Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 what is your biggest splurge on yarn?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what is your biggest splurge on yarn? Next Topic
Page: of 5

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  8:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i was in anchorage and found a wonderful little yarn shop. never in my life have i ome anywhere near paying so much for a skien of yarn but i coulndt resist this bulky baby alpaca yarn! it is the softest stuff! i cringed while paying $14.95 for a skein of it but had to have it!! has anyone worked with it? is it as warm as it is soft? i think i will make a neck warmer as i could only get one skein. i would have lked to make socks out of it but the girl said it would take 2-3 skeins! i think $45 socks would probably not be the way to start learnign to knit socks! i am afraid that my tastes are running way beyond my pocketbook!lol peace connie in alaska

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  9:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I haven't ever spent much on yarn, but now that I have started spinning my trouble is that there is so much cool stuff to spin!! Right now I am avoiding Grace's etsy shop so I don't get into trouble with my husband! My biggest splurge was 16.00 for 2 packs of wooly locks from Grace, but as you said had to have it!

Monica
Farmgirls Rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  9:59:29 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
lol i sooo understand! the most expensive yarn i have ever bought was $3 or $4 a skien! its kinda lile with beading, when i started it was cheap stuff then i got to where i didnt want to put so much work into garbage! did the same thing with sewing lol. i am also afraid to get very much into the spinning and weaving because i already have $$ signs clouding my vision! lol why do i have to have imported champagne tastes and a hand drawn well water pocket book?? where is my fairy god mother! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh I have spent plenty on special yarn before. I try not to do it very often..but if I have money that is all mine (birthday or Christmas money) that I wont' feel guilty about spending that way..I do LOVE to hit the yarn shop up north and get something special. I think they most I have spent on yarn for one pair of socks (they were for ME) was $24. But I have done that more than once.
But I don't have alot of other vices, right???

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:31:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I can make you all feel better. Last summer I signed up to take a lace shawl class in Spokane at a great shop up there. The class was only $20 so I knew there had to be a catch. I sent my daughter(who lives up there) to the shop to check out the project. It was beautiful, of course, and made out of some REALLY $$$ yarn. But...you didn't have to use that particular yarn. Anything the right gauge would work. I shopped around and shopped around and the day of the class I bought the expensive yarn to make the shawl. It's a luscious silk/mohair laceweight blend and it was $46/skein. The shawl took 2 skeins. The shawl is finished and the yarn drapes beautifully so I guess it was worth the splurge. Until that day I thought sock yarn was spendy and I love to make socks. The most I've ever spent for sock yarn was $28 for skein of handspun, handdyed merino. At least that will make both socks with a little to spare.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  04:13:30 AM  Show Profile
Connie lets put this in perspective...$14.95 for yarn...$$$$ for a gun and ammo. I knit, spin and just bought a new rifle and will need ammo. I have to laugh at myself when I tell myself "no" for a yarn purchase (the most I've spent on a skein of yarn is $25 for sock yarn). But,I didn't blink an eye when I walked up to the counter at the gun shop and dropped a few hundred dollars for the new rifle.

Do I get pleasure out of knitting yes, so why shouldn't I treat myself to some luxury yarn ever now and then. Knitting and spinning are probably my cheapest hobbies. I can tell this hunting hobby is going to get expensive, especially if I keep taking hubby with me to the gun shop. He definitely loves his guy toys.

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  05:57:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Donna....yummy...and if it gives you joy!!! My friend puts pricey things in a math perspective...she'll price stuff out per wear for example. That blouse that you just spent $36 on? You think you might wear it 3x a month? Well hey that's only $1 every time you wear it!!!! OK, so if the math doesn't get at you, here's her other perspective...does it give you joy to use it/wear it/look at it???? Can't put a price on joy. She talked me into buying a tea for one set many years ago. A little out of my price range for something so frivolous (in my head) but I've used it and it IS lovely. Her take, does it make you smile when you look at it or use it...why...YES IT DOES! And, I bought it when I was particularly down in the dumps so it also reminds me of how far I've come!

So...OK, I haven't spent $46 on a skein of yarn BUT I did spend it on a bunch of wool for a purse that is STILL in my UFO pile. (SHAME on me!)

Connie...send me your addy and I'll send you a surprise! (and no, it won't be my UFO pile....)
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  06:58:08 AM  Show Profile
Donna, hasn't the price of ammo gone sky high? Oh, well, a gun without ammo is just an expensive club.

Connie , The nicest yarn I ever got was alpaca handspun by a friend that I obtained via trade with her. It's lightweight, soft and so warm~I way prefer it over sheep's wool when it comes to animal fibers. I think you'll love it. Do you ever surf Smiley's Yarns? For a large stockup purchase they have some great prices overall.($40 min.~flat rate ship)

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:10:13 AM  Show Profile
I barter for most of my yarn but I love cider moon handpainted sock yarn though I don't think it is $25 a skien.. could be wrong though. It is definitely close to $20 if I remember.. but the socks are gorgeous.
Some yarn you would think would be more expensive. I have a favorite yarn that I love using in shawls. It is by queensland yarn and named Katmandu. It is merino wool/silk and cashmere. And the drape is gorgeous and it is so soft. If you go to here http://www.woolieacres.net/2007/12/susans-shawl-is-done.html you can see the shawl made out of this yarn. It is less than $6 a skien if I find it on ebay. And it takes about 6 skiens to make the whole shawl.. Jeff got me some in pink for my bday that I am anxious to weave myself a shawl with.
I also spin so that helps the cost of yarn.

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
donna i know so well how pricey guns and ammo can be! be prepared for the price of ammmo to skyrocket after the elections because if they cant take our guns then they will price ammo out of the range of most people! the most pricey gun i have is my cz 9mm 30th anniversary edition. i about fell over when hubby put it on lay away for me! i carry it daily and as you (and others) have said, if it give you joy then its worth it! hav e you or others ever thought of handloading ammmo? hubby has just gotten set up for it and tho the initial cost is huge the end result is to save big bucks!
bonne i rarely even look at internet sales for anything if i can possibly buy it local becasue of shipping. if for soem reason i have to return soemthign i can lose hundreds that way! the last item we mail ordered was over $100 in sihipping alone and we had to return it because it was defective! they are suppose to give us half the shipping back butu tat remains to be seen as i have yet to see the refund of the purchase price!marcia iam sure that shawl is yummy! it better be at that price huh? lol.
have any of you spinners tried the soy silks or bamboo? they just feel too lucious! i would also like to try knititing with qiviot (sp?) but lord i just cant go there at over $50 (lots over i think!) a skien! and it being such a fine thread it takes tons to make anything!
peace connie in alaska
p.s. you ladies need to watch buying ammo at walmart! they are now sending your information and your purchase info directly to homeland security!! i have a bit of a problem with that! most of the walmarts are now also video taping your purchases!!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:17:17 AM  Show Profile
I can easily spend $20.00 on a skein and not use it (just check my stash)...it's an obsessive thing where it's like I feel like it might not be there when I return, and I'm so in love with color and texture that I can't just leave the poor thing, there, in the yarn shop!!! Usually, it's hand painted from Peru--alpaca, or something interesting. Now you know why I limit my visits to my favorite yarn store!!!

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
how do you ladies explain your stash to hubbys? mine just doesnt understand that while i may not be using it this minute i will in the future! he is usually ok with it as long as i dont have anything pricey waiting in line. lol.
bonne i just looked at that smileys yarns! boy oh boy could i get into troule there! lol
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:56:34 AM  Show Profile
He knows how much joy it brings me to knit or weave so he doesn't say too much. Usually for a gift giving holiday he will give me a certain amount of money and I can get whatever I want- then he can't say anything- it was what I wanted, right??

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  08:00:45 AM  Show Profile
Mine is always supportive, because a)he doesn't know how much they cost and b) I don't have any other "vices"...I'm not a shoe shopper, or clothes horse and I don't spend money on myself otherwise. Plus he always gets a hat or a scarf out of the deal, so what's there to complain about :) ?

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  08:22:59 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
jonni and debra i love the way you think! lol peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  11:12:44 AM  Show Profile
You aren't snorting coke~that's how I justify big stashes. LOL
(I'm worried about our 2nd ammendment rights too Connie)

Smiley's has a flat shipping rate of 12.95 for all you can order, but it's continental US only.
Does that mean the north american continent (excludes Hawaii) or just the lower 48 I wonder.
So many of their yarns you can see in a store so you'd know what you were getting. I've never been disappointed with anything I've ordered from them though.

Edited by - Bonne on Aug 24 2008 11:18:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  11:32:24 AM  Show Profile
Dang it Connie!! Now you have me browsing Smileys!! (like it's YOUR fault~LOL)
I'm seeing too many things I MUST try.

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  11:39:05 AM  Show Profile
I don't really need to explain (or justify) my yarn or fabric purchases to my DH. He usually outspends me by alot. He has some expensive hobbies...snowmobiling, fishing, hunting. At least I work one day a week in a quilt shop...I work for fabric. Seriously.

Still 2 skeins of $46/skein yarn was steep, I admit. But then how often do I do that? Never. I do buy yarn online at Elann.com. That's a great discount place with beautiful yarns. I also have ordered from Knitpicks. Online is not my favorite way though. I really need to feel the fiber.

If knitting, crocheting and quilting help me maintain my sanity it's much cheaper than a shrink.

Marcia

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:25:18 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
marcia, my hubby also has those same expensive hobbies, but then they are also mine! he needs to find a new expensive hobby that i dont join in on so that i can bu more "fun" things lol.
bonne, i have often been acused of causing things liek that! the best oen i was ever accused of thowas iwth a dear friend in ga. she called me one day and said in way of greeting "d** you connie! its all your fault!" i about fell over laughing when i was told that it was my fault she was pg! i "wished" it on her! lmbo! i told her it was pretty nifty trick since i coulnst get myself pg!!
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
bonne that shipping is just to the lower 48 *sigh* once again we arent par tof the usnited states except for laws and taxes! grrrr. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  11:38:03 AM  Show Profile
Connie I have heard that from many folks about being left out if you are in Alaska. The most expensive yarn I purchased was $78.00 for a skein of Artic silver Fox that was spun with beads and a Cashmere base. It was too too...

I have sold yarn also for that amount and then some but those are considered art yarns and they are sold to artists to finished project ends up selling in the thousands. I love my Quivat and that usually goes for about 48.00 per skein but again when I make childrens clothes out of that the hat sells for around $150.00. It is all about what you do with those dollars.

Keep those stashs growing and it is O.K. to stop in my shop - I have a great new yarn from my alpaca baby boys "Water Cabbage" it is I think one of the softest alpaca yarn you will find and at a great price - sure to keep you husband happy.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  11:45:01 AM  Show Profile
alpaca
People can have their cashmeres and silks.....alpaca is #1 on my wish list. ;)

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  1:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
grace the next time i am in the market for baby alpaca you definately have my business!! even with shipping its so much more affordable! you stuff is beautiful! i am making a neck warmer out of what i have and if i didnt have to take it out so much i would lareayd e finished! for soem danged reason my brain just wotn stay focused on what i am doign and i lose track too often *sigh* a few years ago my brain actually worked but now its missing too often! *sob* is ther any difference between the "dale of morawy" wools and other wool yarns of the same type? how do i know the difference? hubby wats a sweater that is extremely wamr especially across the back of the shoulders. we know that "dale of norway" is very warm since i wear mine most of the winter (yes at 40 below!) without any coat! i just have so much to learn that i wonder if i should just buy him one ready made??
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  1:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
grace that is a great price for quivat! and what i wouldnt give to feel that arctic fox! i bet its lucious! i tend to either give away or keep what i make. i havent ever had much luck selling anything because i do my best work for someone i care about. years ago i did do a ew pagent dresses (childrens) and sold them but yikes you just cant get aywhere near their worth! when i made my nephews christening dress with acesories i was told i should sell them but who is gonna pay $800 or more for a christening dress even if it is hand sewn and hand embroidered? i was going to try to sell my beaded jewelry but dont have a local outlet. maybe i will look into setting up an etsy shop! oh let me know if you make some baby alpaca in a deep green or red ok? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  2:51:23 PM  Show Profile
It's a tough go to sell your crafts. Been there done that. Now I just do it for the fun and sanity it gives me~never make a living.
Connie, I'd go ahead and buy hubby a sweater ~you can work on one over the fall/winter w/o pressure to finish it, and he can always use 2 or more.
I'm thinking about taking up alpaca rustling~if I could find Grace's farm.....but I hear they hang rustlers. ROFL

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  3:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
shhhh, bonne, dont let grace hear you say that! we dont want to get hung! lol *whispering* i will help you with the rustling and you can help me with the spinning. sound fair to you? maybe we wont take all of them, just to be fair ya know? *wink* peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic what is your biggest splurge on yarn? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page