Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Mother's birthday! --I need help.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mother's birthday! --I need help. Next Topic  

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  3:41:34 PM  Show Profile
Okay well my mother's birthday is Sept. 11 and I have the whole meal planned out. The main dish is glazed chicken with mashed sweet potatos and seasoned green beans with diced potatos (her favorite). The dessert is Apple-Cream Coffee Cake and of course a double stacked chocolate birthday cake. I also thought about my famous homemade bread rolls.

I am not for sure what I should glaze the chicken with. The whole family loves Honey BBQ, but I want something different! I thought about a Maple Syrup glaze but I'm not for sure about that because I have never used that glaze and I don't know how good it will be. You see I am 16 years old, and trying my hardest to plan this birthday and make it the best. She will be 40 this year.
I would just like some advice on what I should do for the glaze. I am up for anything. Also, any suggestions on another side? I am not for sure If I will do the mashed sweet potatos.. I need help.

Daughter in Distress,
Melissa

Edited by - 0missy0 on Aug 25 2008 3:42:31 PM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  3:57:00 PM  Show Profile
You could do a mix of honey, mustard (dijon), herbs, orange juice and lemon juice. Just make it so that it's thick enough to glaze. That's a good one for any meat, especially a roasting one! Your dinner sounds wonderful, and I know your mom will be sooo happy!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  4:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melissa-

Want to come cook for my birthday? That all sounds amazing!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

susanreno
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Susan
West Chester PA
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  6:51:01 PM  Show Profile
How sweet you are!!! I've used a soy sauce and maple syrup marinade/glaze before for salmon, it might work pretty well for chicken too. It's a nice combination of salty and sweet, and it would probably go really well with sweet potatoes too. Just an idea. You'll have to tell us what you end up doing. I'm sure she'll love it.
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  7:09:13 PM  Show Profile
How about a nice jar of orange marmalade??? Hit the gourmet shop and see if you can find one with the chunks of lemon/orange rind in it. Just pour that stuff right out of the jar! Or... apricot marmalade? Yummo....

Oh...and you'll need to make a lot cause we're all coming for "Mom's Birthday"!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  8:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Your a sweet and kind and thoughtful daughter! Don't forget flowers!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  07:43:33 AM  Show Profile
What a lucky mom! I agree with Starmeadow, I've used nice orange marmalade on chicken with great results, it tastes lovely and looks spectaacular. I['m sure whatever you decide on will be great. I'll have to show your post to my kids, my birthday is in July, they should be able to learn to cook by then!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  09:31:41 AM  Show Profile
Your mom will be so happy!!!! You know, I use a teryaki marinade from McCormick, and glaze chicken with that and a butter and a little brown sugar. It is really good, and easy, too.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  3:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, good for you. An amazing thing you are doing and very special. Mashed sweet potatoes sound wonderful. I suggest leaving off the extra (like brown sugar or too much butter) Sweet potatoes have such a wonderful taste all on their own don't bury it. My birthday is on the 30th if you'd like to come to SD I'd love such a meal! Good luck with the meal and just enjoy the process no matter what.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  10:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, what a sweet daughter you are! My birthday is the 12th! I'd invite myself for left-overs, but I doubt there will be any. You've been given great advice here, so you run with it, farmgirl! Be sure to tell your mom happy birthday from me!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  7:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so much for the replies! I really appreciate it!
I think I will try to do the orange marmalade. It sounds so delicious. I have also decided to do stuffed jalapenos (due to the fact my mom has been asking me to do them, and my dad and brother-inlaw love them).
I am very excited for her birthday. I can't wait to get started on this meal. Thanks again for all of your help. :)
God Bless You All!
-Melissa
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  8:26:01 PM  Show Profile
Another one (the orange marmalade sounds wonderful to me!!) too is to use a jar of hot pepper jelly for glaze on chicken (great on ribs too) just open the jar and stir up will with a fork, then brush over the chicken as it bakes...yummmmmmmmm.
Let us know how it all turns out. I hope my daughter is as thoughtful as you are when she is 16...only a little over 2 more year to go to find out. Your mom is very lucky Melissa!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  11:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Melissa,

Could you post your recipes for the rest of us? My birthday was yesterday & my family was awesome! You should be proud of yourself for doing this for a great mom, who taught you well.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  06:14:54 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I'd love to post some recipes. Which would you want? I have to be honest though, on some of my recipes I don't know the exact amount for the ingredient. Due to the fact of cooking a lot with my grandma. She never used a measurement cup. (My first batch of homemade rolls was very stressful, I never knew how much flour but they turned out delicious!!). God Bless.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Mother's birthday! --I need help. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page