Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  9:03:42 PM  Show Profile
The one walk in life I would like to stay a steady path on, would be to remember this :

"Give the benefit of grace to everyone we encounter, as we perhaps do not know what they are going through in that moment"

Everyone can remember a time when a smile, kind word or having someone to listen made a difference in their life.

I was at the ER for a family incident recently. Every bed in the ER was filled --- most people were lucky to get a chair in the hall or a temporary bed lined up in the hall like planes ready for take off. The waiting room was full as well. The hospital staff were wonderful in trying to cover everyone's needs in an almost impossible situation.

A young father was with his baby seeking help as the infant had a fever and was not eating. The father was very young, alone, and doing the best he could.

Down the hall in one of the holding beds, I could hear people, even with their problems, eager to point out what he was doing wrong, or give suggestions of how they would handle the situation --- some with an intensity that being right was more important that being compassionate.

No one said "it's easy to see how much you love your child. you must be going through so much right now. what can I do to help?"

Then a woman came forward, with her own sorrow going on at the time, to say "Hi, my name is Wendy. I have been there with a sick child, too. Everything is going to be alright. You are doing great".

A simple act --- but it created the moment of grace the young father needed.

No suggestions as to how the young father in her opinion was wrong.

Just grace.

Pure and simple.

How has someone touched your life in a simple act?

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts

Edited by - Aunt Clemys Farm Girl on Aug 23 2008 9:16:51 PM

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:46:16 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope that young daddy and his baby are doing better now. With the tropical storm we have been in the last couple of days, I have seen and heard people being kind and gracious to each other. Folks out walking in the rain, and viewing trees down and power out, were waving to each other, and offering help. Families opened their homes to others who had trees on their roof....grace and compassion are really gifts....

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  02:51:06 AM  Show Profile
Beautiful story!

My story is long but will keep it short.

My life has not been easy, far from it. But I was touched by my Earth Angel Agnes. She and I met when I came to live here just over a year ago and we became very good friends in that year. She helped, and is still helping me, with getting over my past and letting me see God is here for me too.Of course I know He is, but just hearing it now and then helps!
She listens, talks and let's me cry. BUT also lets me laugh, have fun and do goofy things.
She really IS my Earth Angel!!

Hugs

(Only Elvis is a black kitten :) )

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9372 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9372 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  04:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Wouldn't it be great if we could all be as compassionate all the time as we are during times like storms and such when we get out and talk to people whom we normally don't even see. We hardly ever see our neighbors, but one night I looked out the window and saw a fire next door so I called to see what was going on and the woman was home alone and she wasn't even aware of anything. It ended up that her husband's partner, they have a building business, had tossed a used paint can into the dumpster and of course spontaneous combustion took place. The fire was in the dumpster but it was going high and scorched a few trees. You couldn't tell that's what it was until you got out there but we called the fire dept and they took care of it. I see her when she comes into where I work but we never see each other at home. It's to bad. Guess everyone is busy these days. No more talking over the clothesline so to speak.
These are two beautiful stories by the way.
I had someone who was very much like your Agnes when I first started learning about and seeing God in my life. Unfortunately, I have always been able to see how compassionate others are but I've never really practiced it in my own life. I think we have a tendency to be less compassionate within our own families than we are with other people. It is something I need to learn to do and be too!

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Linda, Thank you for sharing. Our world is so fast paced that we often forget to show compassion. This last year with all that I have gone though compassion has hit me in the face- I learned that I should have more of it for others. Who knows what others are going through- why should I judge. If they are going through anything like I was- then they deserve a hug!
Theresa from here on the forum lives about 20 minutes or so from me. We have only gotten together a few times in person.. but back in September when things were pretty much very, very low for me. She gave me a call. We talked for over an hour and she so encouraged me. I held onto the things she said all year as things at times were not much better. In the spring I got to meet her in person for the first time and she gave me a hug and I so desperately needed that hug! I hadn't seen my family in about 7 months or more- so I hadn't had a hug for soooo long. She rejuvenated me.
It is strange that we only really knew eachother from email- our visits were always short in person but I feel like I have known her for so long. She helped me to get through all of this in a strange place. She made me feel at home. She is moving to Montana and when I found out I cried all day long. I was happy for her and her family for this wonderful opportunity but sad that she wouldn't be so close anymore. She showed me compassion that not even my family could show me. I will forever be grateful to her for that.

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:29:11 PM  Show Profile
Linda:
Your posting brought forth several beautiful memories for me. I thank you for that. In 2005, my husband and I, loss 90% of everything we had acquired in our 30 years of marriage. We learned how to roll up our sleeves and do what had to be done. Gripping was useless, we had to get on with life. Anyway, I saw an elderly lady a few days after mowing her own yard. I stopped the car to help her. She grinned, thanked me, and asked if I'd sit on her porch and take-turns when she got tired. I agreed. I'd try to take more of a turn when it was my turn to mow. She caught on fast. Then she said to me, something like this: After the storm comes the sunshine and blue skies, and I want to be able to hold up my head and say, yes God, thanks for giving me the strength to get through it once again.
I hope this explanation was understandable, I am just so overwhelmed remember it, I can't see through my tears.
Thanks, again, for the posting.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:30:53 PM  Show Profile
Linda:
I forgot to say what the lady said at the end.
She put her hand on my shoulders, and said, "These too shall pass."
How true she was in all of her wisdom.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  1:14:01 PM  Show Profile
Some-odd months ago I was going through a very rough time. A few people who knew about it were totally uncaring; one was even quite cruel in her attitude. Suddenly, I got a gentle, compassionate but short email from PhilsAnn, a FarmGirl. Since then, we've been emailing fairly regularly, she's shared a book with me (sent it to me as a gift) that has been such a blessing, and we've had some wonderful "conversations" about spiritual issues, life, etc. She has her own serious health issues to contend with yet is one of the most Godly, compassionate people I've ever known. She is grace personified, and I thank God for her every day!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please email me for all your BeautiControl needs!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic But For the Grace of God Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page