Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Being a better "green" gal.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Being a better "green" gal..... Next Topic  

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  06:54:54 AM  Show Profile
Alright, so I'm a recylcing NUT and I willingly admit it. I drive the rest of the family crazy about it too.

I realize the importance of this activity....however, it seems to me the NO ONE ELSE DOES!!!! GRRRR.

The facts are, most everything we throw away can actually be recycled! I think that I sometimes overwhelm the recycle truck guys with all the stuff I put on the curb for them to come and get. But I look around the neighborhood and NO ONE else has their recycle containers out.....just the garbage cans...

I totally feel like my family is doing their part.

How can I discretely get the rest of the neighborhood involved? Perhaps I can post a flyer?

What do you all think? Am I being overly dramatic about this???

Jamie

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison

Edited by - simplyflowers on Aug 13 2008 06:55:59 AM

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  07:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jamie- I think you are doing great! Recycling is something we all should get excited about! I am not sure how to get the neighborhood more involved, but perhaps you could as the recycling center to mail fliers to your area. Perhaps a letter to the editor?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  07:06:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh so true!! A letter to the editor would be great! I think I will do that.

I want my son to grow up in a better environment, that's all! :)

Jamie

P.s. Hope you're having a "kicking the laundry's butt" kinda day!!! :)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  07:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Yes I agree. I just posted a little something about this on my new blog. Tell me what you think. My blog address is www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  07:29:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Pam. Just read the blog and oh boy!! This is a symptom of a large scale PROBLEM!!! Everybody really needs to do more! This is a very scary time for the environment and unless important legislation is passed in regards to protection of the environment....things are going to increasingly get worse. I worry not so much about myself but my son's future. I feel like people are not going to take this seriously until something really bad is happening. By that time, will it be to late?? We just don't know. What I do know is that since gas prices had gone up less people had been driving their cars and finding cheaper ways to get from point a to point b, at the same time, they didn't realize what a positive effect high gas prices has had on the environment. Not that I'm wishing for unaffordable gas or anything....but might the world have to be tricked into being more environmentally friendly?? Things that make you go hmmmm.

ok, I will step off of the soap box for a moment. I could rant and rave about this topic for hours on end!!!

Thanks,
Jamie

Edited by - simplyflowers on Aug 13 2008 07:37:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  07:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
You are so right. For your son's sake as well as mine let's hope everyone just wises up. Maybe the world is being tricked into being more green...we can only hope. Well, have a great day.

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  07:52:28 AM  Show Profile
I just read some AMAZING and very convicting articles on http./www.laundrylist.org. Scroll down to required reading... Wow.. so much we can do..... good luck!

Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Could you go to the town (city) and start things on a BIG scale? I have lived in a couple of places that have legislated it different ways. If you are interested I can tell more.

I am also trying to make my children aware of their own "footprint" and to do what they can.

whiteraven

Life is what you make it!

Edited by - whiteraven on Aug 13 2008 10:10:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:24:43 AM  Show Profile
I AM VERY INTERESTED!!! Whiteraven!

I went to laundry list and OMG!!!

Jamie

Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  3:06:35 PM  Show Profile
You're words are so contagious Jamie! I, too, am an avid recycler and reuser! I think you're setting a great example for your neighborhood right now by putting everything out that you can. Maybe they'll get the hint. I've been told by some people that it just takes too long and is too time consuming. Boulderdash! Recycling becomes a habit just like brushing your teeth! Keep going girlfriend! Susan
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  6:12:30 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan! You're right, it is like brushing teeth!! I keep a brown paper bag by the trash can and just through the recycling in there. It's not like you actually have to wash the stuff first before putting it out at the curb! SO WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL NEIGHBORHOOD, COUNTY, STATE, USA, and WORLD???!!!! RECYCLE!!!!! WOOTWOOT GO GREEN

JAMIE

Go to Top of Page

whiteraven
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Christa
Kansas City MO
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  6:28:06 PM  Show Profile
When I was in college, the town that I lived in passed a law that everyone -including businesses- must recycle. We bought clear plastic bags to separate all the various kinds of stuff, and the trash comapnies would come around with a truck with seperate compartments to empty each kind. Plastic bags may not be a good alternative now, but seperate containers for each are needed. I think this is the better way. It spreads the cost out between the consumer, trash company and the city.

When I am currently living, the city hires the trash company, everyone in the neighborhood has the same trash day, and we pay for it through the water bill. We are allowed only two bags of trash, and are given a recycling bin with a list of what can be put in them. They do not take glass or styraform, but there are drop off points for these things. I have a family of 5 and we easily fit under the two bag max.

I think the best solution is a combo between the two.

whiteraven

Life is what you make it!

Edited by - whiteraven on Aug 13 2008 6:29:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Being a better "green" gal..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page