Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Drying Gourds To Make Into Baskets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Drying Gourds To Make Into Baskets Next Topic  

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  09:59:25 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone know the best way to dry gourds? I have seen dried gourds made into baskets with wire & twig handles and would like to give it a try for upcoming holiday gifts.

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2008 :  10:20:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda - my daughter does gourd art every year. This year she used part of one of my greenhouses so that we could rotate plantings...they must like it in there, there are over 100 gourds and you have to duck to get in there! If one of them hits you in the head you're a goner!!
She takes them all off in the fall once the plants have died and puts them on newsprint on shelves in our utility room where it's nice and warm. Some will mold to ridiculous levels, but as long as they are not soft, they are okay and I had to see it to believe it, but the mold actually makes beautiful, natural looking mottling. When they feel light in weight and sound hollow when tapped with a finger, they are dry and she then dons a mask and scrubs them clean with a tiny bit of bleach/water.

Di on VI
Farmgirl Sister #73
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Drying Gourds To Make Into Baskets Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page