nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  12:26:46 PM  Show Profile
I am in search of shoes to wear in my garden, pasture etc.. I have been wearing flip flops as I can kick them off and barefoot garden however lately I seem to be a magnet for goatheads,sooo I have an old pair of tennis shoes, however they are only to the ankle and i get more stickers inside my shoes than I care to talk any more about. I think I would like something that rises above my ankles, tie on, and dark, leather is a strong candidate. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wonder what MaryJane and employees wear? You seem to be in the know of what the rest of us want......(which is a good thing)

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  1:54:34 PM  Show Profile
Muck boots are very good. Different heights--above the ankle to knee high. I think you can google 'muck boots' it is a brand name. MB

http://www.muckbootsonline.com/

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Aug 27 2008 1:56:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  2:40:27 PM  Show Profile
I love my mud boots and my clogs. Was just at Target over the weekend and they were both on sale. $3.75 for clogs and $15 for the boots. Not bad.
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  3:17:56 PM  Show Profile
Definitely need the muck boots. Goat heads are the worst,

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  3:27:19 PM  Show Profile
They don't go over my ankles but I am sold on my birkenstock rubber clogs. I have worn the same navy blue pair for 15 years at least. I wear crocks alot too...I would love to get some leather boots. My "lacers" have a leather sole...I want some with the grippeir sole for working.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  3:40:06 PM  Show Profile
yes boots.

And get some heavy duty gloves, and pull as many of those goat heads as you can! Try not to let them grow, they will keep seeding and you will have so many of them you won't know what to do.

The best thing to do is pull, pull, pull! It will take a few years (with out poison, and only pulling), but eventually you can have a goathead free garden/yard.

We struggeled with them for what seemed like forever, but eventually got rid of them. (pulling constantly!).

http://www.wolfprncez.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  4:14:12 PM  Show Profile
MUCK BOOTS! I adore mine, and got them from J. Peterman's catalog. They are the Edgewaters.

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Sep 02 2008 8:24:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  9:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Kim:
I have a pair of muck clog. They don't come to the ankles. You can wear socks with them. What size do you wear in a shoe? I have a 6.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  12:43:53 PM  Show Profile
I wear a 9.5 to 10 in ladies. I will order that J Peterman catalog. Thank you all.

BTW, I went over to snack on some rasberries last night, OMG, goatheads everywhere......arhhhh!

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  1:19:14 PM  Show Profile
I am wearing those CLOG types thingies, they are......PINK with flowers LOL! I need pink, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

(Only Elvis is a black kitten :) )

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  09:28:02 AM  Show Profile
I wear rubber boots from the farm store. I especially like the pair I bought this past fall. made in USA and a portion of profit goes to the FFA kids. And they were like $20. I wear them in the winter with wool sox, in the summer, no sox. When it gets too hot I wear wore out tennies.
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  10:53:57 AM  Show Profile
OK, I give -- what are goatheads? Maybe we have them here and call them something else!

Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  5:17:37 PM  Show Profile
I love my muckboots! They are comfy, easy to slip on and off, and keep my feet dry and un-muddy!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  5:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I just saw a pair of PINK muck boots at the Tractor store..oh boy..guess what I am getting as a late birthday present!! HA!! I don't have a farm but I do clean poop up all day, between the dog and kiddo.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  07:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Georgiann, you would know if you had goatheads. We don't have them here in KS but spent some time in western OK and they are everywhere. They have a seedhead that has one huge sticker on it's head. They are so mean and tough that they will puncture a bicycle tire. Get one in your foot and Oweeeeee
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  12:19:47 PM  Show Profile
our goatheads are a round ball looking seed with a few horns sticking out. One of whch is larger than the others. When this weed flowers, it has a small yelow flower. They say not only is the flower a seed carrier, but inside the goathead is more waiting to be born. ugh.... I was thinking if someone could invent a rahter large lint brush and roll it over the yard, that should pick them up?????

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  12:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I wear my crocs sometimes but I'm wary of the mud because they are slippery in the mud! I prefer boots but when it's so hot I hate to wear them. Over the ankle boots are the best, especially if you have uneven land. They help you from turning your ankle.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Shoes for the garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page