Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  7:49:59 PM  Show Profile
Oreos have always tasted like charcoal to me...and crisco and sugar is how I would describe the filling too. My husband just loves them and always has some stashed somewhere.
I love my juices as one flavor too...especially grapefruit.
One of my favorite oils is toasted sesame oil, which is expensive but gives fried rice or stir fry veggies just the right taste.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2005 :  9:01:24 PM  Show Profile
My mother used to bake pies to sell to the local restaurants in town. She only used lard in her pie crust and it was the best I've ever had.

I keep a very small can of Crisco that I use once in a while if I need it for a recipe. But mostly use butter, olive oil, and canola oil.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  08:10:40 AM  Show Profile
o do I feel like the girl in brown shoes in a room full of suits. I praise the Lard now pass me my biscuits!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  11:19:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Ellen, you are so brutally honest and so funny and dear all at the same time,I just love you! If I ever get down your way again, I am comin over for a feed and a song... darn tootin!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  4:29:52 PM  Show Profile
Here Here Ellen!!! And I bet you bake from scratch too!
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  11:48:15 AM  Show Profile
Ellen, the only thing keeping me from trying lard is that it's not kosher. I would totally try it otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  1:05:18 PM  Show Profile
I can't eat anything cooked in lard because I am allergic to anything that comes from a pig. I didn't know until recently that my paternal grandfather was the same way and he was a pig farmer! Mom said it got to the point where they were begging him to retire because every time they tried to take the hogs to market, he would start sneezing and his nose and eyes would be streaming before they could get them all on the truck. Then someone else would have to drive them.

On a lighter note: when I was little, I used to have my parents convulsing with laughter when I would refer to the famous book by Alexandre Dumas as "The Count of Monte Crisco"

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  1:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Sharon_ In answer to your question about substitutions... For things like cakes I have started using a small amount of butter and applesauce(not chunky!). In chocolate recipes for cakes and brownies I also sometimes use a small amount of butter and prune puree. (I know ..sounds yucky but actually enhances the chocolate with no prune taste!)If the recipe calls for 1 cup shortening try 3/4 fruit , 1/4 butter. For recipes where the cake/brownie is moist and chewy I have seen no difference except they are healthier. For cookies I am an all butter cookie maker so I don't skimp but I never liked the taste of cookies made with crisco anyway. I have always used butter for pie crust though my Mom made heavenly crusts with Crisco! My latest trend is to try making pies with alternative crusts to reduce fat and calories, etc. In the "What's For Dinner?" section I mentioned a recipe for quiche that has a mushroom , bread crumb and 2 Tbs butter crust. That's a big difference just in calories! If you have any questions just email me, hope that helped!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  10:54:48 AM  Show Profile
There is an excellent article in Food&Wine magazine about lard and how it is making a comeback in cooking...The December '05 issue.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  12:39:22 PM  Show Profile
A guest asked Martha Stewart this morning, what lard is. Martha explained and said it's not bad for you, as long as it's organic. I was under the impression that it IS bad for you...? Haven't read your link yet, Meadowlark. I'm sure I'll learn something new!
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  12:40:23 PM  Show Profile
Sorry - not a link - Food and Wine...I'll check it out.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  1:06:22 PM  Show Profile
KJD, there are a lot of fats people used to believe were really bad for you, until we realized that the substitutes for those fats were as bad or worse. For instance, margarine and crisco are really, really bad for you. Butter and lard are not the greatest, but not as bad as margarine and crisco. Soybean and canola oil are okay, but the best oils for you are olive, avocado and flax oil.

It's kind of complicated. The worst kind of fats are trans fatty acids, which are in lab-created stuff like vegetable shortenings and margarines. After that are saturated fats, which are in animal fats and tropical oils like palm and coconut.

Unsaturated fats are divided into monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. Monounsaturated are oils like olive and avocado, and they're the best. Polyunsaturated oils are most other vegetable oils like soybean, canola, grapeseed, flax, walnut, etc. Some polyunsaturated oils are heavy in Omega-3 fatty acids, while some are heavy in Omega-6. We need to get a balance of Omega-3 and Omega-6 for optimum health, but the problem is that most people get more Omega-6 than Omega-3. Flax oil is loaded with Omega-3, but canola and soybean oils are Omega-6.

I hope that helps. I know it's confusing.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  3:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Well, I do agree with you - natural all the way. Only use butter here, and olive oil - don't use margarine or anything artificial. Thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  3:57:21 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls. MaryJane talks about oils in her book (Farm Kitchen section, p. 87). She clears up some myths about coconut oil, and tells why that is her favorite oil. I can tell you that she makes the best popcorn, hands-down, using organic coconut oil!

Carol

she laughed and laughed ...
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  4:02:04 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmmm...I always have that on hand (for soap making) and will just have to do some popcorn with it. I keep going back and re reading stuff from the book..I had to have skimmed that part..shame on me!!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  2:21:46 PM  Show Profile
Hmmm.... My holistic vet/chiropractor has me feeding coconut oils to my dogs because they're medium chain fatty acids. Also flax oil, but only if I can get it from a source where they keep it refrigerated all the time.

I've tasted it, and I think it's gross. I'm an unsalted butter/olive oil kind of girl.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile
for those of you that don't use "buisquick" anymore you can make your own generic brand of baking mix and use all organic products to make it if you like. If anyone is interested in the recipe, let me know and I will post it.

"I wanna touch the earth, I want to break it in my hands, I want to grow something wild and unruly"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I threw out 8 year old Crisco! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page