Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic catch phrases Next Topic  

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  5:37:08 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
I was writing a letter today and as I was re-reading it, I was surprised at how my favorite phrases have changed. Like now I find myself saying, "what is,is" and "not so much" and "who knew"!! How do I get started with these? Just a while ago "neat" and "cool" and "awesome" did the trick just fine. Am I influenced by the world around me or what!!!

What are you catching yourselves saying new these days? 

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  7:18:30 PM  Show Profile
Debbie:
Last week, my best college friend spent the week down in Louisiana with me. She has a catch phrase, I guess one would call it that. "Holy Cow." I've been saying that all week. LOL I never say that, but I heard her say it so much, I find myself saying it.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  7:20:58 PM  Show Profile
"There's not a bit of telling." I didn't realize how much I use this one until DH said it to me. I don't know where I picked it up. It sure sounds like my grandmother though. Hmm. There's not a bit of telling where it came from. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  8:11:48 PM  Show Profile
I usually notice if I am saying something new for awhile if I hear my oldest daughter say it..she tends to pick up my speech I guess...so I need to watch myself. I guess I was saying..."Crap on a Cracker!!" when I was dissapointed or something went wrong..caught her saying it....had to chuckle..but have to stop..dosn't sound good...didn't when I said it either.
I tend to not say the regular Utah things..having not lived here my whole life..only 6 years ..but I get a kick out of them..and my kids DO say most of them....
Oh my heck! is one that always cracks me up.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  06:21:52 AM  Show Profile
When people call on the phone and ask how I am I always say "Not too shabby." I don't know where or when I started saying it, but it just automatically pops out :) I guess I must say it a lot because my step-dad has started teasing me about it!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  06:32:37 AM  Show Profile
I find myself saying "Good night above!" a lot lately. Not sure why, it just comes out. "Can you imagine such a thing?!" is something else that flows from my mouth frequently and when I don't really want to hear what soemone is saying, I imitate my chickens - "Bawka, bawka, bawka..." They must think I am insane.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  06:57:02 AM  Show Profile
well .. ya'll know some of my own little 'colloquialisms' .. that i've picked up since retiring 'down south' heah .. and writing for a magazine about my 'kentucky ramblins' ... ain't .. t'aint .. (as in "t'aint nary a har on her haid" .. golllleeeee .. throw in a few of my enthusiastic "WOWZERS" .. my 'doooooooooooooooooooo jezuz'es' (i grew up hearing my 'nannie' exclaim that from time to time!) .. i love "and that's the story of it" .. and my more 'nawthern learn't expression: FOLLOW YOUR BLISS.

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2008 :  09:35:49 AM  Show Profile
I know from hearing or reading these little phrases, I start to pick it up. I still say 'cool'...another is 'fun in the sun', whether the actual event is fun, or just sarcastic...doing something with dread or drudgery. I've found myself starting to say, 'awesome', but I've tried to make a conscience effort not to say it, as it's said so much...don't want to get myself 'sucked in'. lol :)

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic catch phrases Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page