Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Need info on how to raise my own beef/cow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need info on how to raise my own beef/cow Next Topic  

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  11:59:26 AM  Show Profile
My neighbor shared with me that they are getting a cow to raise for their own consumption. I have often thought of doing the same but have never raised one before. I do have lot of experience raising horses so I figured somethings cross over. But I have a few questions that maybe you could help me with.
#1 Is it really cost effective?
#2 What breeds do best to feed a family of four?
#3 When would be the best time to purchase the calf?
#4 Is there an online support group to help mushy ol me get through butchering day? :)
I'd love to hear your stories be they successful or not. (Why reinvent the wheel?)
I cringe when I buy meat from the grocers because I wonder what kind of things we're consuming and what kind of life did this cow have, that I'm supporting financially. We do have organic grass fed beef available through a specialty meat market an hour from here, that I try to support as much as I can. Having a freezer full of my own would be wonderful.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  12:06:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi Michelle, We raise our own. Ours is a longhorn/beefmaster. I am not sure which is the best kind but we like the meat this one produces. We are a family of four and I can tell you that our meat from a calf last 1 year and half so that is not eating meat every night. We have the butcher do steaks/hamburger meat/roast and I am not sure what else. We have a mama cow and she has babies and if they are boys they go to the butcher. We take them at about 1 yr. and half. Ours is grass fed and to butcher I think it was 350 but we do our pigs too and I think that was both of them, not sure. I hope that helps, sorry I do not have more info.

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  2:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
we have raised several including some we bought from a dairly farmer! they make good meat tho not as much per hanging weight as a meat breed. we feed them sweet feed, pasture, hay and of course the last 6 weeks finish them on lots of corn! i feel that corn makes the best tasting and tenderest meat. here in alaska most folks feed them out on barley (corn isnt readily available) and i just dont like the taste of it at all! one thing that helps at butchering timem*e is remembering all the time they are growing that it is meat! i love to watch the steaks, roasts and hamburger grow! i do make pets out of them, brush them and love them so that they will have happy lives and i wll be very happy knowing that while they gave us their best we also gave them the best understand? good luck and happy eating! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  2:41:47 PM  Show Profile
AngieKay,
I am emailing you privately about 4-H stuff.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  4:33:53 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I emailed you back. Not sure I helped much but I tried. hugs

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4274 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4274 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  04:38:09 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I have a Jersey cow, and hereford cattle. It is alot of work, but would not trade a minute of it for anything. You ask if raising your own is cost effective? Depends on how you choose to look at it. Money wise, probely not, cheaper to buy it all. Knowing how your food was raised, what it was fed, where it came from, all that is priceless. If you have the rooom, raiseing 2 would be nice. It gives them company, they have competion for the feed, and then you could sell one to help pay for the cost of raisng yours. The butcher day is no fun, but you are raising them for a purpose, and jsut got to remember that. As I get older I get softer, :)

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  06:20:17 AM  Show Profile
Thanks AngieKay, I got your email and you were helpful.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need info on how to raise my own beef/cow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page