Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kathryn
Moncks Corner SC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  07:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone:)
I've had this problem years ago and an old recipe has always worked.
Unfortunately, not this time. :( In the past, I've boiled orange peels from several oranges. Strained it thru fine cloth and then put it in a spray bottle. Spray furniture,floors, everything until it is soaked! It dries, then vacuum and repeat about 3 to 4 days later and no more fleas.
This time, I've a dog in the house and I've done the flea bath with orange peels and watched the fleas die. It is just not enough.

Would you have any other suggestions? I've bought a package of little tubes to squirt down her back to tail. Shampooed with a chemical flea and tick shampoo; but she is still miserable.

We do live in South Carolina swamplands... sigh... Last year we didn't have any problems with these critters at all. I cannot afford to take her to the vet to be "dipped." I do know that this summer has been much more wet and the heat index has been high and lasted longer this year.

Thankyou ahead for any advice.
MeadowLark8

Born city with a country heart.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  08:44:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathryn-

Put Borax on the carpet, even sprinkle it in the dog's fur. Leave for several hours, then vacuum. Immediately put the vacuum bag into a plastic garbage bag and throw in the dumpster!

Also wash anything fabric that you can in hot hot water!

The borax dehydrates them, destroys the eggs and stops the life cycle. You might need to do the borax/vacuum for 2 days but the infestation should be killed immediately.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  09:58:01 AM  Show Profile
Alee, You always know!! Thanks so much, I will be adding this one to my MJF notes!!!
Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:14:48 AM  Show Profile
I have heard the same thing about baking soda. Or is that the same product?

whiteraven

Life is what you make it!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark8
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kathryn
Moncks Corner SC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  11:26:56 AM  Show Profile
Thankyou! I wont need to move the birds,guinea pigs and pet rats with borax or baking soda:) I just knew there had to be another safe rememdy!
MeadowLark

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  11:41:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Borax and Baking Soda are actually two different products. I haven't ever tried the Baking Soda to get rid of fleas (hopefully I won't ever have to again!) But the one time when we had roommates who gave my dog fleas, the Borax worked great. My dog is horribly allergic to fleas. She was scratching huge quarter sized holes in her skin. I had taken her to the vet and gotten all sorts of shots and medicines and still nothing helped. She was getting so bad I was even contemplating putting her to sleep to put her out of her misery and then lo and behold...my roommate's dog had fleas! Ugh! We had never seen any on Sky so we didn't consider them a possibility. So we scrubbed the house down, dusted all the carpets, beds and dogs with borax and waited. There was lots of vacuuming, but Sky's wounds healed up after that and no more scratching!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  1:18:54 PM  Show Profile
Yes, the borax, vaccum idea really works. Since the flea eggs hatch every 14-21 days you might want to repeat this in 2 weeks just to be sure you got them all. Treating the outside area will go a long way in not having a re-infestation. Something else I did that the vet recommended is to bath is Orignial Blue Dawn dish soap, not often though. Also, the vet has a pill called Capstar that works within 24 hours and is safe for your pet. Have you considered D.E. and herbal oils? Bless your heart, I do hope you get relief from those critters.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  6:37:58 PM  Show Profile
I spray Avon's skin so soft on my dog, then I wait about a half an hour, then I actually vaccum the dog! Go ahead and laugh. I laughed the first time I did it. The only thing about doing it this way is you have to do this at least once a week!!!!!!!! Of course, Alee's suggestion sounds good, too.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

girlwrangler
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sheri
Lincoln Montana
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  7:51:14 PM  Show Profile
Borax is the best idea...and for outdoors you can use diatomaceous earth. You can usually fine it at pool supply stores. This also works to keep ants, spiders and other creepy crawlies out of the house - they die if they get in it - and won't cross it if they can avoid it!

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  07:03:10 AM  Show Profile
Marly:
I thought about vacuuming my dog too, but she would eat the vacuum cleaner up!! That is a funny sight to imagine. Hey, if it works though, why not?

I read once in an Organic Gardening mag that there were 2 kinds of diatomaceous earth. The article mentioned not using the kind found at pool supply stores because it contained a chemical added to it that would be harmful to breath. Instead, it said to purchase diatomaceous earth at garden centers/feed stores. Did anyone else know about this? I use to get this mag a long time ago, but not anymore.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

girlwrangler
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sheri
Lincoln Montana
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  08:56:48 AM  Show Profile
That is true about diatomaceous earth...used to be that the pool supply centers only carried the kind with chemicals but most carry the safe type now with the bigger "green" movement across the country. I used to only go to the feed store to get it - but have found it at a few pool places.

Sheri
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark8
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kathryn
Moncks Corner SC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  7:23:55 PM  Show Profile
I'm lost. I bought the Borax and sprinkled it heavily thru the house. We're all being eaten alive with fleas now.:( We did get the DE from the pool supply at Home Depot. We used the spray mister with water to deliver all over the yard. My daughter went out to move the dog house a bit and got chewed up with bug bites:( I don't know what else to do.
I cannot leave the dog outside as she simply would not let anyone sleep thru the night. (she's a beagle.) I cannot use chemicals due to have two cockatiels, three pet rats, and two guinea pigs.
We did shampoo her with a Flea Dip yesterday.. it hasn't helped.
We don't have the cash for a trip to the vet. The weather here is aweful and it looks like we will get some rain/ storm off of Hurricane Faye in a couple more days. The only thing I can think to do is bug bomb the house with all the pets outside as soon as it doesn't rain all day. :( Still, don't know what to do about the fleas "on the dog."
MeadowLark

Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  7:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Alee, So you said you sprinkle the dog with the borax? it won't hurt them?

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  8:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How long did you leave the Borax down, Kathryn? Leave it down for a minimum of 2 hours but 24-48 hours is best. You must sprinkle it liberally and on everything that is a textile. This means on your bed, couch, carpets, rugs etc. Also you need to wash ALL of your clothes that are 3 or less feet off the ground in HOT water. Wash the dog again. Let her dry (perhaps on a nice walk away from the fleas?) Then sprinkle her with the Borax. Also make sure you are immediately bagging up your vacuum bag into a plastic bag, sealing it (knotting it is fine), and getting it out of the house. They can and will find their way out of the vacuum if you don't.
Repeat this process every 2 days for 2 and a half weeks. Flea eggs will hatch anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks depending on environmental conditions. Also you need to get the outdoors under control. I would get the powdered Diatomaceos Earth and, starting close to your house, sprinkle liberally. Also check your other pets for signs that the fleas have moved in. They should all be fine with a dusting of Diatomaceos Earth- I would not recommend the Borax for the birds or rodents.

AngiKay- The Borax will not hurt the dogs at all. They would have to eat more than a box of it to get sick and I would estimate that 99% of healthy dogs would not do that because of the extremely salt like taste.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark8
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kathryn
Moncks Corner SC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  07:31:10 AM  Show Profile
I was able to get the Diatomaceos Earth (it's for the pool.It has to be sprayed with a sprayer. I did that; but then the storms hit. So, I'll be doing it again.) I laid the Borax on thick! I left it over night. sigh.. with 5 kids at home right now.. Laundry is going all day long. I've been using a Shop Vac that I can take outside and dump into a bag. ( my van broke down so the bags are waiting a trip to the dump.) sigh... it looks like more rain today.
Kathryn

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:56:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathryn- Since you are so heavily infested, you might be having several generations of fleas hatching everyday which might be why it feels like the Borax isn't working yet. Keep up with it! The more you vacuum the better too!

Even though you should NEVER use a flea collar on your dog, you could buy one to put in your dumping bag and inside your shop vac. That way the little beasties die from the poison as well and don't jump out.

I have been there and done that! My roommates dog infested mine once upon a time. Their poor dog was literally crawling with them. It looked like his coat was moving but it was the fleas. We got it under control in about a week.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Another thing you can do during the night is- get a big bowl of water. Put some dish washing soap in the water. Get a lamp that beds (like those desk lamps) and make the light bulb hover very close to the water. Turn off all lights at night except the lamp. The fleas will jump for the light/heat and fall in the water to drown. This also works if you have one of those shop lights on an extension cord if you can suspend it above the water.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  11:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Also to treat outside- it looks like you can purchase some beneficial nematodes that kill the fleas!

http://www.arbico-organics.com/1220320.html

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  4:38:47 PM  Show Profile
I have to agree that Borax is an excellent solution to fleas in the house. I'm from Florida and the flea problem down there is a constant battle--especially with pets. The Borax always worked better than anything we tried--chemical or otherwise. Leave it down as long as you can stand it, plan to vacuum often (throwing out the vacuum bags each time). You can even put flea collars in the vacuum bag for between treatments to kill any fleas you vaccuum up in the interim. If the dog is especially itchy, you may have a pup with flea allergies. If this is the case, the vet will want to prescribe expensive shampoos and steroids. We found the best solution was over the counter, generic Benedril given daily--cleared the hotspots right up. Back to the Borax...try sprinkling it all over the carpet and using a broom to really get it down into the fiber. If you do a good job of 'sweeping' the carpet, you won't even see the Borax so you'll be more likely to let it set long enough to do some good. Good luck with the flea battle. I have soooooo been there...

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Edited by - clux64 on Aug 24 2008 4:41:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark8
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kathryn
Moncks Corner SC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  07:19:17 AM  Show Profile
Thankyou! All of your advice is awesome:)

The fleas hit us so suddenly! It was about a week of really hot/humidity and then "fleas!" I'm being told that around here this is the "way it is, when the weather is like this."sigh... I've got company coming for lunch today. I can sweep more borax into the carpet after they leave this afternoon. (our carpet is so thin in some places that it is almost bare.)
I do wish we could afford the nematodes. That would be great to get the yard under control. Our yard on two sides is heavy swamp. We see little turtles,rabbits etc... cross our yard daily. We even have named a couple of hawks.
I will keep working at this.
Kathryn

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  09:58:09 AM  Show Profile
I have a bagless vacuum, has anyone tried the Borax with one of those?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark8
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kathryn
Moncks Corner SC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  11:47:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kim,
I'm using a Shop vac. It's all I have. I just clean it after each use.
This has been a long road lately. I'm soooo tired of fleas!
Kathryn

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  11:32:45 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I'd post to keep this topic going. I wish I had saved the link, but from what I've read, apparently these last 3 years have been the worst flea outbreak since the 1880s.

I have them and I don't even have pets. Its either ther rabbits that nest under the deck or the deer that have been sneaking up by the house or my daughter who's apt is infested and they can't get it under control.

Ok, I have fibromyalgia, so the whole concept of flipping cushions over, stripping beds, spraying, vacuuming, etc, etc. is enough to make me pass out. Just the trip to the store is painful.

I'm perservering and have done the borax thing and sprayed mattresses, and even circled bites on my leg with marker so I could keep track of new ones. BTW, fleas bite in groups of 3 bites in a roughly triangular pattern.

Also, mopping bare floors with lemon joy (or similar lemon detergent) supposedly deters them. Tomorrow I hope to get some more natural spray than what I was using, as I want to really get the bedroom and under the baseboard. THIS IS SUCH A DRAG!!!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark8
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Kathryn
Moncks Corner SC
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  06:56:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi All,
We finally hit rock bottom and called in some professional help.
We were told that the thins we did greatly helped and that the problem was more weather than us doing something wrong in treatment to get rid of the fleas. Food Grade diatomaceous earth really does dehydrate and kill fleas. The borax was a great help before it arrived. We did drown quite a few in the plates of water at night as well. I guess the main thing is just keep at it. Realize that all the extra warm damp weather is going to increase all of the nasty little critters we don't care to get bitten by.
My kids love oranges so we've decided to just peel oranges and stick the peels in ziplock bags in the fridge. Once we get a quart size bag full, boil a gallon of water with them. Then, spritz the carpets at least once aweek. Along with the Food grade D.E. outside after every rain dries off.:) Hopefully we'll keep this under better control.
Kathryn

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Jana!

I think I got sore just thinking of how sore you must be! I hope your infestation clears soon!

Kathryn- glad the experts gave some good news! I bet you will be flea free soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help with Flea Removal? Please? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page