Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What do you do with 6+ pounds of tomatoes...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What do you do with 6+ pounds of tomatoes... Next Topic  

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:57:19 PM  Show Profile
What do you do with 6+ pounds of ripe red tomatoes...why you make freezer salsa of course!!! which is what I did last night...
I ended up with 10 - 1/2 pints & 2 - 1 pints of the most yummy salsa...it was worth all the work & mess.
Tonight along with dinner I fried up some corn tortillas and we enjoyed them with the fresh salsa, YUM! or should I say, Ole'
I posted a pic on my blog.
I "borrowed" the label idea from bev~ Bee Haven Maven, and printed up labels on adhesive backed paper...it worked out great. Thanx Bev for the terrific idea.
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  9:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Cant wait to try it!! LOL

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Continuous effort, not strength or intelligence is the key to unlocking our potential
Liane Cardes

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com

Aunt Debs Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5848156
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  9:07:26 PM  Show Profile
gotta jar here w/your name on it,,,,certainly you didn't think I'd forget you!!!!
BB is on, gotta gom
TTYL!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  03:51:09 AM  Show Profile
Wow katmom! Love your blog! I bookmarked you! So, do you just put your jars in the freezer? Your little scamp is so cute! AND of course, I love all your crafts. Oh, and Dean...can't name the picture but it's from a John Wayne flick I think?
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  07:59:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey Cutie pie!!! I miss my little" Goin to MJs friend"! I've been outta the loop for a while! I would love the recipe for that salsa! I see lots of green tomatoes right now -its been in the 60s here-can you believe it! So when they all turn red I'm in trouble! I keep telling myself this is my year to learn to can!!!!! Love the lables, love your blog, love it all!!! XXXXOOOOO

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  08:14:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey StarMeadow,
yep, John Wyan did 2 movies that were the same but w/different casts...in this one Dino, was the drunken town sheriff and Ricky Nelson was the young kid, in one movie his name was Colorado and in the other I think it was Arizona...and Walter Brennen was the goofy old guy, 'dagnabbit'...lol!

I par boil my maters & bell peppers, peel, seed, and chop...then I skillet fry my chilis & dice. I cook(simmer) my onions, veggies and grated garlic, paprika,chili pepper seeds, dash of white pepper, cilantro, 1/2cup white vinegar, for 10 min. Then I pour the slasa into jars, put the lids on and wait till the lids 'pop' then after an hour or so, when the jars are cooled down I put them in the fridge over night to let the salsa flavor ripen. After that I put the salsa in the freezer(make sure to leave room in the jar for the expansion as it freezes).
If you use the salsa with in a week you don't have to freeze it.
enjoy!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  08:15:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey mima,
I miss you too!!!
Wasn't Idaho awesome!
You are such the world traveler! lol!

mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  11:42:21 AM  Show Profile
the Aug/sept issue of Mother Earth News has a big article on just such a thing. from freezing, to canning, to drying. check it out.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What do you do with 6+ pounds of tomatoes... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page