Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 First Quilt. -- Any advice?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic First Quilt. -- Any advice? Next Topic  

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  06:30:46 AM  Show Profile
I am determined to make a quilt! I have been wanting to do this since Last November. Only thing is I have no clue as to where I should start. My grandma has made numerous quilts and I have asked her to help me but she says she is just too shaky now. Plus she lives two hours away at the farm.
I just need some advice on what to do. I would really appreciate it!

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  07:23:53 AM  Show Profile
Ellenor Burns has some great quilt books that are all strip quilting. Cut strip sew together cut apart sew again. A simple patch quilt All squares 4 inches or what ever size and sewn together then tied with batting and backing. But really try to take a class and start small.
I love to quilt but the first quilt I started got finished 15 years later because I had started on to big a project.

good luck

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  07:27:36 AM  Show Profile
You could start with something easy like 5 by 5 squares. When you go to acually quilt the layers together, just do the seams and and X over each block.

whiteraven

farmgirl Sister #320

Life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  07:50:24 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by gramadinah

Ellenor Burns has some great quilt books that are all strip quilting. Cut strip sew together cut apart sew again. A simple patch quilt All squares 4 inches or what ever size and sewn together then tied with batting and backing. But really try to take a class and start small.
I love to quilt but the first quilt I started got finished 15 years later because I had started on to big a project.

good luck

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Well I wish I could take a quilting class, but I live in a very small town with one stop light. The nearest town with a WalMart is A little over 40 miles. No one in that town offers a quilting class (that I know of).. And being that far away with the gas prices would be difficult. So I can't really take any classes.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  08:04:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melissa- You might be surprised. I would ask your local extension agent if there are any quilting classes. Also checking out a quilting book from the library is always helpful. The first quilt I made was just 6 1/2 inch squares (I gave myself a generous seam allowance)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  08:35:24 AM  Show Profile
I highly reccomend this book, sew one and you're done. the quilt is one large block, and you don't have any small pieces to fuss with. (the smallest pieces are 6 or 9 inches, I can't remember which)
A great sense of accomplishment, and little frustration and it goes together quickly!

http://www.amazon.com/Sew-One-Youre-Done-Patchwork/dp/1564776654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219764705&sr=8-1

perhaps your library may have a copy?
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  09:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Your lucky you have a stop light I only have a stop sign and there are women who would love to teach you in my small town I would if you were here. How about an flyer put up in a grocery store or bank or what ever.

Good luck
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  12:10:11 PM  Show Profile
Alee, That is what I was going to say, ask your extension agent. Is there a 4H group in your area or yes in your county they may have some textile classes that may include quilting. There is also an yahoo oklahoma craft group that has some quilters in it, that may be close to you and could give you some lessons.

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  12:19:21 PM  Show Profile
I highly recommend taking a class from experienced quilters if at all possible. They will be able to give you some invaluable tips and tricks. You may also want to consider checking to see if there is a local quilting guild in your area. The ladies in the guild usually love teaching a new person.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  12:22:02 PM  Show Profile
The sew one and your done book is great! The pieces are big enough for a beginner and there are enough patterns to give you a nice variety.

Farmgirl #170

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  6:27:39 PM  Show Profile
My best advice is to just go for it. All of these ladies have excellent idea. Check at your local fabric shop if there are any quilters around. Most quilters love sharing their craft and some of the best quilt shows I've been to have been in a "one stop-light" town. There are oodles of quilting magazines out there for ideas or your local library should be able to get some quilting books for you. An internet source for video inspiration is www.qnntv.com. Eleanor Burns is a fabulous place to start since she explains the basics pretty good. And yes, the bigger the pieces in the blocks the easier it will be for you to begin with. But be forewarned, quilting is habit forming! Enjoy the journey!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  5:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Diana, Elenor Burns really simplifies quilt makeing. I would highly recommend her books and techniques. She has website www.quiltinaday.com She has books, fabric, etc. But I'm sure you could get some of her books at the library. The Thimbleberries books by Lynette Jensen are good also. Good luck, let us know what you do.
Warmly,
Teresa Sue

Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  7:01:43 PM  Show Profile
Melissa e-mail with an address and I will send you some pre cut squares for you first quilt.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  06:56:40 AM  Show Profile
My advice? keep it simple (as others have said). My first quilt was just over my head and it still sits unfinished, 4 years later. Don't give up on it!!! Can't wait to see pictures of your progress!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  07:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi Missy!
We did a crazy nine patch swap here oh, probably close to two years ago. The patches were quick, easy, and best of all for a rank beginner (me), they didn't need to be "perfect". No sharp meetings of the corners that had to line up "just so". I thought it was great for a first shot at a quilt. No big pressure--just cut 'n sew. The instructions are on the internet at http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2006/10/crazy_about_qui.html

Have fun!!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  9:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa:
I wish we lived closer to each other, like next door. I, too, would love to start the process of making a quilt. If you and I lived closer, we could start together and laugh, work, cut, sew, laugh again, etc... LOL
One day I'll start my quilt. I'm still in the reading stage. Getting prepared.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic First Quilt. -- Any advice? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page