dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2005 :  6:51:01 PM  Show Profile
Tammy and I were talking about her room, mixing chambray with different colors, and it inspired me to make a new topic about color schemes. Don't get me wrong, I think there can be a dramatic effect using one to three colors in a room. But there is also a wonderful freedom in not having a scheme at all. My kitchen and livingroom do not have color schemes. With white walls, I keep the walls like a blank canvas and let the art color the room. This gives me a free rein to add anything that suits me to the room instead of worrying about a purple clashing with a teal. The room has a balance and continuity to it because the floors (hardwood), ceiling and woodwork (sage), and terracotta colored leather couches ground everything. If you are working with natural wood, leather, and neutral tones, you can basically do anything you want. Throw red in with yellow and it still doesn't look like a circus. There is a great relief and freedom to it all. I guess it is an eclectic way to look at color. Afterall, nature does not always work with a color scheme and it looks wonderful and natural. Anyone out there who has done this too? I would love to hear about your rooms.

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  06:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I used to be a decorator, Diane, so I know what you mean.
I really don't like white walls - after renting for a few years and living with them... I swore never again!

I lean toward sagey greens, light french blues, and a sophisticated hazelnut tan, light enough. The blue and hazelnut go beautifully together, and my dark wood furniture looks great with it. My chairs and couch have simple off-white slipcovers. So yes I limited myself, but they are colors I like and naturally lean toward anyway. I can add a deep red to the hazelnut, or deep green, for the holidays. In the fall, browns and oranges look great in the French blue kitchen, and browns also still go with the living room.

I never use yellow or any "loud" colors... but if I did, it would still go in the kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  08:35:24 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, your home sounds lovely. I just wanted to send the message that by maintaining a color scheme, you are sometimes locked in. You can end up passing on something that you really love just because it doesn't work with specific colors. As a fellow interior designer, you know the benefits of both sides. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  5:25:14 PM  Show Profile
hi all, i did my barn mustard and red! what was i thinking?imjust goinging to live with it. i had seen it on an old barn. it looks kind like a buddest place i saw once.not so bad randi
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 29 2005 :  2:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Randi, I liked your courage trying a color combination like mustard and red. I am thinking though, that as the barn ages it will look more like the picture. Maybe I'm wrong, but I still think trying something new and out-of-character is a great thing. So you can live with it, or change one of the colors when you can. Short of childbirth and murder, anything can be fixed!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  08:16:50 AM  Show Profile
When it comes to color schemes, I'm at a loss, and fall back on the basic white. Can't go wrong on that.

We have two windows that face toward the sun almost all day. I collect crystal fobs from Swarovski Crystal in Austria. To date, there are probably over two dozen crystals hanging in the window. In winter when the sun is the lowest, and we are in the house more, it really is dazzling and what pictures we have get lost in all the prisms. You can always tell when winter is just about over, 'cause there won't be many rainbows on the walls. For whimsy I even hung one of those small disco balls too. FUN!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Free Yourself Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page