Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Feet Pain Next Topic  

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:04:08 PM  Show Profile
My husband's soles of his feet hurt every day when he comes home from work. Is there anything out there that can help soothe his feet. He says the soles burn. He rubs them with ointment, to no avail. Any idea?

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:28:04 PM  Show Profile
I suggest Nike Shox! I suffered from foot pain for years. Bought a pair of Shox and within a week my feet felt worlds better. Also is he sure it isn't athletes foot or some other fungus? A burning feeling is often a sign of that.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2008 :  12:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie. I think part of his problem is that he stands on concrete all day. But, I'll get him a pair of the Nike Shox.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  05:49:53 AM  Show Profile
I don't want to sound alarming, but my dad noticed problems with his feet (he works standing up on concrete also) and it turned out that he had type 2 diabetes. It causes circulation problems. Might want to get the blood sugar checked.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  4:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Amie:
I thought of that, too. I'm a diabetic. But, my husband refuses to think that that could be it! Oh, well... what's a girl gonna do...... Thanks for the advice.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  5:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Marly, it could be simple as heel spurs. I used to work for a podiatrist (in another life...) and we saw alot of that. He may just need orthotics. Peppermint oil/lotion at bedtime is a lifesaver!

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
www.harvestthymefarm.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  5:16:17 PM  Show Profile
All the above.

I would get checked for diabetes, for sure.

I would also go to a podiatrist, and get custom made sole inserts.

And I would buy socks that have arch support. I tell you, when I was pg and my feet were swollen huge, and I have diabetes. I bought some arch support socks, New Balance brand, and wow with in a hour my feet swelling was down!

I have sense bought other brands that I like just as well. I just always make sure to get arch support socks!

Also make sure he is wearing "good" shoes.

I'm sorry, I wore payless shoes all my life. Till a few years ago. I can tell you when I switched to "good" shoes, preferably New Balance, I have seen a HUGE difference in foot pain.

I have diabetes, as well as arthritus in my feet and toes-from a really really bad break/dislocation, that they didn't even think I would ever be able to walk nor get my feet to fit in to shoes again!. So I can tell you these things do help me a lot.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  5:36:27 PM  Show Profile
I Disagree with custom orthodoics. I suffered foot pain for years. My podiatrist suggested New Balance shoes which helped but nothing compared to the relief I got from Nike shox. He also suggested orthotics which cost me around 400 buck and hurt my feet WORSE than before.

My biggest relief came from the Shox as I mentioned above and wearing a night boot on my feet.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  5:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Were the orthotics custom made for you? IE a cast made of your foot, and them hand crafted for your feet?
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  6:30:42 PM  Show Profile
I have orthotics and they are wonderful. They are from Foot Levelers. I think you can find their site easily. I got them thru my chiropractor. To each her own...mine only cost around $100.

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
www.harvestthymefarm.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane

Edited by - deeredawn on Aug 12 2008 6:31:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2008 :  8:05:22 PM  Show Profile
Yes Heather. I had to step into some mold thing at the Podiatrists office and then they sent them off to be made. The left foot was okay(not great) but the right was AWFUL! SO PAINFUL! I complained to the doc and he said I wasn't giving my foot time to adjust. I wore the thing for two weeks and ended up with swollen bruises all over my foot. He checked my foot to the mold and basically told me it was "all in my head" and they refused to remake them.

He had also been giving me WEEKLY cortisone shots in my foot which I later found out is REALLY bad. The FDA (or whoever) only reccommends 2 PER YEAR because of potential nerve, muscle and tissue damage caused by the injections.

I finally spent a day doing research on the internet, quit going to the doctor and was able to "cure" myself by doing some of the things I found on the internet. Stretches, night boot, Nike Shox, etc.

I literally had to crawl on the floor for the first 30 minutes of each day for almost 2 years because of the pain. I was okay during the day as long as I didn't sit down. If I did it was VERY difficult to stand again. (I was diagnosed with Plantar Fascitis) Now I only have very minimul pain on rare occassions usually when I have worn bad shoes or flip flops.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  10:24:14 AM  Show Profile
Where would you get the Nike Shox and the night boots? I have always had problems with my feet. I went to a podiatrist because of a neuroma (cyst caused by bones rubbing together). He gave me those cheapo inserts that I have seen at Wal-Mart and charged me $50 for them. Then last year, I fell and twisted my ankle. It was swollen and bruised, but I didn't go to the doctor for it because silly me thought that since I could still walk on it that it must not be broken. Well, to this day I have constant pain and swelling on that foot. Seems worse after I have been sitting down to try to alleviate the swelling. My ankles are very weak and try to roll on me even standing still sometimes. I would like to try these Nike shox and the night boot. I will try the peppermint oil too.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  12:04:01 PM  Show Profile
Nike Shox are available at most stores that sell athletic wear. Stores like Hibbets, foot locker, sports authority. You can also get them online at Nike.com. I have seen nightboots online but I made my own as they are quite expensive.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  12:44:19 PM  Show Profile
UHG, sounds like you had a horrible dr!

Not all drs are like that. SOME are! I know for sure. *hugs* So sorry you got a jerk!

One thing I have learned, is there is NO getting "used" to something. If something gives you pain that's your bodies way of saying do NOT do this! So you are right, you shouldn't try to "train" your feet to not hurt! That's insanity. Sorry you had a such a jerk.

I've had more then my share of those kinds as well. Grrrr.

Thankfully I have always had good podiatrist.

But, I had a bad back surgeon, bad ob, and many bad MD's. So I can so relate to what you are saying.

My back surgeon told me my leg pain was my leg feeling bad for my back. After the surgery. At 12 years old I believed him.

When I was pg, I had to go to the anesthesiologist to see if I could have a EPI cause of my previous two back surgeries. (come to find out I can't, so I always get the fun of having all natural birth! lol It was fine thankfully!). Any way, he took one look at my x-rays and said you have severe pain in your left leg don't you. I said, yes. I have ever since my first back surgery. I think it was the body cast that cut off circulation and I was in it for a year. He said that could have some to do with it. BUT, the real reason is, this dr messed up big time, and put a screw right through the nerve that controls your left leg. And then he pointed it out to me! UHG!

So see, I know about the jerks! Grrr. Again so sorry about your experience that is awful.
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  1:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
How do you make a night boot?

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  12:23:55 PM  Show Profile
My husband suffered several years with a condition known as plantar faciitis (spelling?). It was explained to him that it was a membrane in his foot which extends between the toes and the heel through the arch. It's about the thickness of saran wrap. This membrane gets twisted when the foot is relaxed and then when you stand up you get a horrible stretching/tearing sensation on the bottom of your foot. Once you've been on your feet awhile, the membrane gets stretched out and doesn't hurt anymore until you are once again off of your feet and then it starts all over again.

DH got the shots and they didn't do any good. One Quack told him to take 9 advil 4 times a day for the pain! Of course that did nothing but hurt his stomach.

After not being able to stand it anymore he went back in and luckily saw a different doctor who prescribed some over the counter socks to wear to bed each night. I think they cost around $20.00 each. This sock was like a knee-hi with a band of velcro encirling the leg below the knee and a velcro strap that was attached at the toe. The whole idea was to attach the toe strap to the knee area and thus keep your foot flexed while you slept. It took DH a while to get used to sleeping with his foot flexed but once he did it gave him relief almost immediately. He used these socks for about a year and now only uses them when he's been on his feet a lot during the day.

This is the same principle of the "night boot". It's basically a way to keep your foot flexed while you're sleeping. I also have an Ex BIL who had the same condition and swears that Earth Shoes healed him. Those are the shoes that the toes are higher than the heels so I could see where that might have helped.

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  7:19:14 PM  Show Profile
This is interesting since recently I have been having heel pain but usually after I've been on my feet all day and also if I sit down for awhile and then get up it really hurts...like in the morning when I first get up. I wear really good shoes but wondering if I need a gel insert but I like the sound of some the recommendations you all have made here like the Nike Shox and the special sox. I don't like going to the doctor unless REALLY necessary because they WILL find something wrong with you! LOL! But I will try this things out for sure. Thanks! I hope I don't have that plantar faciatis!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:14:07 PM  Show Profile
Very helpful information...going to try to make a night boot or sock or something similar. Thanks for the help.
Linda
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Feet Pain Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page