Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 I am interested in........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I am interested in........ Next Topic  

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:51:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
sergers! I have always thought I wanted one (Sherri mentioned using one on The Fabric Washing Thread) and I felt it was a big enough topic to start anew!

They look Soooooo involved (actually kind of intimidating,..... Me Thinks!).....What do any of you suggest regarding sergers.....what brand.....should I take a lesson in using one before buying one?...I am usually pretty good with teaching myself things with an instruction book or is this something I should not attempt to learn with a book?? Do you find you use them alot?

Any and All answers will be Greatly appreciated! The Holidays are approaching and I thought this MIGHT be a good gift for my Honey to give Me! :)

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:52:08 PM  Show Profile
I have never had one either and will be interested to hear the comments about them!!! Good topic Audrey!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  07:28:56 AM  Show Profile
Here's what I did. Years ago when sergers first came on the market for the home sewer (1985-86), I rented one and made my then little ones a whole wardrobe from knits...this is back when leggings were really in and longer t-shirts and MC Hammer style pants, etc. I rented it for a week and fell in love with it! Didn't have the money to buy one but put it on my wish list for someday and lo and behold I got one for Christmas a couple of years down the road. I still have it and still use it and still love it. I have a MyLock made by Janome but as I said it's pretty old now and there are lots newer, improved varieties out there so I can't tell you about the features of the newer models but mine is a 3/4 thread (uses 3 or 4 threads to complete a stitch). There are now 4/5 and maybe more threads you can use for more varied options on seam finishing. You can do a lot with a serger. Make rolled hems for napkins and knit finishes and of course overlock seams, gathering is a dream on a serger and I use that often as mine has differential feed. The new models like a Babylock is self-threading with jets of air! Wow. I keep mine setup kitty-corner to my sewing machine and use it constantly.

They are intimidating to thread when you have a thread breakage...but it's not so much intimidating but a pain in the brain to get in the tight spaces to rethread. In fact my thread broke the other day on a project and I just left it...have that task to do before I get to sewing again.

Audrey, try visiting the Pattern Review website and read over the reviews on sergers...it is really helpful to read about others experiences with different makes/models of machines. I have heard nothing but great things about BabyLock Dream-"something" serger but again I have no personal knowledge and I am making do with what I have since it does the jobs I need, finishing seams, garment construction, rolled hems and gathering. I've never had mine in the shop and maintain it on my own. It needs oiling and knife changes occasionally which I am always way behind on. It does need cleaning quite often as so many little fluffs get everywhere inside due to the nature of it cutting off the fabric as you sew. By the way, you can drop the knife down and choose not to cut the fabric also for the rolled hems and such. It's pretty versatile.

Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 baby lock machines and love them both I got the second one because of the treading feature it does it itself with a little help. I think they are a must if you sew clothes so quick and easy. They will never replace a sewing machine though. Still lots needs to be done with a regular machine. If we were closer I would let you borrow one and try it out.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  07:45:11 AM  Show Profile
It's a very personal thing, just like buying a sewing machine, so do the research to find one that suits your needs. What do you want to accomplish? How much do you want to spend? Are you faithful to a particular brand? What options are you looking for? As Jami said, read the reviews on sergers so you can make an educated decision when it comes time to buy. Don't leave that decision up to hubby~you're the one that will be using it. I don't know how I lived without one for so many years after I got mine about 3 yrs ago. But by all means read up on them.
http://products.howstuffworks.com/serger-overlock-machine-reviews.htm

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  08:22:41 AM  Show Profile
Audrey, I have a Singer serger that I love! My husband bought it for me for my birthday 4 years ago and I use it all of the time! I have had it repaired once, but it was my fault! I have heard that at least the Singer embroidery machines are not very good and that is coming from a guy who owns a sewing store! In fact he won't carry them anymore and I know some people don't like the Singer sergers, but I really like mine! My mother-in-law just got a Sears-Kenmore serger. She was very intimidated about using one before she got it, but now she loves it! My brother-in-law even took in a shirt on it and he does NOT sew! As far as my Singer I got it from Walmart and I am lost with out it and after 4 years I finally need to buy a new cutting blade! Good luck!
Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  09:14:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm on my second serger - having worn out the first one. I use them for all my children's clothing because of durability and the seam finish. My first one was a Singer - cheap, but lasted all through sewing for two of my children. Then when I started the business I bought a new one - I bought Husqvarna because I had always had Husqvarna sewing machines. It's a four thread - you cn get 3,4, and 5 thread machines. Four is enough for what I do. It works great - never had any trouble with it, but if it accidently becomes unthreaded - thread breaks, or a knot doesn't hold when switching colors, I can sometime spend upwards of an hour rethreading it. That's my only complaint. And that's probably due to my aging eyes and manual dexterity! So, I couldn't live without my serger - knocks one whole step - a lot of time- off of my production sewing. And I've never, ever, had a seam come loose on a cottong quilt, even through repeated washing. I only use the serger when sewing simple, straight seam, quilts, but that's all I make for the business. Yes, buy one if you can!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  10:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Jami.....Renting one is such a good idea! I am definately going to look into that. I never thought about renting one to see how I feel about having one!!

Diana.....I am definately going to explore one with an easy threading feature as I think that is the part that I might just find most intimidating!

Bonne...Thank You for the link! I will be checking it out!

Monica...I am glad to hear you use yours alot! That gives me Hope!

Sherri...Ha! My husband used to have a Husqvarna Motorcycle (In his youth!!) He will love the name of the brand!

Jenny.....I know all of the information has helped me and I hope it helped you as well!!!

Thank You All So Much!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  11:20:04 AM  Show Profile
Audrey - they are sold under the Viking name - it's actually Husqvarna/Viking.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  4:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Thanks Sherri!

Until Later,
Audrey

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic I am interested in........ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page