CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  1:21:38 PM  Show Profile
what do you see? a river, lake, the ocean? hills and valley, mountain peaks? a dense forest? a schoolhouse with children playing on the playground? a busy highway with cars and trucks whizzing by? a peaceful garden that you have planted?

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  1:56:31 PM  Show Profile
From my window I see our 100 year + cherry tree that has pretty much lost all of its leaves. My periennal flowerbed that is slowly going to sleep for the winter. The neighborhood squirrels, busily burying nuts all over the yard - which I never can understand how they remember where they put them. The suet feeder that the flickers & blue jays love to hog. Our birdbath that is about ready to be put away for the winter and the back of my two kitties looking out the same window watching the world go by

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  2:15:22 PM  Show Profile
I see a fine misty rain falling against a backdrop of tall emerald evergreens and cedars...the darkness of which only highlights the oranges and reds of cherry leaves waiting to drop. I see my two greenhouses put to sleep for the winter and a large mowed "lawn" with all my happy chickens rushing around to find the best worm or bug while they fertilize it. Our creek has swollen now with the rain and is winding its way between the house and the field.
I also see one of this years hanging baskets that I've yet to take down...well I can't yet, it still has one little petunia blooming on the end of a three foot stem lol.
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  4:16:45 PM  Show Profile
i see woods (lots of woods) deer, wild turkey,lots of different color squirrels oh and did i mention lots of woods?lol randi in jersey.ps(ducks chickens ect.)OH and lots of autum colors.
Go to Top of Page

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  4:36:10 PM  Show Profile
I see rolling hills of wheat fields. The winter wheat has started to turn green. A large male pheasant is strutting around in our front yard, picking at some new grass seed I threw down last week. I'm glad I could provide him with such a tasty treat!
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  5:03:37 PM  Show Profile
I see the trees we have planted, grapevines, and then sagebrush range ground. In our part of the world, called the sagebrush steppe, there is sagebrush, various kinds of grass, wild floweres of all kinds, syringa bushes, wildrose bushes, wild cherries, haws, buckbrush and lots of other things. From my kitchen window I can see timbered mountains and at night the lights of a ski hill about 60 miles away. Those are the only lights I can see.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  5:58:42 PM  Show Profile
Out the big front window I see my little half circle shaped herb garden..about ready for winter and looking done. Birds (goldfinches mostly) have been snacking on the coneflower seeds and I need to go trim it all shorter..wanted to wait for the birds to be done though. In the distance..but not too far there are mountains...lots of them...it is so pretty here in our little mountain valley. Out the back window over my sewing machine I can see my hen house and my chickens and to the left one side of the big pen (corral I guess) where Mona the cow and the sheep share shelter. I love having that view of my critter friends.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  05:20:49 AM  Show Profile
Here's my view, in suburbia: from my kitchen window facing east I see, across our little private lane, the back of the neighbor's house on the next street! Against their back fence, which is 6' high, I've grown my own privacy screen: a black alder tree, a multiflora cotoneaster, black-eyed susans, raspberries, a lilac, sedum, old garden phlox rescued from a tear-down in the neighborhood. I love that little strip -- it blooms all summer, ending with wild asters blooming now in the fall.

In our yard, also facing our kitchen window, we have our beautiful white pine and an American linden, and a lovely garden with roses, catmint, daylilies, iris, the garden now almost asleep.

From our patio door/window, facing west and our back yard, we have the neighbor on the next street west. Here we have a denser screen, of alders, maples, cornelian cherry. Our deep back yard is shady, with a beautiful Japanese crab, birch trees, english ivy, pachysandra, hosta, ferns.

No mountain views here, or prairie, or fields; no cows or chickens. But it's a private lane, and our house doesn't face the front of anyone else's house, and it's quiet and lovely. No place like home.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  05:44:13 AM  Show Profile
anne .. how lovely your tree sounds ... shortly after moving here .. we had to have an ancient, wise old tree cut down because it was dying and would have fallen on the cabins and crushed them .. before we moved here .. there was another one just behind the cabins .. a huge limb fell on the roof .. and insurance-wise, the former owners were required to cut it down too .. but we are surrounded by a 'thousand acre wood' (as winnie the pooh would put it!)

don't know why .. but we don't have squirrels .. oh .. and why do you put your birdbath away .. don't you get those fiery red cardinals all winter? xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  05:45:24 AM  Show Profile
diane .. what a lovely description .. felt like i was standing at the window with you!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  05:46:28 AM  Show Profile
randi .. you are so blessed to have 'lots of woods' ... in new jersey!!! i guess i mostly think of the beaches when i think of jersey! xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  05:48:18 AM  Show Profile
kelly .. your wheat fields sound lovely .. once travelling across country .. i rode for hours and hours past wheat fields .. it was beautiful .. felt like i was in a 'sea of wheat' .. i even wrote a poem about it .. can't rmember the poem but shall never forget the glorious wheat fields! thanks for that memory! xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  05:49:51 AM  Show Profile
kennie lyn ... sagebrush .. goodness .. haven't seen that (or tumbleweed) since living out west ... and wildflowers .. is there anything lovelier? xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  05:51:10 AM  Show Profile
jenny .. you describe utah as heaven oon earth ... thanks for sharing. xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  05:52:57 AM  Show Profile
katie .. you are living proof that 'farmgirl' is really what is in our hearts .. your view sounds beautiful! nature abounds everywhere! xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  07:04:13 AM  Show Profile
Frannie -

No red cardinals in Oregon, at least not in the City. This birdbath is put away because it is a glass mosaic of a rose and I left it out one winter and it froze and then in the spring a group of teenage raccoons came and played in it and popped all of the mosaic up. Luckily I was able to re-do the design. I have another birdbath in another part of the yard that does stay out all year for the birds. Where our house was built, years ago, the whole neighborhood was a cherry orchard. So in many of the yards you see cherry trees. Ours is a Royal Anne. It is twisted and weathered, we have tried to keep it healthy, but it is slowly fading. It is so big around I can not put my arms around it. The trunk, the way it is twisted, actually provides a small ramp that winds around the tree for the squirrels to run up. The birds love it and it is close to our office window for me to look at and for the kitties to "spy" birds. It is beautiful in the spring when it blooms.

Anne

Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  07:40:19 AM  Show Profile
Frannie, I see a little of bush, a little of farmers' fields. We are about as flat as flat can be.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  08:08:06 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Right out front is my circle driveway which is goes around a large area filled with huge trees. The squirrels are always busy jumping from tree to tree or terrorizing my cats.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  08:32:56 AM  Show Profile
anne .. if your winters get cold enough .. and i reckon they do in oregon . it might also crack in the cold. your cherry tree sounds wondeful .. but as 'the good book' sez: to everything there is a season .. and perhaps your tree is just returning to nourish the earth .. meanwhile, even in it's 'elder years' .. sounds like it has a wondeful purpose for all god's critters!

xo, frannie
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  2:39:01 PM  Show Profile
Frannie, I love sagebrush. A friend made me a little watercolor of sagebrush with the verse, "...standing sturdy, freely giving of fragrance and beauty".
It smells good when it rains, and when surrounded by yarrow and balsaam root, lupines, wild garlic and onions, bluebells, and of course sego lilies, it looks like a landscapers' dream.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  11:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Sitting at our kitchen table each day, I look out over our front pasture where a half dozen Romney ewes are peacefully grazing and my daughter's little Jersey heifer, Lily May, romps about. Just beyond the pasture, cars and trucking are zooming past on the highway, but my line of vision actually falls on the hillside above, at the beautiful fall leaves intermixed with the deep green fir trees. On sunny days, the colors are extremely vivid. The past couple of days, the hills have actually disappeared in the heavy clouds that have drenched our valley in rain. We've had some wind which has almost stripped the big leaf maples in our yard, but that has provided a beautiful show in itself watching the leaves fly past our windows. I love autumn!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  4:29:16 PM  Show Profile
everyone 'paints' a wonderous picture of nature .. so varied .. so subline ... lush forest, flat earth as far as the eye can see ... hills, valleys, mountains .. animals, crops, trees and flowers ..

they each take us to city, town, countryside and woods! thanks for all the 'vacations'. frannie
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  2:36:25 PM  Show Profile
I remembered this topic from earlier and thought I would post today. We have had a ton of rain so far this winter, but today is one of the first dry days. Of course no sun, still gray outside, but as I sit and type and look out the window I see a bit of color - it is a bright blue Scrub Jay (sometimes called a blue Jay). He is dancing and prancing up our 100 year old cherry tree with a nut in his beak. He seems so happy to have found this little treasure. George is enjoying the view with me as he swishes his tail and watches the Jay. We have not had freezing temperatures since December, it has been mild, so my bulbs are starting to come up. See the irises, some daffodils and tulips starting to break the ground. I know it is too soon to go out and start pruning roses and getting ready for spring, so I must sit here and just watch. Hopefully the sun will make an appearance tomorrow.

Anne in gray Portland

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2006 :  2:56:08 PM  Show Profile
sitting here in 'ga' and 'ga-da's' room at grandson lucas' house in toledo ... out the back window .. is Swan Creek Park .. it is so beautifull .. the leaves are off the trees ... so i see the 'river running through' it and a tall leafless tree forest.

p.s.. "I" am GA
Hank is GA-DA

this is interchangeable from time to time from 4 year old lucas with:

Nana Frannie and Papa Hank

and sometimes Grammie and Grandaddy.

if you have grand children .. what do they call you? and if your kids don't have kids yet .. what do they call their 'grands'? hmmmmm .. think i'll make this a separate topic so everyone sees it and tells us their 'nick-name' from their grandchildren. xo

Wednesday and i had a wonderful whirlwind time in Columbus at the wholesale gift markets ... just got back ... gonna' take a nap .. before the 4 year old energy machine walks through the door .. he went with his dad to watch a football game with friends.

I've decided to 'hang-out' with lucas one more day before heading back home to kentucky. xo

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

McKenzie Mist
Farmgirl in Training

41 Posts

Bev
Walterville Oregon
USA
41 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  1:25:49 PM  Show Profile
This weekend I noticed that we have violets blooming under the maple tree in our front yard! I couldn't believe my eyes. It seems way too early for this but the temps. have been rather mild. We've had a few freezes since Christmas but nothing below 30 degrees. I'm also noticing bulbs starting to pop through --- spring is in the air!
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2006 :  1:57:19 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Wish I had had time to stop miz frannie. went by toledo on saturday around 11:30 on my way to MN. I met my mom in Cleveland and drove her here to MN. Guess what she found when she cleaned out my old room????? My leg warmers. 2 pairs i used to wear all the time. Hope you had a wonderous trip!
Blessings-
Beth

May you achieve your full potential to excel intellectually, to live spiritually, to lead responsibly, to act justly and to serve selflessly. Have a wonderful Holiday and a Happy New Year!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic looking out your window Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page