Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 what is your biggest splurge on yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what is your biggest splurge on yarn? Next Topic
Page: of 5

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  5:11:49 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
grace i think i will need to get something the same as i have since i am half way thru the project! guess i will order from anchorage *sigh* dan git! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  5:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Grace,
I would love to carpool with someone, but I don't know if I could find anyone in my town that would want to go! I am going to see if one of my friend wants to go, but she lives 20 miles kind of the other way. If she wants to go I could meet at her place and it's still 30 miles to the shop, but it's a much straighter road!!!
I hope things settle down for you as it sounds like it has been one thing after another!
Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  5:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I sent you an e-mail!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  10:23:12 AM  Show Profile
does anyone have pictures of their splurges or what they have made out of it! It would be fun to see pics of what we are all talking about! Grace I love the name of your new yellow yarn and it's very pretty! It's definitely a ducky color!
Monica
Farmgirls Rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  12:51:53 PM  Show Profile
You can ck my blog for yarn-y pics~not so much "splurgy" yarns, but yarn nonetheless~lol ;)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
monika i havent recieved it (unless i answered and forgot!) lol peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  3:26:00 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I sent it to you again. Let me know if you get it!
Monica
Farmgirls Rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  10:57:23 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
monica, got the lap qulting page, thank you! having trouble printing it out. it wants to print 1/4 pages instead of an entire page *sigh* will work on it some more. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  11:35:57 AM  Show Profile
Been lurking on this post so far but have to agree with Grace regarding prices of raising sheep, processing wool, shearing, etc. that add to the prices I have to ask for my "splurge" yarns. They really aren't really splurgy inasfar as they aren't exotic animals, just my sheepers, nor chenille or suede or full of "eyelashes", etc., just very nice wool yarn, but I am forced to ask a lot for it due to the costs involved and that never includes my labor of skirting, mailing, dyeing, labeling and marketing the yarns. Just the 'hard' costs. I just can't compete with the "biggie" companies and really the small yarn business I have is more a labor of love than a money-maker. I surely couldn't support myself on what I sell, although this is a sideline business for me in addition to the paying job so I don't put as much time into marketing as I should or could. I just love that you gals are buying splurge yarns! It means the natural fibers and fun stuff about it means something to you and that is a very good thing!
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
http://woolyinwashington.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  3:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Jami, I started spinning my own yarn last month and it kind of gives you a whole new perspective. The one thing I have come to realize is that it's easy to walk into Walmart and buy an 8oz. skein for 3.00 or so as opposed to the fact that I just paid 33.00 for 1 lb. of merino wool, but there ends up being no comparison. The yarn from Walmart is usually polyester and made in China and I think we really ought to continue and increase buying items made here and not overseas. I have also found that you always get what you pay for so if it's cheap, it's cheap! So much of the "splurge" yarn is of such a beautiful quality that it is well worth the price! Thank you for all your hard work! It is greatly appreciated!
Monica
Farmgirls Rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  11:37:09 AM  Show Profile
Jami, I agree with you. Yes, I spend alots of money on my sheep and keeping them and cleaning and preparing the wool to spin and even to send part of the wool for a mill to process it but I know that I never put any chemicals on my sheep and when I process it here, I know the wool is never subjected to chemicals. I always talk to the mill to see what they will be putting on my wool too.
I also get that warm homey feel when I am hand carding and spinning or knitting or weaving of an evening listening to music or the radio. (Just Keeping the Past.) This may sound werid to some people but I want to slow this world down...come home to a cozy home. Let my mind rest and relax. I think the only control I have in slowing things down is to come home and do as much with my own hands as I can. I agree fully with buying from our neighbors, helping each other out. I also believe if the Good Lord blessed me with too much, then share...
Grandma always took time to teach me how to cook, clean, handwork, sew, gardenwork, gather eggs, feed the animals, make soap, render lard, pick wild greens because she often told me, you never know when the bottom will drop out of the economy and bad times will befall you but if you know enough of the old ways you and your family will survive.
Also I spend many peaceful evenings in the barnlot with the sheep until after the beautiful sun sets in the west. I sit on a 5 gallon bucket turned upside down and praise God for all of the blessings and the sheep gather around wanting to be petted. They too appear to be relaxed and happy with their lives and the love I give them. They don't even seem to mind when I pull up my pants leg and show them the new pair of socks I just finished knitting from their wool. They just take their noses and push my hand as if to say: Sure Lady, nice socks, how about scratching here under my chin! Can you get the same warm fuzzy's from the department store skein of yarn?

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  11:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
great wy to look at it. sometimes doing what is "right" does cost more. i raise my own beef and chickens and it really isnt cost efficent but i know that what they eat is "clean" and i do so enjoy just standing and watching them grow. such a peaceful feeling. you truly cannot put a price tag on it. not to mention that those of us who try not to be dependant on "store bought" will be much better off in the long run when the economy totally falls apart.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  4:33:38 PM  Show Profile
That was beautifully put, Sarita!! ;)

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  8:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Sarita, I will be honest, I am a huge nascar racing fan, but that is the only thing I like fast! I started spinning on a drop spindle about a month ago and it really is so wonderful. I am hoping to get a spinning wheel so I can spin enough to make my girls sweaters for christmas, but that is as fast as I want to go with spinning. What you have said about slowing this world down doesn't sound weird at all! It sounds lovely and maybe necessary sometimes! God is so good isn't He!
Monica
Farmgirls Rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Aug 31 2008 9:40:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  9:03:25 PM  Show Profile
Monica, I hope you can get your spinning wheel and make those girls some real special sweaters for Christmas. Hey, Monica, God is Great!
I also like Nascar racing...just can't watch for very long...my guy has been leading all day and has the lead back....I can get really excited but tonight my heart is with the people down south being hit by another hurricane, makes the race seem so unimportant doesn't it. I think you know what was in my prayers tonight as I watched the sun set.
My husband just told me that J. Johnson won! WhoaWho

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile
It's kind of interesting how nowadays one must splurge for local and go "on the cheap" for imported goods at discount stores...used to be the opposite back in the pioneer woman's day when local was cheap and long distance goods were the big splurge. I choose my splurges carefully because I certainly can't afford to splurge on everything.

I think what you mentioned is so true...when we have everything ready-made on a store shelf, it's hard to know the process of getting those goods made. The super nice thing about yarns and splurge yarns is that if you can learn to spin, there are rovings of every type out there to make your own at a much cheaper cost than ready-made yarns and tons of books about learning to make specialty yarns with texture. At the end of the month I'm giving a dyeing workshop at a retreat for how to make self-striping sock yarn. I thought it was silly at first when they asked me...like "anyone" can do it..why do they need me? But that's my farmgirl mentality speaking. Maybe once this group of knitters see what goes into just the dyeing process alone, they will buy out the inventory I'm taking! I can only hope.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  07:29:38 AM  Show Profile
Sarita, I know this is off subject of yarn, but Jimmie is my favorite and I know exactly what you mean about seeming unimportant! I must say for me it was a much needed bright spot that day! I had gone to the market after church with my son and he was being a handful. It seemed to take forever to get the little bit of shopping done, I was having trouble with my Jeep, I hurt my foot and I was very concerned about everyone in the south so the win was nice to have on an otherwise otherwise rough day! God is Great!!!!
Jami, I wish I still lived in Washington because I would come and learn how to dye yarn! I used to live outside of Kenniwick and I have been through Ellensburg many times! I always liked it there! I still miss it! I hope your workshop goes well and that you sell all your yarn!

Monica
Farmgirls Rule!
www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Jami
True Blue Farmgirl

1238 Posts

Jami
Ellensburg WA
USA
1238 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  07:42:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Monica. Too bad we didn't meet before you left the Tri-Cities but I bet you're warmer than I am today! It's a tad bit nippy here for a summer day--fall is in the air. I love to "mess" with wool so a farmgirl friend who wants to come and play any time is welcome. I keep wanting to have a farm-day workshop but can't count on the wind not blowing 50 mph to hamper it all.
Jami in WA

Farmgirl Sister #266
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile
Jami, I would take the cooler weather to be honest with you although it's cool here today. I almost get bummed out when I see how many ladies are from Washington because so far I have only found one other farmgirl from Arizona and she lives 6-7 hours away from me!
Monica
Farmgirls Rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  8:03:20 PM  Show Profile
Will you gals that spin and sell your yarn please put a link to your "for sale" goodies in your siggie?
We'd all(at least I would) love to see what you have and also have a chance to purchase from a farmgal. ;)

Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  09:23:52 AM  Show Profile
Bonne, I will be listing some on my etsy site as soon as I get enough spun! I am hoping to get a spinning wheel soon! The bad thing about spinning is that some of them come out so pretty that they are hard to part with!!!
Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Like sending your children out for adoption. LOL

Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  11:03:39 AM  Show Profile
I always liked yarn/fiber from local animals, simply because i like to support hardworking farmers, and supporting my local economy. (Plus, fiber with a "name" - the name of the animal - is too cool!). But then i started reading and really understanding how horrible "cheap" yarn is for the environment. Cheap cashmere is causing desertification, there is a HORRIBLE practice called mulesing, done to some merino sheep in australia (do not look at pictures when you google this, unless you have a tough stomach), basically....i had to, for my own piece of mind, buy only from local farms, recycle thrift store sweaters, and spin my own. I don't regret it at all!!! :)

Some links to resources:
http://thenaturaldyestudio.blogspot.com/2008/03/cotton-cashmere-and-why-i-dont-sell-it.html
http://greenknitter.com/index.html
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  11:23:24 AM  Show Profile
I once paid $23 a skein for self-striping yarn to make birthday socks for my daughter when the self-striping stuff first came out. She loved em!!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  12:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Exactly Bonne!!

Maggie, Thank you for the info! I never thought of that and it does matter to me!

Monica
farmgirls rule

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what is your biggest splurge on yarn? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page