Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  09:13:38 AM  Show Profile
We just spent this week up at the Beyond Hope Resort, on the end of the Pend O'Reille. This area is a game preserve and the deer are totally tame. I was feeding them dried corn and had seven bucks and six doe right in our campsite. When I ran out of corn, one buck, was rather sad and came up to my lawn chair "sniffing" around. He put his nose right in my face! Anyway, he eventually dropped a big ol' puddle of drool right on my thigh! I squeeled about it and then it dawned on me that most people have probably never been slobbered on by a big ol' 5 point buck! LOL! Sadly, this area is being sold and will become luxury housing. Not sure where our sweet deer friends will go.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  09:51:13 AM  Show Profile
How funny! Sad that the area is being sold...too bad. I'm sure the deer will eat up the gardens and flowers just fine.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! That is amazing Brenda! Did you get any pictures?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  11:19:20 AM  Show Profile
Wow! That's amazing! I've always been a little afraid of bucks and didn't know they could be docile; I know a couple of people who have had them come crashing through sliding doors.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  11:21:15 AM  Show Profile
I'd love to see some pictures. What a memory!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  3:25:53 PM  Show Profile
I have a lot of pics from last year. Didn't take them this year . . . seemed sort of repetative. I will try to figure out how to post them! There is one of a deer taking a grape from my husband's mouth! Looked like they were frenching! LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  5:39:00 PM  Show Profile
That is really cool, Brenda. I've never even HEARD of anyone being drooled on by a deer much less a big buck! I'd love to see the picture of the grape feeding.

Just be careful as the rut approaches. Bucks can be extremely aggressive during that time and does can be in the spring when protecting their young. I don't want anything bad to happen to you!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  11:14:25 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I have heard they can be agressive too. I do know not to touch their antlers and was told if the antlers have lost their "Velvet" they may be more agressive too. These all still had the velvet.

The sad thing about this is that since these deer are totally tamed and depend on people (and gardens . . .) for food, if they leave this area and wander too far, they are easy prey for hunters . . . they don't have the normal fear that they should have and would probably walk right up to the hunter. Even though they are deer, they are kind of "sitting duck."

But I do so enjoy them. We had names for several of the "repeats" that we came to recognize. One, extremely pushy doe, we named "Sharon" because we know a Sharon that has no sense of boundaries. LOL!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Buck Slobber . . . Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page