Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 National Apron / Tie One On Day is Nov 26th
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic National Apron / Tie One On Day is Nov 26th Next Topic  

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  12:19:02 PM  Show Profile
This sounds like a worthwhile to mark on your calendar :

From Apron Chronicles : National Tie One On Day - November 26,2008

http://www.apronmemories.com/news/tie-one-on-day.html

National Tie One On Day celebrates the humble apron and the spirit of women of earlier generations who donned the universal symbol of home, family and mothering as the uniform of their daily wardrobe and helped make America the great country it is today.

On the day before Thanksgiving, EllynAnne encourages us to pause in the preparation of our own meal, wrap a loaf of bread in an apron, tuck a prayer or note of encouragement in the pocket, and tie one on...an apron, of course!, and deliver the wrapped bundle to someone in need of spiritual or physical sustenance.

According to EllynAnne, no matter which way you turn out of your own front door, someone who is deserving of a hug is very close by. “Women clad in aprons have traditionally prepared the Thanksgiving meal,” says EllynAnne, “and it is within our historical linkage to share our bounty.”

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  1:20:06 PM  Show Profile
I think on MJ's farm calendar it is marked as such already. Not sure as I haven't looked ahead.
Amazing how many memories and things are tied to aprons isn't it? Grandma's and mom's and their special ones or not so special but well remembered and loved all the more for having been used by them and been such a part of our childhood.
Thanks for posting to let us know and be reminded to get those aprons in use.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  1:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I don't know if you know this or not, but our very own MaryJane has a wonderful article published back in 2005 by Country Living. The title of the article is "Tie One On" It is an amazing read and really gives you a great insight into MaryJane's love of Aprons! It makes me want to run and put on of my aprons on right now, in fact! And best of all- you can read it right here!
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/About/articlesawards/country-living-6-05.asp

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  1:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Alee I didnt know about that article, love it!

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's just like MaryJane's tagline says "Giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting!" I think MaryJane was the first Apronista! She certianly opened my eyes to the benefits of wearing an apron. I am not 100% sure, but I think her works, like the books and magazines are really what blew open the door for other apron lovers to get out there and really let their voices be heard!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:35:19 PM  Show Profile
This is cool! Thanks for the posting.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  4:19:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for posting that Alee. It was fun to be able to read it. I love the idea of a go-to-town apron! Gets my creative juices flowing.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  4:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Once again Maryjane is ahead of her time, funny by choosing to live from time ago! I for one am marking my calendar for the 26th, even going to search for a new to me apron for the ocassion...thanks for sharing,Linda

Enjoyed the article Alee thanks...Debbie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  7:10:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
A while ago one of my friends showed me a copy of Mary Janes Farm Magazine, Artists in Aprons... she had bought hers at one of the Book Stores......she knew I made aprons (and I had actually given her one as a gift) ...she knew I collected vintage aprons and she had heard me talk about my Mother always wearing an apron. I borrowed her magazine for a few days and that is how I found out about the Mary Jane's Farmgirl Connection!!

Honestly......... until I read Mary Jane's Artists in Aprons Issue and until I found all of the Farmgirls here on the Forum, I REALLY thought I was one of the ONLY women who enjoyed making aprons and collecting vintage ones!!!! REALLY!

I never dreamed there were so many women like myself who had such an appreciation for APRONS!!! Imagine my excitement to find so many of you!!! Definately one of the reasons I felt Soooooo at home here right away!!!

I just recently ordered my very own copy of MaryJanes Farm Artists in Aprons Magazine ......... it came a few days ago!!!! I AM so happy I found all of you, and it is all because of Mary Janes Magazine!!!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  7:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Oh Also...Alee, thanks I had not seen the article before! Thanks for showing the link!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

amyartgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

991 Posts

Amy
Junction City Ohio
USA
991 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  05:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Yes, thanks Alee for sharing the article...very neat. It is amazing that our own Mary Jane has inspired others to "pass it on" with love and an apron :-)....spread the word, spread the love, one apron at a time!

Farmgirl Sister #21
Heart of Ohio Farmgirls

Proud member of Bees w/o Borders and ArtFuL SisTeRs

http://artfulheart.blogspot.com
http://farmgirltales.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9382 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9382 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  4:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Audrey,
How great that you found us and alot of kindred spirits here I'm sure.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  4:22:01 PM  Show Profile
My apron exhibit and apron designs were also a part of the June 2005 issue of Country Living magazine that Alee is sharing. I was thrilled to be included in the article, which was titled The Appeal of Aprons. There was also the loveliest apron essay by MaryJane Butters. The piece was beautifully written, and I was at once curious about this MJB person.
On and off, I have checked into this FarmGirlConnection, and one of the chats I always enjoy reading is what's new with MaryJane. Always, her accomplishments amaze. I wish I lived closer and could be supportive of the new retail venture - from afar, like so many, we'll be wishing her well.

xxEllynAnne
Tie One On...an apron, of course!
www.apronmemories.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  8:21:29 PM  Show Profile
My heart has always fluttered when as a young girl I would see my mother in her Chic sheer party/hostess aprons. I would day dream of someday being old enough to wear one of my own and being the social diva that mother was. Now I find my love for aprons has chnaged & grown 77 strong (found another one today @ a 2nd hand store)and my favorites are the 'store bought' ones... I get excited when I find a 1960's store bought apron with the little Christmas gift tag still in the pocket.
I love November, Autumn, Thanksgiving & National Tie One On Day!!!! and have it marked on my calender... but for us farmgirls at heart, apron day should be everyday.... so as EllynAnne would say, "Tie one on...an apron of course!"
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  8:26:07 PM  Show Profile
I like that!! I think I will do this !! I love baking bread too!!

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2309 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2309 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  10:14:21 PM  Show Profile
November 26 -- the day before Thanksgiving....... I have a feeling most of us will have aprons on that day!

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic National Apron / Tie One On Day is Nov 26th Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page