Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 what is your biggest splurge on yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what is your biggest splurge on yarn? Next Topic
Page: of 5

karla kay
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Karla
Lewistown MT
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  10:16:40 AM  Show Profile
My biggest splurge on yarn is sock yarn. I love to knit socks. I am also a spinner and that has become another splurge. I love wool. Raw wool, roving, dyed wool, curly locks. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Karla
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  11:12:35 AM  Show Profile
LOL Deep end!!
I'm going to see if I can master the drop spindle first off.
It sounds like it's a "given" that a wheel will be quickly on the heels of that.
May as well be ready for it. ;)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  12:11:11 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, I think the thing about spinning is that once you start on a drop spindle and like it, then you start thinking of all the things you could knit with your hand spun yarn and it does take a while on a spindle so I think the natural progression is a wheel! At least for me! Grace carries a really good book called Spin It at her shop. I got a copy when I started and it has a lot of very helpful info in it for using a drop spindle.

Karla, are you new to MJF? If so welcome!

Monica
farmgirls rule!
www.jsutducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Sep 05 2008 1:03:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  3:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
grace i just sent you an email. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  7:20:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, Thanks so much Connie - Hugs from the running noise goatgal.

I with you Sarita, my oldest son just left - we spent the day fixing fence for the winter and also winterizing the chicken coop. He is on his way to teach rock climbing tomorrow so I will quickly answer emails, pull orders and then on the couch for a good Inspector Morse Movie. I will be think of you and thanks for the kind words.

Bonnie the Babe is wonderful and it is funky... I love spinning on it. I love teaching drop spinning and I still can spin quite a ton of yarn quickly on a spindal - I love having that skill because no matter where I am I can be making yarn and be a show off at the same time... Just kidding! You bet as soon as I am not worried about getting others sick you can come out or we can meet in between and that sweetheart can be yours or any other goodie I have to tempt you with. I can also offer several drop spindals, books, I even have a video rental program on all types of fiber arts subjects. Never fear I am here to get folks just as hooked as I am...

Monica, you talk things over with your hubby and ask more questions I am here to help. I am excited to see how the silk is going and I am sure you are enjoying every moment. As for which wheel make thin, perfect yarn - it is you not the wheel. You can give me any wheel and the same yarn can be produced (except for really way out bulky yarns - that then depends on the size of the orifce) Sounds like you have a good plan with your friends store and can not wait to hear more.

Well, it is off to the couch and that movie, cup of tea in hand and my cotton hankies - drip, drip, drip.. Night all - sweatpeas.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  7:45:41 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am still praying for you and I will e-mail you and send some pics of the silk and some new ones of Bam Bam! I really like the Fricke!!

Bonne, Grace has tons of tempting goodies!!!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  7:57:47 PM  Show Profile
I think Grace just sold 2 wheels~LOL

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  8:33:48 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, I think so too!!! Except I am going to have to save up quick for mine! Hubby thinks I have enough fabric, yarn, etc.. So I am on my own buying a wheel!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  8:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, now that man will need to be re-educated.
It's actually written in stone somewhere,
that you can NEVER have enough fabric & yarn.
"When momma is happy~everyone in the family is happy"
Obviously he slept through that class. rofl

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  9:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, Actually my hubby is the coolest!!!! He has gotten me a serger and a pleater for my birthday and has also let me get 3 other sewing machines and I also have 3 more that were free including one in a cabinet that I just got from a friend of mine! On top of that half of our front room is my sewing area and I have 2 big old desks, one for cutting and the other for sewing! That doesn't include the 6 storage boxes of fabric or the 12 small boxes and the fabric on bolts in my bedroom. I have yarn in the storage bench in my bedroom and now I have wool all over! So his comment is "where are you going to put it"! I think I am going to sort through some of my fabric and maybe list some on etsy. I have to say that years ago we lived in a converted bus and I had a lot of fabric and not much storage so I laid it out very neatly between the mattress and box spring! about 6 inches thick! One day I came home from the market and we had a leak in our water tank ,which was under the bed!!!!! As I walked into the bus I worried about what state my fabric would be in, and here he had rolled it up in one very large, very neat roll and stood it in the corner! So I can't complain at all! He really the coolest and it will be cool to earn the $ myself!
Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  07:22:21 AM  Show Profile
Monica, you better hang on to that sweet hubby. My guy of 38 years sounds a whole lot like him. He spoils me rotten. He encourages me and even enables me. He buys me things and if it was myself buying the items...they would be lots cheaper than what he ends up paying for them. I learned a long time ago, if he wants something, I work a little over time or save more to help him buy it...and when he is ready to buy the cheaper, not quite what he wants but will make do, I encourage him to wait and get what he wants and not just make do. (He loves tools and woodworking equipment)I end up reaping the benefits. He has built me so many things for our home and even spinning wheels, triangle looms, and warping frames. It is a win win situation! I tell him every day that the Lord has blessed me with the best hard working man.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  08:45:59 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, My husband also does woodworking! He has done some beautiful pieces! I know what you're talking about! One year I bought him cordless drill motor for Father's Day because I knew he wouldn't buy it himself, but needed it! Right now he really has no work space, but his boss has a huge barn and they are talking about using that for a workshop! He has even offered to make me a spinning wheel! We have been together almost 10 years and trust me I am hanging on to him! He is my guy!!!
Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  10:09:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh, my Sarita! Made your wheel? My hubs loves tools and woodworking too. Spends his vacation time working on things in his garage/man cave.
Too bad we are all so scattered about~would love to have a BBQ and chat. LOL
Monica, you may wind up with a "family" of wheels! whoo hoo! No, you can't complain. ;)

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  12:19:11 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I have been avoiding this but a few times I have spent as much as 400.00 on crochet thread at one time. It was always clearance items and was worth about 2000.00+ retail each time it was 75 % off or more ok I just made you all feel better about your purchases

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store vintage threadshttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=79144
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  4:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine, Whew, I subsucked so hard I got choked....you win...give the gal the prize, I bet you had to find some new storage space after that...you are right, I feel so much better, I think I will buy some more sheep! HEE HEE

Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  4:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Yes, Sarita, I'm giving you the "go ahead" to buy more sheep.
Since I don't have land, I'll just live vicariously through you. LOL

Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  7:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Bonne, when you are living vicariously through me...does that mean that you will be helping me pay for more hay and feed? oh well, Thanks for letting me get comfortable with the idea for a while before reality set in.
Sunshine, how many boxes or sacks of crochet thread did you walk out with? 75% off???

Go to Top of Page

Janneane Hazlip
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Janneane
Fort Scott Kansas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  7:57:18 PM  Show Profile
I just tell my sweetie that it's cheaper than therapy, and busy hands keep us sane! Ha
Janneane
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  8:30:14 PM  Show Profile
Couldn't have said it better, Janneane!

hay, feed, shots, worming, vet bills, hmmmmm......Sarita, sounds like when we try and talk my FIL into selling his horses. Those are all the things we impress upon him that he'd be free of.......doesn't work though...they're "his children", he says. lol

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  10:01:41 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
grace i will try to put yoru package in the mail tomrrow if i get to town. hoep it helps!
sunshien you get the prize! i thought spending $25 on yarn a couple weeks ago to be a huge splurge lol. heck i gotta partially retrain my hubby! we spend alot on "toys" for hunting, fishing and camping but so far not any extrememly large expendature on my personal hobbies. i am supposed to be putting a new table loom on layaway if i can ever get to town when she is open but that will take a while to get. i am hoping that hubby will get it for me for christmas lol. maybe when he sees that my "toys" will make usefull things he will be a bit better about them. tho i must say when i truly want something he will move heaven and earth to get it for me. usually its me that backs down and says "its ok i dont need it...." when it comes to guns or other gear i am the one who says "get it and dont skimp and get something less than you need or want!" but then those are things for the family not just for my fun lol. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  08:37:03 AM  Show Profile
Bonne, I put pictures of Bam Bam and my yarn on the Wool thread!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what is your biggest splurge on yarn? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page