one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  9:09:36 PM  Show Profile
It was howling nearby. I'ts the first one I have head since being in Idaho. There is quite a controversy up here as far as keeping them on the endangered list or not. I can't even pretend to know enough to have an opinion on that one. All I know is that they are territorial, and have killed dogs. So, DH wants me to learn to shoot, since our property os full of game trails. We are at the base of a mountain between the mountain and the river, and wheat fields.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  9:27:04 PM  Show Profile
Awesome!!!! In the wilds of northern Idaho....

Hey, my daughter and I were just through BF last week, on our way home from a short vacation in Alberta and BC. It's a beautiful area. Last year we visited Kootenai NWF for the first time. We were looking for moose, for my daughter, and saw a cow and calf in the distance.

Karin =)

Edited by - YiberryYadeeKarin on Sep 01 2008 9:28:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  9:40:11 PM  Show Profile
Trish what a great sound to hear. We heard a wolf down in Arkansas on a float trip a few yrs back, it was an awesome howl, kinda made you perk up.

Do be careful, your place sounds like heaven. Do you go flyfishing or fishing?

Karin, cool on seeing the moose. Bet that was exciting to see mom and her calf : )

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  9:48:47 PM  Show Profile
I do fish, but haven't here in Idaho, mainly because we have a one year old, that lokes to eat dirt. I used to go salmon/steelhead fishing on the Rogue River, in Oregon, which is where I am from. I really want to go, and we live about a five minute walk from the best fishing hole around here, so we have decided to pack up the playpen and go soon.
I have not been flyfishing, but worked at a flyfishing lodge one summer. Most flyfisherpeople are catch and release. I'm too hungry for that. But I think fly poles are really cool.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  9:51:59 PM  Show Profile
No wolves around here, but we can hear coyotes howling on most nights, and sometimes not very far away. Very spooky and lonesome sounding...can only imagine how the wolves must sound.
Linda
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:13:37 PM  Show Profile
It was very deep, and very loud, we heard it over TV.

I have a ,"thing," about apex predators. When I was 12, my dad bought a wild wolf pup from a man in Wimer, OR. He didn't want it, because it was older than he would of liked, but she was on a choke chain in the middle of a hot field with a turned over margarine dish of water. So, he paid the man, and we took her home. We tried our best to tame her, but she was too grown, and too much a wolf, and pretty much got out of control. We had a huge fenced garden that became hers.
Some how she got knocked up by our Belgian Shepherd, and had a bunch of pups. My dad took a pup from her and I think it made her mad because a few days later, she chewed me up when I bent over to change her water, which really should have been Dad's job. I ended up in the hospital for 5 days and had 67 staples in my leg, belly, and both arms.
In the end, she was destroyed. I am not afraid of dogs, but am a little weirded out by wolves. Apparently it is thought by some native americam cultures, that if you are attacked by an animal, that it is your totem, or teacher.

The worst part for me was when I was a teenager. Sometimes, someone would catcha a glimpse of a scar on my breast/chest and say what happened. It was embarassing, so I started lying and saying it was from a .22 Then I got left alone.
Can you believe I have never seen a counselor? HA

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:21:18 PM  Show Profile
PS sombody better make another comment, or I will feel like a total freakshow.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:34:34 PM  Show Profile
Have you ever visited "Wolf People"? It's outside of Sandpoint, ID...you can look it up online. I went there last year while visiting my grandparents. It is such a fun/wonderful place. They care for a bunch of wolves. When I went, there was a bunch of baby wolves. We were all able to go inside their area and pet and hold the babies. They were the size of small dogs. I even pet the mother. She was very nice and pretty. I have pictures and will post them sometime.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:44:44 PM  Show Profile
I drive by it on my way to WA, I think that village is Cocallala. I have always wondered what exactly happens in there. I should bring my best friend there, when she visits. She is totally interested in my relationship with wolves.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Trish thats quite a wolf story. Go with the wolf attack instead of a .22, its more exciting. As long as you don't howl and grow hair on a full moon I think you'll be ok.

Not funny on the attack tho, had a mean shepard once, went to feed it and it attacked my gut, pulled back fast enough, it was on a chain, got my good shirt tho. Dad got this dog from a junk yard, thought we could us it to guard our shop, not cool when it attacks its owners. Back to the junk yard it went.

Both my sister and I were bit in the butt by the same dog at the same time, it bit us while we were knocking on our friends door to come out and play, boo hoo we ran home with sore butts :P.

Last dog bite I got was about 3 or 4 yrs ago , I was riding my bike on our country roads when a distant neighbors dog came out and bit my leg : (. I had to call up the neighbor to see if it had its rabie shots.

On the totem, I guess I would be the dog. I almost could have been a cougar totem, when confronted a couple of times by one. But then I wouldn't be around to have a totem if it had me for lunch , so dog totem well be just fine. But then again I have been biten by a snake!!!!!

tc linda

edit to add, I was thinkin about all these dog bites I got and what you said, quess I'm still in the learnin stage.

Locust Trail Homestead

Edited by - LindaEllen on Sep 01 2008 11:00:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to hear about your cougar stories. I have seen three. I was in my truck and was scared.
All those bites, wow, maybe you are meant be a mail carrier.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Patricia! You are very strong to not let your experience sour you completely on the animals!

There is quite a bit of controversy about the wolves around here as well. The Yellowstone packs have grown faster than most predicted. I don't mind them because I feel they are part of the natural ecosystem, but at the same time...I'm not a rancher that has lost animals. I am sure if they impacted my livelihood I would feel differently. I guess I can see both sides of the matter.

I would love to see "Wolf People"! It sounds like an amazing place!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:26:52 AM  Show Profile
I dread the thought of hearing that sound being a sheep rancher and all...it's just a matter of perspective on how you embrace wolf reintroduction I guess, just like Alee said.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  09:22:26 AM  Show Profile
Trish- Good night, girlfriend. What a scary story. I have never been biteen by anything more than a mosquito, but my little sister was attaked by a German Shepherd right in front of me. I was 14 and I kicked the stuffing out of that dog. He had bitten her in the back of the head (she was two) and it was just horrible. When she came home from the hospital, my mother took her right over to the neighbor's house to sit with their Lab, Lady, the most gentle dog on earth. That was the best thing she could have done, because my sister was ok with dogs after that.
I would go with the wolf attack too. Makes you sound like much more of a frontier woman.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:21:28 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to add the part about my 5 month pregnant mother came running out of the house with a broom, and tried to beat the wolf off of me, but it didn't work, so she pulled her mouth off me with her hands and wrestled the wolf until our Belgian Shepherd jumped from an almost two story, opened window and ran in the garden. The wolf then stopped, being more interested in the dog. For a long time, I didn't remember much about the attack.
At the time I had an add job company with the neighbor girl, she was there, waiting for me to finish chores. She helped me into the house, and all I wanted to do was sleep. My mom had a broken truck, and dad was at work, so my brother ran to the neighbor, Tim, and he took us to the hospital. I can remember being angry about having had my favorite outfit ruined, hawaiian bermuda shorts and a turquoise save the whales shirt. Silly kid.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  11:32:35 AM  Show Profile
This is wayyyy more exciting recount than the being shot one. It's no wonder you weren't traumatized into having no dogs per acre.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  1:48:00 PM  Show Profile
I realize that a wolf is not a dog. Even a hybrid is not as huge and wild as a full blooded wolf. Oddly enough I am leary of little dogs, and enjoy the company of pit bulls, and other breeds derived from mastiffs.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  2:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Ok Trish your story keeps getting better. Yep it sounds more like a frontier women thing.

LOL on me being a mail carrier (dog bites) BTW I have had many dogs in my life and would not be without one. From German Shepherds,Lab,Beagle,Black and Tan Coonhounds, Afghan Hounds,Great Dain,and Dachshunds, to plain ol Mutts. Right now I have a lab mix, jet black , named her Coal.

On the cougars, first when we moved to the sticks about a year living in the woods. We heard this hair raising sound, like a women scream, scarrrrry. The first sighting I was coming up a steep hill with a big rock from the creek. There it was looking at me from the top of the hill, just yards away. I could only see its head and shoulders. I froze. It left. I went to the cabin with my rock. Told everyone, yah right. I guess the white as a sheet coloring they thought was from totin a rock up the hill, I would think that would be a more redish color.

Then the backside of one of our horses got slashed. Hummmmm , you seen a cougar did ya. But still was some doubt.

Then Mom and I seen the beauty again some 15 ft away from us and right by our campfire, we cooked steaks that evening. We froze. Mom's a believer now, Sis and Dad are still in doubt. Then sis is coming up from behind the pond and there she see's it looking at her, you guess, she froze. We'er a cold bunch of cityslickers. Dad never seen it.

Thats just 1/2 mile as the crow flies from here and back around 1973. Now on our homestead a few yrs back, we took our kids on a float trip, just an overnight stay. We came home to our pigmy goats with just head and skin left, turkeys all plucked out ready to be tossed in the oven, two turtle doves, one dead and the other gone. Heavy cages and claw marks of a cougar on the wood. It was sickening.

Just a few months this year a cougar was spotted over at Moms again by a neighbor. I was going to get alpacas but decided not to at this time.

A black panther has been spotted as well and I'm not for sure if what I saw was it. I was fishing and seen this big black animal jump from the tree down, very fast. This was two yrs ago. Then I had heard sightings of the black panther recent. So I walk with a big stick in my woods and take Coal with me too.

Been bit by a snake on my lip, hummmmm , I know that sounds weird , but my crazy cousin, I would like to kick in the backside, caught this snake and said want to kiss a snake while holding and letting it go in my face, got me in the lip. I fell to the ground, the snake fell to the ground, we both layed there sick :P.

Now the worst attack that I have had has been those mosquitos. I have slapped myself silly trying to get em. Its brutal.

Oh I love the wildlife and love to spot all kinds of creatures. We just need to be aware of whats out there and what to do if confronted. An follow guidelines when camping and hiking.

tc linda, boy was that a long post

Locust Trail Homestead

Edited by - LindaEllen on Sep 02 2008 2:43:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  3:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Linda!

Be careful! I appreciate the beauty and majesty of the big cats...but they are dangerous predators. I had a cat check out a campsite of mine while I was in it. It was exhibiting hunting behavior in the fact that it was dead silent. The only thing that tipped us off was a bit of a rustling sound and the fact that we could smell it! I don't know what that thing has been eating or rolling in, but it smelled really strong- like skunk but not. You should have seen my dad's face when we got back from our little camping trip the next day. I thought he was going to faint!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  4:00:26 PM  Show Profile
That reminds me of when I went backpacking with my Botany class. We has a cat that sat across the meadow and watched us at night for 5 nights. It sprayed really near us, that was horrible!

Sorry aout your farm friends, Linda. We have to worry about black bears, grizzlys, mountain lions, coyotes, and wolves here, so I have not gotten chickens or goats because of it. I would be so sad to have that kind of thing happen. Friends of DH told us how they have cougars and wolves that stalk newborn calves and foals. Circle of life, I know, but I have a soft spot for tiny calves.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  6:04:38 PM  Show Profile
Wow gals,
You guys live life near the nature! We have a brave farmgirl sister killing a copperhead and another where the wolves are howling at the door! Back in Baltimore, I get excited when I see bunnies and squirrels in the yard! Then there's the occasional fox that comes roaming and several years ago, we had a raccoon and a groundhog living under our neighbors porch. But that's about as wild as the wildlife gets around here!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  10:25:51 PM  Show Profile
Trish,
This story is just too horribly vivid...I feel so bad for your twelve year old self going through the trauma and pain. You really need to write this all down in detail. It could actually become a Lifetime movie! Seriously, what a close call you and your mom had. Terrifying.
Linda
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  9:28:43 PM  Show Profile
great story! i'd be braggin' on it if i were you!

i guess by that totem theory .. i mus' be a chigger or mosquito! xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I heard a wolf! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page