City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  11:51:21 AM  Show Profile
I know that most of us have visions of eating only organic and many of us are on our way to do so. I know it takes time and some creative adjustments both in what we want to eat vs. what we should eat and our often times pocket book limitations. However, I wante dto pass along the link to this website. It shows which everyday foods we buy are made with genetically enginered food products.
http://www.truefoodnow.org/shoppersguide/guide_printable.html

If you haven't already visisted True Foods Now check it out. Their is an overwhelming about of info on there.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.

LindaMAlbert
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Linda
Belgrade Montana
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  1:26:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Christina, I intend to print this out and carry it in my organizer. I think we need to send a very clear message that genetically modified food will not sell.
Linda

There is no faith which has never yet been broken except that of a truly faithful dog.
~Konrad Lorenz
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  08:54:43 AM  Show Profile
How did we ever get to the place where the USDA allowed this crap to be put in the food chain.

Just another reason in favor of farm markets, organics, grown your own and make it yourself.

Scarey the crap the government is allowing food companies to use. And, the end product has little or no nutritional value.

Interesting - I heard a news story on NPR about food additives and preservative have more to do with ADD and ADHD than a kid just being hyperactive. The story said it's usually an allergy to the garbage in procedded foods.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  09:31:07 AM  Show Profile
WOW! Great site. Thanks for sharing this! I think I'm going to print and carry it with me too.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  08:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Christina, Thank you for the the info! I think it would be a lot shorter to list what is not genetically engineered! If you combine that list with all the products that have high fructose corn syrup in it there is almost nothing safe to buy at the market!! I am sad to see fritos on the list because you think okay corn, salt and oil simple enough, but it probably is the corn that is modified. I have started canning to get away from all of that and I just did my first batch of peach jam and bread and butter pickles without high fructose corn syrup and I also made saltines and the coolest thing is my kids just gobble it up and I know it's better for them! The food industry does not seem to care what they make and sell! Just look at twinkies!

Jen, I have heard that msg can trigger ADHD in kids and sometimes you don't even know it's in the food! In tuna it's in the vegetable broth or sometimes listed as natural flavoring!

It's sad that as smart as this country is we are so stupid to just go along with what is in the market and if more people don't speak up it won't change!

Monica
Farmgirls Rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  09:50:08 AM  Show Profile
I try very hard to only feed my baby organic food. It takes shopping from three different stores, and driving 60 miles round trip, but it is worth it. We go once a week or so. The hardest thing is trying to break DH of crappy snack food, and passing up corn 5 for $1. I make DH bring any junk food to work with him. I have introduced him to Barbars's cheese puffs, which are dangerously good, but they are 30 miles away.
I feel fairly safe shopping the natural food sections and stores.
I wish the list included more brands. If anyone has a link to other lists, that would be great. I wonder about imported foods. I am a sucker for anything from Italy.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

scurran
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Sara
St. Louis Missouri
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  7:37:00 PM  Show Profile
For produce...here's a tip:
4 digit PLU# on sticker means conventional produce.
5 digit PLU# starting with a 9 means organic produce (still look for the USDA Organic Certification)
5 digit PLU# starting with an 8 means genetically modified produce.
Honestly, I've never seen the 5 digit in any of the grocery stores around here!

As far as baby food goes, here's an interesting site for making your own. Time consuming yes, but when you think about the time you spent driving from place to place and the money spent...it could be better!

http://www.kidsorganics.com/Make%20UR%20own%20baby%20food.htm

Sara
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  8:58:37 PM  Show Profile
Luckily, I am a SAHM, so I have lots of time. The problem is that there is super slim pickins as far as organics in my town, except for salad fixins and organic baby food. I'm sad my CSA has ended. Baby eats mostly what we eat, I just chop or puree it. I don't freeze it, because I don't use a microwave, and thawing it seems arduous, for a hungry baby.

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  12:35:39 PM  Show Profile
hey, Monica, could you share the recipe for saltines? I had one but lost it.
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  12:40:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes!! Monica, I would love to have your recipe as well.

Hugs~

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Are you eating G.E. Foods? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page