh glass of milk or churned butter!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  6:30:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by greyghost

Spray olive oil also has silicone.

Hey all of a sudden we're getting MORE organic stuff - my hubby came home from the store and said that there are organic granola bars now. Not sure I believe that - did the law change as far as what can be deemed organic? I seem to remember something about 2 months ago where the FDA was getting involved and their standards would not be the same. Anybody know?

The laws have been weakened. Non-organic ingredients are now allowed in organic processed foods.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/sos/weaken102705.cfm

Instead of using the non-stick sprays I put olive oil in a squirty bottle. It works nicely.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  08:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
So how do we find out which food companies are mixing organic and non organic and calling it organic? This kind of problem makes me really sick - we can try so hard to have only organics in our home, and then they want to ruin it for us!
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2005 :  9:31:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean, Anna! This is why we should all move to a big happy commune, and make everything we need for ourselves. :) Never to worry again! ( I really do dream about such a thing sometimes!) Simple things were never meant to be so complicated. I think we're all headed in the right direction! Soon there will be enough Farmgirl businesses to sustain us all. And the trust will be ingrained in our farmgirlness.
Love
Judes

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  04:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'll move to a commune! Sign me up. :)
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  06:03:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Judes!

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page