Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 How do you know when apples are ripe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic How do you know when apples are ripe? Next Topic  

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  08:42:37 AM  Show Profile
This is our first year in this house and there are three old apple trees in the yard that are loaded with fruit. This may be dumb, but how do I know when they are ready? They are turning reddish now, but still have some green on them. I just picked one and cut into it, and it is still very hard, but doesn't necessarily taste sour/tart, but not really sweet either. I know there are hundreds of varieties of apples that ripen over several months, I just don't want to wait too long and lose them all to bugs and rot. Any suggestions?

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  09:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Apples ripen through from late Aug to early Nov. depending on type. To see if they are ready to be harvested, take an apple in your hand and twist lightly. If the apple is ripe the stalk will come clean and freely away from the fruiting spur (the part of the twig where the fruit grows). If not then the apple is not ripe.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Edited by - Alee on Aug 16 2008 09:21:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Perfect description, Alee. It could not have been better said!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  03:51:27 AM  Show Profile
you can also cut one open and look at the seeds. If they are dark,they are ripe.
'
Michele
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  04:23:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the tips! My son and I picked up several crates full yesterday of ones that fell off in a storm that we had last week. I wish we had some chickens to give them to! But they went into the compost pile instead. I picked a dark red one while we were working and ate it. I didn't notice how easily it came from the tree, I just yanked it off. But, the seeds were dark and it had really pretty white flesh with dark pink flecks. Hopefully they will make some tasty applesauce in the next few weeks.
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  08:50:41 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad you asked this Toni - we have some underloved apple trees in our yard and next year, after I prune them, I was wondering how in the heck I was going to figure out when to pick:)
Alee - thanks for the very well-put answer, even I can follow it
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  5:06:26 PM  Show Profile
Don't compost the ones that fall to the ground. Instead make applesauce. Well, ok if they are wormy you may not want to, but waste not, want not. I just bought two apple trees today. they were half price!! I'm so exciting. It will be a few years, but I can't wait for my first apples.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic How do you know when apples are ripe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page