Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I met the nicest people this weekend....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I met the nicest people this weekend.... Next Topic  

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Just wanted to share this story.

I work at my family's dinner on the weekends. It's small, we have counter seat [9], 8 tables, and 2 outside tables. I waited on 4 tables inside and the 2 tables outside on Sunday. We had some new comers, a nice couple from England. They were visiting family and stopped by the resturant on the way to the airport going back home.

They both ordered hot tea to drink. So I served them how I normally do, I filled the cups with hot water...throw a tea bag in each, placed the cups on saucers with a wedge of lemon and cream. This tea was regular tea [I even think it was just a store brand as well....I don't even drink that]. They ordered breakfat. While that was cooking I went back out b/c I was dying to ask them something. I asked them how the tea was [know quite well oh Englanders are about their tea]. They kindly looked at me and responded with "Oh Love, this tea in horrible!" I had to giggle. I responded with "I know, I just had to ask." I asked them about the tea that they normally drink. They proceded to tell me how they boil leaf tea, what they drink it with, so forth and so on. I found it all very intersting considering I LOVE tea. However, I drink english breakfast tea, earl grey, and london tea. I can barely stand regular lipton tea. I got spoiled with good tea. My neighbor [the writer] was touring in England and Ireland, and brought some back for me as a gift for watching the pets and house for her. Ever since, NO regular for me.

Well, by the end of their visit to the diner, they got my name and address and insisted on sending back some 'good stuff' tea to me. I was totally elated! I told them that wasn't necessary and that was too much....but they wanted too.

They were so kind and nice....and absolutely why I love my weekend job. I cna't wait until I get the package. Not really for the tea, but to return the favor, and send them something really nice! Maybe some tea cups or something...I don't know yet.

Jamie
P.s. Hope I didn't ramble on to much...just had to express some appreciation for these wonderful people.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:40:45 AM  Show Profile
jamie .. what a sweet story .. and it shows the kindness of people from other countries who visit .. and of course .. your own kindnesses extended too by caring for them. xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great! Don't you love meeting people like that?!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  09:39:28 AM  Show Profile
It is nice to run into people like that.....especially when I owork with family!!..ugh...
We usually quietly fight like cats and dogs [hence the name....'Battlefield Family Resturant'], and when you have great customers, it makes the day soooooo much better.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  10:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Truly what life is about.....The lovely people we have the chance to meet along the way! Thanks for sharing the warm story.

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  11:11:10 AM  Show Profile
Jamie:
Cute story. That's what memories are made of.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:46:55 PM  Show Profile
Jamie, I love that when you get to have a real conversation with someone like that, whether it is a foreign country or just someone you meet that has really shared interests. There are so many nice people in the world. It is such a pleasure when you get to meet them.

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:49:45 PM  Show Profile
The english will do that, send you tea. I've noticed it before w/ any english people I have had the luxery of meeting. Once they get your addy, that tea will be on it's way. Funny thing is it's made by the same companys that we're used to, just more "special" for their taste buds I guess.
P~

living a good neighbor life

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:54:31 PM  Show Profile
how neat Jamie. I love tea too.. I always get PG Tips from World Market- it is an english tea and it is soooooo good.. I love it with a bit of vanilla creamer.

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I met the nicest people this weekend.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page