Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 PICS! Visit to traditional farming life museum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic PICS! Visit to traditional farming life museum Next Topic  

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  12:25:00 PM  Show Profile
Tomorrow I'm going to visit an open-air museum in the south of England, where they have traditional farm buildings, crafts and a few farm animals, here is a bit more about it:
www.wealddown.co.uk
I love visiting these sorts of places, and it keeps me inspired and thinking about what my farm is one day going to look like. I will share photos from the trip in the next few days!
Debs

Edited by - Debs on Oct 30 2005 07:36:59 AM

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  1:05:41 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful place to visit Debby! How interesting to see what farm life was like in past centuries. I look forward to seeing your pics! I can just imagine the English countryside is spectacular in autumn! Lucky YOU! Thanks for sharing!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  1:16:07 PM  Show Profile
Wow - I would love to visit the English countryside someday. How beautiful. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  2:59:58 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Have a wonderful time! And come back and tell us all about it!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2005 :  07:13:07 AM  Show Profile
I hope you have nice weather for your visit today. I was there with you - I took the virtual tour! What a lovely place!! It's interesting to think how different life would have been back then.
As you think about your farm someday, remember places like this have a staff! No one's farm looks that neat and tidy. LOL
I look forward to seeing your photos.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Debs
True Blue Farmgirl

100 Posts

Debs
Wellington
New Zealand
100 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  08:15:09 AM  Show Profile
Well the English weather lived up to it's reputation, as we left London, the sky was beautiful and blue, but down in the West Sussex countryside it turned to dull and grey! Not cold though, so it was quite pleasant to walk around the museum. The museum is spread over 50 acres, so we had a lot of walking to do. There was a shop at the entrance that sold a few crafts and foodstuffs, and there were lovely angora scarves with natural dyes - very expensive though! The buildings were very old, timber frame tudor and medieval buildings, and a few Victorian cottages even a 15th century thatched cottage that was in the process of being restored. Most were empty but there were a few set up as a blacksmith, a tudor style kitchen, stables, a rural Victorian school and several had warm fireplaces in the middle of their central room, which is how they had them in medieval days!
The animals were not abundant, there were 2 oxen, 4 shire horses, several free range chickens, a few sheep, 2 Tamworth pigs "for fattening" and millions of ducks as you will see from the photos!! There were little kitchen gardens everywhere that obviously benefited from the piles of horse manure that were located at the edge of one section of farmland!
My favourite building was the old mill powered by a water wheel. You could buy the flour that had just been milled, but I asked for some wheat that was stored in a sack, waiting to be milled. I have a small hand-powered coffee/wheat grinder at home so took some home and it has come out not quite like flour but I will probably be able to make some nice wholewheat bread with it!
My photos aren't as good as the ones on the website!
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/turehu2/my_photos
Enjoy!
The visit has made me think about having water-wheel power one day and also I would love to make naturally dyed angora wool scarves!
Debs
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  3:44:52 PM  Show Profile
It's been a very quiet weekend here. I've been waiting for you to post!!! LOL! Thanks for the pictures, I enjoyed them very much.

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  4:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Debs! I enjoyed them alot!

"I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live up to what light I have." - Abraham Lincoln.... http://farmstyle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  8:23:14 PM  Show Profile
Debby! THe pictures were beautiful! My dream is to visit England some day. I have ancestors from Whales. I would love to visit the country and also visti the flea markets in te city!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  05:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Thank you so much for sharing the pictures...what a wonderful place!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic PICS! Visit to traditional farming life museum Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page