luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:08:42 PM  Show Profile
My area doesn't have an animal shelter that can accommodate horses. I hear that they usually try to place rescued animals in private homes. With times as they are, I imagine "foster" homes are getting harder and harder to find. It's been on my heart to open my barn up to take in a few horses. I really don't know much about the process. Does anyone have any advice as to how to get involved and possible avenues for extra resources for their care? I've been a horse owner for 35 years so I have lots of experience with equines so that's not a concern. I would like to share some of the resources I've been blessed with with some critters that haven't had an easy life.

Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
Farmgirl Sister #306 :)

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:26:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would suggest calling your local Animal Control or Shelter. They would know where to direct you or be able to sign you up. Some places have "Foster Support" Where they help with food/medicine/needs of the animal they place with you.

I think that is such a wonderful idea! What a great thing you will be doing!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  11:15:22 AM  Show Profile
Michele:
You are indeed an animal lover. Keep us posted. I hope you have the chance to take in a few horses who need love and lots of care.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  8:03:53 PM  Show Profile
I am familiar with a horse rescue program here in LA. Hopeful Haven is the name and the lady in charge is Debra Barlow, an animal cruelty investigator. They rescued tons of livestock and pets during Katrina. She is very nice and maybe you could call or email her for helpful information to get you started. Here is her site: http://www.hopefulhaven.com/
If you google horse rescue in your area, hopefully there will be someone closer to you that can be of more help. This is such a wonderful idea.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

artbysue
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Sue
Kidron Ohio
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  04:10:18 AM  Show Profile
Best wishes! I have, over the tyears, taken in many equine rescues and it is rewarding-- although challenging too at times! :) I am sure there is a big need in whatever area you are in.

equine and animal artist, Amish art, www.suesteiner.com www.amish-art.com
www.amulti-coloredlife.blogspot.com
http://www.cafepress.com/suesteiner
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Horse Rescue Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page