Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What is home? Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  7:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hey gals - I know, I'm barely in here anymore. And here I waltz in and ask for help!

My husband and I have come to realize that where we are now is not where we really want to find land and settle. We sat down and discussed what it is about this area that makes it "not home" or "not right" to us, individually. It's kind of sad because I've come to know a lot of people here, but neither of us feels like we are at home, and for all the people I know, nobody can really be called a good friend. We're just different from everyone! We've come up with our criteria, but now we need to find that area.

So I'm reaching out to you gals, because I know you're all most likely to understand and be in/know of areas that maybe we are not thinking of.

Here's what we know:
We need to be not too far from a city - not a huge one, but something like Chattanooga-size that is doing fairly well. We excell at finding properties and fixing them up, then renting or selling them. That's what we are good at, where he and I both work out beautifully as a team. The houses we are done with are usually very unique, with a homey personality rather than the cold-looking track houses that sell for homes now.

No offense to anyone intended: we need some Yankees. Our non-drawl is constantly pointed out to us, and not in a good way. I don't think we'd be comfortable in all-Yankee territory either... but someplace where there's a mix is good enough.

We need people who think a little more like we do. We're all about self-sufficiency. We're very independent minded, very political but we don't align with any party. We want people who view the world differently - I know a lot of people on this forum do that.

What we want our land for: peace and quiet, self-sufficiency, and for my herb farm. I may sell organic herbs.

Locations: I cannot abide Florida and he will not go further north than the Knoxville TN line (he isn't dealing well with winter). I know more people are like us in Idaho and out west, but we aren't willing to move that far from family - which are in Florida and southern Illinois.

Any ideas? Right now we're looking outside Savannah, outside Asheville, and outside Chattanooga. Thanks in advance (((hugs)))

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  8:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You might want to use http://www.findyourspot.com/ It helps you compare cities, towns, climate, crime and such!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  9:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Check out Eureka, AR. I know it sounds hick but this town is an oasis in the desert as it were. There are many self sufficent organic, open minded people down there.

I also think kansas city is kinda nice, but we do have some winters!

whiteraven

farmgirl Sister #320

Life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  6:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Thanks gals! I knew you'd have some suggestions. Alee, that site is wonderful! It named two places we were considering already - good signs!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic What is home? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page