Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Finally got watermelons and cantalopes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Finally got watermelons and cantalopes Next Topic  

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  9:33:37 PM  Show Profile
We are usually picking watermelons the first of August. We had one watermelon from the patch this last week and today my husband picked 7 or 8 melons and only one the size that he usually grows. We had about a wheel barrow of cantalopes and I cut up 5 to eat on in the refrig. We don't near have the crop that we usually have, this summer has been so odd. We had a bumper crop of cherries, peaches, and looks like apples but the things we normally have to beg others to take the surplus has been neel! I will give praise in all things and be thankful for what we have got and stop grumpling about the things we didn't get! Anyone want to remind me of this the next time I complain? By the way...the watermelon tasted delicious and so did the cantalope. Wish I could share with you all!

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  9:47:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
mmmmm! I HATE commercially grown cantaloupe! It tastes bitter and lack luster. Home grown cantaloupe is so good! I just bought some from a local farmer the other day. I can't wait until I can grow some next year!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  9:53:12 PM  Show Profile
oooh it all sounds so yummy! Thankfully, there are a lot of local growers around here. Fresh watermelon and Cantaloupe(my fav) is just delic!!
hugs jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  1:18:37 PM  Show Profile
The neighbors have been watching our patch for the last few weeks...we usually give them away and my husband's father did before we lived here. It is funny to see people drive by, slow down by the patch and give it a good look. Some have been calling and I have had to sadly tell them that we just didn't have the growing season this year.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Finally got watermelons and cantalopes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page